Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Multiple-Kindle Homes, anyone?

So Parker and I were having a debate in the car about purchasing a second Kindle, one that would be strictly for the kids. I have a Kindle Fire, which we all love and it's greatly sought after, but I'm wondering if there are child-protection locks? I don't want them clicking that Buy with 1-Click option and racking up $$'s on the credit card...only mom gets to do that!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We are a two kindle house, but no small kids. I have one and my mom and son share one, which they hardly use. I use mine all the time, so I just don't get it.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good question. I have no idea if there is or not. We have 2 kindles here. I have a Touch and my daughter has a regular kindle (Kindle 4, I think). She is 10 and knows better than to purchase without permission so I don't worry about it. It would be nice to know though...
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have a 5 kindle house here, lol. Kindle fire does have parental controls, its under settings, and you can limit purchases, etc.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I bought my son an Ipod and I am pretty sure he bought something without asking. It wasnt a big purchase so I did not get to upset but I made sure to tell him not to buy anything at all without asking because our bank account is linked to the Ipod.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That's us too, it's one thing to buy a $.99 game, but if they started searching and clicking on everything that interested them by mistake, gah! It's way to easy now for me to do it with music.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

we are a 2 kindle fire household and they are completely sought out here too....you can turn the WiFi off and on and passowrd protect it...I also have my initial screen password protected so that they can't just "turn it on" whenever they please.....
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Within a reasonable amount of time (24 hours???) you can return a book. I accidentally purchased a book that I did not want and was able to return it for a refund to Amazon.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

You can password protect the wifi. We don't get 3G out here so I'm not sure about it. You also have 3 days to return anything you purchase (not 100% about music). I get an email within 15 minutes of a purchase & the one time my oldest bought something without asking I knew almost immediately, returned the book, set up the password & confiscated the cost of the return book from his allowance anyway as punishment. We've had no problems since. They ask for a book, we discuss payment (I make them pay up to half the cost of books over $3 and all of the cost of anything under $3) & then I buy it and send it to their kindle,
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have 5 here... mine aren't too young though, I simply set a never do it w/o asking unless its free and if they screw up once I take it away. They got them last christmas and I have never had an issue.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are a 4 Nook house; we each have our own. I've set my youngest (10) up with her own accounts for Pandora and other online things - with my e-mail so I know what she's up to. We have her linked to my husband's credit card and she knows she can't buy something unless she asks. Every now and then we'll treat her to a new game or a new book on her Nook as a reward for good behavior, being extra kind or helpful. We get a lot of our books from the library.

I have to say that I absolutely love that we all have eeaders and I think you're smart to keep them all with the same brand/company so it's easy to share and track what is going on. Just get yourself a kid proof case so you don't end up with a cracked screen!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We are a 3 kindle home. I have a 2nd generation kindle that's just mine. DS2 has a kindle fire and I have the parental controls set just like Jenn said and the one-click is password protected. DS3 has a keyboard kindle which has no games so it's easy.

I have to say, it's been cool having the three kindle's all tie to one account. We share books or read together, etc. We only added the second two kindles last month for my two youngest sons having birthdays and picking up used kindles from some family members who weren't using theirs.

My only gripe about the kindle fire, why did they take away the Text to speech feature? I have to loan my DS2 my old kindle so he can listen to a book, since his kindle fire can't do that... lame if you ask me.

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea G View Post
We are a 3 kindle home. I have a 2nd generation kindle that's just mine. DS2 has a kindle fire and I have the parental controls set just like Jenn said and the one-click is password protected. DS3 has a keyboard kindle which has no games so it's easy.

I have to say, it's been cool having the three kindle's all tie to one account. We share books or read together, etc. We only added the second two kindles last month for my two youngest sons having birthdays and picking up used kindles from some family members who weren't using theirs.

My only gripe about the kindle fire, why did they take away the Text to speech feature? I have to loan my DS2 my old kindle so he can listen to a book, since his kindle fire can't do that... lame if you ask me.
The reason it isn't currently integrated into the Kindle Fire, along with Collections, is because technically the Kindle Fire uses an 'app' for the books, rather than it being fully integrated into the operating system. There is talk about it being integrated on the next big software upgrade with the Kindle Fire 2(which is rumored to be coming this fall).
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know, but I know that my daughter has hit the buy now button before. Ug. Another thing I had happen was they were browsing the app store on the fire and came across some inappropriate content. I wish there was a way to block all that, and maybe there is. For now, the Fire is mine (they just use on occasion when we are waiting somewhere), and my oldest has a kindle - my 9 yo reads on it occasionally too.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The last time i looked, the return policy on Kindle books was 7 days, no questions asked.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have 2 kindles and then the girls have the app on their iphones/itouches and we have not had any problems with buying books without permission. The girls are pretty good about asking to hit purchase for anything on amazon, the kindles or itunes. I do know that you can return an accidental purchase for a book on your kindle like someone said.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have got 2 here. DH has one and I have one. He wouldn't have ANY idea about how to download anything. TBH - I am amazed he has learned to turn the kindle on cos he certainly has never learned how to switch the computer on
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
The reason it isn't currently integrated into the Kindle Fire, along with Collections, is because technically the Kindle Fire uses an 'app' for the books, rather than it being fully integrated into the operating system. There is talk about it being integrated on the next big software upgrade with the Kindle Fire 2(which is rumored to be coming this fall).
Ohhhh, well that makes sense. It would be cool if they had an ap for the kindle fire that enables the text to speech feature - for the first generation kindle fire. They should for sure have that on the new kindle fire. Thanks for the info- that's good to know.

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)