Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default I need a sturdy toddler proof baby gate.

Any suggestions? Ella is very quickly reaching the age when I'm going to have to move her to a big girl bed. She's still in her crib with a crib tent but where once I would place her in it, zip her up and she'd lay down and go to sleep, she's now totally balking at it. Last night she cried for over an hour. But for now she needs to be there for safety. Her room is upstairs and she's still not able to go up and down them alone..she tries to go too fast and if I weren't holding onto her she'd fall. Soooo. When I do move her to a big girl bed I'm going to need a gate at her bedroom door that I can trust she will not be able to climb over, open or knock down on her own.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't found a gate that works for us. BUT....I will say that I put a child safety door knob cover on Landon's bedroom door and closed his door. He couldn't open his door which just eliminated the worry of him getting to those stairs before I could help him. I also kept a monitor in his room so I could hear when he was up or scared. He never played in his room during the day....it was always the living room. The only time he was in his room (at that age) was to sleep so this worked for us.

I am in the need of a great gate though so I will be following this thread!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Tara...I've thought about doing that too...but I think I'd still want a gate at the top of the stairs if I did just for extra safety..that way I could get to her before she actually got to the stairs. She's such a monkey though I don't know if I can find anything she can't get over. We have gates downstairs that she's already climbed over several times but with those I'm in the room with her so I can usually catch her before she starts to climb.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't find the one we used but it is similar to this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Ea...ndingMethod=rr

We had one that was attached to the wall on one side and pressure mounted on the other side. It could swing open and closed with a handle on the top. Mine were not climbers so I didn't have to deal with that. We also mounted it a little bit off the ground so that it was higher up and they couldn't try to hang off of it. We used it in the kitchen.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We just used the standard wooden pressure gate in their door, but we used two of them stacked on top of one another since they are not very tall. It worked fine with my youngest but my oldest... well.. he figured out that he could work the top gate upward to create a gap that he could wiggle through. But he also figured out how to get out of the crib tent by wiggling his finger around over where the zipper ends until he got it to slide up enough to leave a space for him to climb out.

Friend of mine installed a screen door on her toddler's bedroom with two hook & eye latches on the outside, one low & one high because her son freaked out when the door was shut & he couldn't see out to the hall.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

You are probably gonna have to look online somewhere. I am looking for a few for our deck and nothing I find in the stores is "approved" for top of step use!!!

And can I suggest these safety knobs...best thing ever invented!!!

They are better then the "normal" kind (the ones that have the rubber grippy thing you grasp to turn the knob) because my last two (yes even my 20 month old) can kind of "hang on" those gripper kind and the doors pop right open!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by mummytothree; 06-17-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fixed my link *oops*
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I wish I could give some advice...Peyont climbed out of his crib before he was 1, destroyed everybaby gate we had whether he went over it or practically pulled it out of the wall, and those door knob things, yeah he figured out how to get those off of his door!!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We really liked our Kidco baby gate (we just took it down a few weeks ago). It was at the base of our stairs for the longest time - and then we moved it to Blake's bedroom door. He never tried to climb over it so I don't know how well it works for a climber but we really liked it. (we used the pressure mount which doesn't look like should be used for the top of the stairs). Here is their website: http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=1

Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I wonder why kind my gate is... I love it. It's on top of the stairs that goes in the basement. The way it opens is that you have to push down on the little lever and pull the gate up. An adult can do it with one hand... toddlers can't. My son was able to defeat every safety item on the market but that gate... and his still baffles him... my friend had one of those where the lever lifts up - her daughter got through that with no problem...

This looks like the one we have... oh, because we didn't want to drill into the banister, my hubby took a piece of wood, attached the gate to that and tie strapped it to the banister... has been there for 4 years and it's not moving.

http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-G20-Safe...cmu_pg__header
Old 06-17-2011, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We have this one (in black) at the top of our stairs, and it has been great! It is tall enough that no one has ever attempted to climb over it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Swin...8332554&sr=8-4

Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

what about getting one of those alarm things you can turn on/off so if she does open the door you would hear an alarm in addition to the childsafty thing for the door handle?

a link:
http://www.mypreciouskid.com/wireless-door-alarm.html

alot of people use them if they have a pool as well. It will alert you the door has been opened. Ive also heard of people putting them in cabinets they do not want their children in.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 06-17-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We have this one. It attaches to the wall and then is pressurized on the other side. It is pretty sturdy and has worked so far for us.

http://www.thefirstyears.com/product...A?locale=en_US
Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would highly recommend this one (I have two that I use for daycare)...

Evenflo Crosstown Soft Portable Travel Gate
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have one of these in our bedroom doorway to keep the dog out & we love it! We got the tall one so we don't have to bend over to open it!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Baby...ndingMethod=rr
We got it in white since we have white doors & it blends right in!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Lukasmummy Send a message via MSN to Lukasmummy Send a message via Yahoo to Lukasmummy

I don't use a gate I taught Logan to go down the stairs on his tummy backwards since he was really little never had any issue with him falling down, did the same with Lukas when he was little. Hugs Crystal xx
Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Hmm... I wonder why kind my gate is... I love it. It's on top of the stairs that goes in the basement. The way it opens is that you have to push down on the little lever and pull the gate up. An adult can do it with one hand... toddlers can't. My son was able to defeat every safety item on the market but that gate... and his still baffles him... my friend had one of those where the lever lifts up - her daughter got through that with no problem...

This looks like the one we have... oh, because we didn't want to drill into the banister, my hubby took a piece of wood, attached the gate to that and tie strapped it to the banister... has been there for 4 years and it's not moving.

http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-G20-Safe...cmu_pg__header
We had one like that that was extra wide and it worked great. Then when we moved to TX we got this one (we had a narrower hallway) http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Top-St...8339072&sr=8-2 If I knew how much it would cost to ship it, I'd sent it to you!

For bottom of stairs and doorways we used this one: http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Year...339226&sr=8-18, it is very strong and they cannot open it, but an adult can open it quickly. Plus they cannot get a footing to climb over, and its portable.

I'm going to be selling some babygates soon with our garage sale. Guess my 4.5 and 7 year olds don't need them anymore!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Any suggestions? Ella is very quickly reaching the age when I'm going to have to move her to a big girl bed. She's still in her crib with a crib tent but where once I would place her in it, zip her up and she'd lay down and go to sleep, she's now totally balking at it. Last night she cried for over an hour. But for now she needs to be there for safety. Her room is upstairs and she's still not able to go up and down them alone..she tries to go too fast and if I weren't holding onto her she'd fall. Soooo. When I do move her to a big girl bed I'm going to need a gate at her bedroom door that I can trust she will not be able to climb over, open or knock down on her own.

This is exactly where we're at! Except our daugher *knock on wood* still goes to bed with no problems. She just wakes up super early in the morning and cries and cries.
We were thinking about putting a baby gate in her doorway too, but she likes to sleep with her bedroom door closed so we can't put one in there. But since we're afraid that anyday now she'll climb out.. and since she can open the door she can go anywhere in the house... we may have to put an-easy release (for us) lock on the outside so she can't open the door. Her whole room is baby-safe so it's no prob there.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have this one for the bottom of our stairs:
http://www.summerinfant.com/Products...Thru-Gate.aspx

And a similar one for the top of the stairs. The bottom one is pressure mounted, but the one at the top is mounted to the wall in the studs. If they push on the downstairs gate and it goes over, no big deal...but pushing hard enough at the top of the stairs can result in a pretty bad spill! I've had several friends whose kids have fallen down their stairs because they were able to push hard enough to get the gate to come down.

My son is a CLIMBER - DD never was. He also likes to come down the stairs much, much faster than any 20-month-old should. Trying to teach him to come down on his hiney or his tummy is like nailing Jello to the wall. So I feel your pain!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have no advice about the gates, but I would concentrate on teaching her the safe way to go up and down the stairs. e.g. on her tummy sliding backwards or on her bum shuffling down the stairs. Spend some time with her several days in a row just going up and down the stairs, teaching her not to walk down them, but to slide or crawl down. Then, in the event the gate is inadvertently left open one day, she'll be able to safely negotiate the stairs.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
I would highly recommend this one (I have two that I use for daycare)...

Evenflo Crosstown Soft Portable Travel Gate
When my twins were toddlers, we had to block off part of our downstairs - I couldn't chase both at the same time! And we used the above gates at each opening to our family room/kitchen area. The boys were BIG climbers too, but never got over those.

Oh, and all my boys crawled out of their cribs about 18 months. One time my parents were in town and we left my dad home with Wyatt, who was upstairs taking a nap. When we got home, Wyatt was downstairs, so I asked my dad what time he got him out of bed. And my dad said "oh, he just came downstairs by himself" - that was the first time he crawled out of his crib. Yikes!

Last edited by maryinaz; 06-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks I'm going to check all these out

She's in a crib tent and can't get out..so right now she can cry and be mad all she wants she's staying put. But she'll be 3 in December so pretty soon I'll have to move her to a big bed.

I've always shown her how to go down on her bottom..but I have a seriously SERIOUSLY stubborn 2 year old on my hands..so even though she knows how to do it that way I can't trust that she will.

She's just going through something right now...I have NEVER ever had trouble with her napping or going to sleep..ever. And then all of a sudden this week she's decided she wants to scream and cry..b/c she has to go to bed earlier than Avery I guess. Yesterday she stood up in her crib for an hour with her blanket over her head and wouldn't nap..and then last night when she was utterly exhausted from no nap I put her to bed and she stood the same way crying for 2 1/2 hours!!

She is most definitely going through the terrible twos.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
For bottom of stairs and doorways we used this one: http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Year...339226&sr=8-18, it is very strong and they cannot open it, but an adult can open it quickly. Plus they cannot get a footing to climb over, and its portable.

my cousin has two of these for her kids. she loves those gates. and they're pretty easy for an adult to open.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We put saftety knobs on the inside of the boys' room so they couldn't open their door...worked for at least a year at then they could safely go up and down the stairs.

For downstairs we had three gates...two of the pressure wooden gates and then we had one that actually attached to the wall on both sides and opened up like a gate. That one was REALLY nice except for the fact we have two screw holes in our wall now...we put this one between the family room and kitchen.