Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default What was I thinking?

I signed myself up for a few hours to help my son’s school with their book fair. What was I thinking? I am NOT a fan of children that aren’t my own! ugh. I hope these little stinkers don’t kill me and I survive the morning/afternoon.

What’s on your agenda for the day?
Please tell me you aren’t punishing yourself too!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh...may the force be with you. Those book fairs are chaotic!

I volunteered to operate a game booth for an hour at my son's school carnival on Friday. I'm making my daughter help me. Hahaha!

Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I am NOT a fan of children that aren’t my own!
OMG - I laughed right out loud. I knew I liked you.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am a HORRIBLE mom and I never volunteer. My mom volunteered for EVERYTHING so I often feel bad I don't do the same.

I have really bad social anxiety (this last year has brought it on so bad) and while I don't use that as an excuse it makes it darn near impossible for me to gather up courage to go for stuff like that
Old 10-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh I LOOOOOVE book fairs! I used to volunteer all the time at my mom’s when she was an elementary school librarian. I’d bring my babies with me and we’d make a day out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 12:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE working the book fair! The kids are just so darn excited about BOOKS! And that makes me so happy! (Although the kids at our school always want the pens, posters, journals, etc more but our librarian hides those until family night... lol).

Good luck Wendy! I remember the book fairs at Abrams Elem. and those were kind of boring compared to ours here so you'll probably be straightening over and over again. Pick up some of the science and nature books, or the ones on WWII or Underground Railroad locations and read up. That's what I do! :P
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Good luck at the Book Fair Wendy! I helped set up a book fair but not work it.

Today is getting a few chores done and then having lunch with my hubby. Today I'm trying to take it easy because tomorrow...well tomorrow I will be subbing for an all day kindergarten class. Haha...so wish me luck tomorrow!

Old 10-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I am torturing myself too.... I decided it was time to do a 'deep clean' on the boys' room.... their room is almost finished and back in order now, but the rest of my house looks like a tornado went through it with all the stuff I moved and removed that they no longer need.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did laundry, dishes and got out more of my fall/cold weather clothing today.

I LOVED volunteering at the bookfair for my youngest! I actually got a free book for doing so! Yes, it can be chaotic...but it's fun to see a love of reading in young kids! And straightening up the rows/piles/displays helped me see all the other books being offered! It was also fun to help kids find books they may enjoy!

Hope you had/have a fun time!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Oh gosh...may the force be with you. Those book fairs are chaotic!

I volunteered to operate a game booth for an hour at my son's school carnival on Friday. I'm making my daughter help me. Hahaha!
You aren't helping!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Like you I don't much care for other people's kids. I don't mind my kids' besties from daycare though, but as they get older and get a personality and some sass it's not my thing. I'm horrible at voluntering for things and prefer to just do our thing.

For today though, emptying and cleaning our outside spa for winter and making dinner (both after work) will be more than enough.

Good luck on the book fair!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One of the best parts about living 15 minutes away from your retired kindergarten teacher mother is that SHE volunteers in the classroom, goes on the field trips, etc. and it still counts as YOUR contribution.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
OMG - I laughed right out loud. I knew I liked you.
And I you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I am a HORRIBLE mom and I never volunteer. My mom volunteered for EVERYTHING so I often feel bad I don't do the same.

I have really bad social anxiety (this last year has brought it on so bad) and while I don't use that as an excuse it makes it darn near impossible for me to gather up courage to go for stuff like that
I homeschooled for most of the girls elementary/middle school years so I never had the opportunity to do these fun things. I figured I had off today, why not volunteer my time. Now I'm wishing I hadn't because I have to listen to kids all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
Good luck at the Book Fair Wendy! I helped set up a book fair but not work it.

Today is getting a few chores done and then having lunch with my hubby. Today I'm trying to take it easy because tomorrow...well tomorrow I will be subbing for an all day kindergarten class. Haha...so wish me luck tomorrow!
I didn't know you taught!!! Can you come to my son's school in Dec/Jan and sub for him until his original teacher comes back? They will be losing their long-term sub that took over the first week of school due to a military move. They need a nice sub!

--------------------------------------------

And you guys, I didn't know I had to clean up the books.
I just thought I was there to make sure the kiddos didn't steal and to take their money when they got their books. No one said anything about cleaning, straightening up a mess!! In fact, they didn't tell me anything other than "we need volunteers"

Guess it's true---a sucker is born every day
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

And you guys, I didn't know I had to clean up the books.
I just thought I was there to make sure the kiddos didn't steal and to take their money when they got their books. No one said anything about cleaning, straightening up a mess!! In fact, they didn't tell me anything other than "we need volunteers"

Guess it's true---a sucker is born every day
Wendy, for real... the book fair used to be set up in one big circle at the library there but the little jerks were throwing books over the edge to their partner in crime on the other side and stealing them! If I remember Abrams only goes to 5th grade too right?!

The old librarian (who is no longer there sadly b/c she was awesome!) had to change the set up just b/c of that. I guess I'm totally naive b/c at 10 or 11 the thought of stealing from the book fair would have NEVER crossed my mind.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOL good luck!

I think the clean up part I would like doing. I've always liked organizing. Well it's not really the liked part. It's the end result!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I didn't know you taught!!! Can you come to my son's school in Dec/Jan and sub for him until his original teacher comes back? They will be losing their long-term sub that took over the first week of school due to a military move. They need a nice sub!
I taught first and second grade for seven years before deciding to be a SAHM when I had my daughter. I didn't want to teach knowing my paycheck would basically just be paying for someone else to watch my two kids. At the end of last year I decided to start subbing in the classrooms as a way to get back into teaching, just not full time. That way I can still have more time with my kiddos.

I'm still undecided about being a long term sub at the moment lol. If it was a first or second grade I might consider it. That stinks about the kids losing their long term sub. Hopefully they find a nice replacement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2018, 08:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness, Wendy! You made me laugh!! How did it go? Did you just volunteer for today?

My aunt is visiting from California this week. So, I am playing tour guide. We had a super fun day today touring downtown Boise! No we're trying to figure out where to go eat dinner. I'm going to have so many amazing photos to scrap!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Good luck, Wendy!
That's one of the reasons why I don't really volunteer. I go super awkward around other kids. :-/
Old 10-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I didn't do the book fair, but I used to head up the Christmas Craft fair group. We would start making things as soon as school started. Just little things that the kids could buy for their families for a little bit of money. That was hell. I love crafting, so that part was easy but being in charge of people who I can't fire, drove me nuts. So many people would volunteer their time and then do nothing. Ugh. Once we moved and my son was out of that school, I never volunteered again. Lesson Learned.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
The kids are just so darn excited about BOOKS!
NOT at my kids' book fairs- the kids are just so darn excited about the overpriced stupid crappy toys. AND they pay for them with their pocket money (aka- baggy full of pennies!!!)

I sign up every year too and EVERY TIME I always say the same thing to myself! I try to sign up during the evening/conference hours because it's more "kids WITH THEIR parents" & less "mad shopping for toys during recess with pennies."
Old 10-17-2018, 02:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, I volunteer because my daugheter said I should, she feels left out when she doesn't see me or her dad in school volunteering Then I just stand there and smile at everyone while I follow the older/leader mom's instructions
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
NOT at my kids' book fairs- the kids are just so darn excited about the overpriced stupid crappy toys. AND they pay for them with their pocket money (aka- baggy full of pennies!!!)

I sign up every year too and EVERY TIME I always say the same thing to myself! I try to sign up during the evening/conference hours because it's more "kids WITH THEIR parents" & less "mad shopping for toys during recess with pennies."
That along with the stupid stuff that is now in the scholastic flyers drives me CRAZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hope it went okay, Wendy! I actually like helping out in the elementary school. I'll admit that I'm selfish enough that I only want to volunteer if I can be with my kids' classes. They ask for book fair volunteers way before we have the schedule of when each class is going, so I've never volunteered for it.

Next week I'm chaperoning the 4th grade class trip to Jamestowne and Colonial Williamsburg. We're in Northern Virginia, so it's 3-4 hours there and 3-4 hours back, maybe more if we hit traffic. :0 We leave at 6:15 am and get back after 7 pm. Help! At least this time there wasn't room on the bus, so I'll get to drive myself. I was a bus chaperone for my son's class a few years ago, and I ended up having to tell the teacher on one of the 4th graders who thought she could be rude and obnoxious because we were in the back of the bus, far from the teachers. (I'm pretty tolerant and easy going, so you know it was bad if it got to the point where I had to report it to the teachers!)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

so my time volunteering at the book fair was SO easy!!! This was my view during the time volunteering. I sold over $100 worth of product, mostly to teachers and parents. Only a handful of children came in and purchased.

That is until my son came in to the room and we shopped for a little while before buying a couple of books, which the proceeds went towards the school's library as well as because I volunteered, my books were tax-free!

We ended up getting these books
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
I taught first and second grade for seven years before deciding to be a SAHM when I had my daughter. I didn't want to teach knowing my paycheck would basically just be paying for someone else to watch my two kids. At the end of last year I decided to start subbing in the classrooms as a way to get back into teaching, just not full time. That way I can still have more time with my kiddos.

I'm still undecided about being a long term sub at the moment lol. If it was a first or second grade I might consider it. That stinks about the kids losing their long term sub. Hopefully they find a nice replacement.
That makes sense. I hope you can get back in to teaching full-time and in the grade that you want. When my oldest was first starting school, her kindergarten teacher HATED kindergarten and as a result, she was a HORRIBLE teacher. The following year, my daughter had her again and I feared it was going to be a horrible year. Turns out she LOVES first grade and that is her desired grade. As a result, it was one of her best elementary years! So I completely get how one grade can make a HUGE difference!!

My son's teacher fell and broke her hip the first week of school. I'd say she's in her late 60's, maybe 70's, so her healing isn't the greatest. She was supposed to be back in October, then November and now it's currently December. The long-term sub, who is actually the librarian stepped in. She applied for long-term and the school granted due to lack of available teachers/subs. After talking to his teacher, she's leaving Dec 1 to move to Washington state and said they don't think his original teacher will be back until the new year. Currently my son's class is falling behind in their learning. They have some students ahead, some middle-ground (my son) and some falling behind. It's safe to say that their class is really struggling and everyone's worried about a new teacher coming in until their old teacher comes back, especially since the current teacher got the kids (who's parent deployed last month) behavior under control and a few who will be having their parents leaving in the next few weeks. I imagine being a teacher is rough, but dealing with kindergartners who are new to school, dealing with parents deploying and the behavior that comes from that as well as coming in to substitute must be hard. I don't envy her. She's doing an amazing job, given what she knows and has available to her. I will miss her when she leaves. My son took to her immediately and I hope he takes to whoever comes in next or develops a bond with his original teacher (if she ever comes back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I hope it went okay, Wendy! I actually like helping out in the elementary school. I'll admit that I'm selfish enough that I only want to volunteer if I can be with my kids' classes.
Same!!! I told my son's teacher that if she needs me, I'm only 5 minutes away from post that I can run over and help. But I'd dare not volunteer in another class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Next week I'm chaperoning the 4th grade class trip to Jamestowne and Colonial Williamsburg. We're in Northern Virginia, so it's 3-4 hours there and 3-4 hours back, maybe more if we hit traffic. :0 We leave at 6:15 am and get back after 7 pm. Help! At least this time there wasn't room on the bus, so I'll get to drive myself. I was a bus chaperone for my son's class a few years ago, and I ended up having to tell the teacher on one of the 4th graders who thought she could be rude and obnoxious because we were in the back of the bus, far from the teachers. (I'm pretty tolerant and easy going, so you know it was bad if it got to the point where I had to report it to the teachers!)
You are BRAVE!!!!! I could never. That's too long of a day with those little kids. You'll have to come back and tell us how it went as well as share some photos from your field trip!!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did lots of volunteering when my son was in elementary school, but I never did the book fair because I just wanted to enjoy it. I love the book fair. I even went on all except one field trip and I was so sad I couldn't go on that one.