Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default So what are you getting your parents for Christmas?

I need to start on my list now because it will take me the 66 days that are left to figure it out.

My parents are so hard to shop for. They get the yearly family portrait and usually a Shutterfly photobook. Beyond that I am stumped.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh man, my family is hard, too!

Both sets of parents get a calendar. That part is a given.

The moms are easy to buy for, but the dads are nearly impossible. So we try to get them someting together. Sometimes we're more successful than others. Last year, we got both my parents and Marti's digital photo frames. They LOVED them.

No ideas this year. It'll have to be something inexpensive (*sigh*)
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was thinking of making a calendar for them - I usually buy one but now I have a new skill :-) I'm also quilting my mom some placemats. I found this terrific lobster fabric that I'm going to do them out of (they live in Maine).
Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Probably a photo book and calendar for my mom -- nothing for my father if I can help it! (long story!)

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did a Shutterfly book for my ILs this year but I don't know what I'll be giving my parents at all. This year is going to be a GC kind of year I think. I'll be shopping enough for my girls...I don't feel like shopping for everyone else too.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I dunno..

well my dad I usually make some food LOL.. brownies cookies etc. Last year, ce bought him some spongebob golf balls (haha really.. and insisted he use them, they were well.. flourescent yellow of course).

for my mom.. I had jamie (jooms) make her a pretty bracelet (of course now I Can't remember where her etsy is.. ) one year, I can't remember if that was last year.. it must have been. I've also bought her other lil things.. like a hand blown glass hangy thinger for her garden.. stuff like that she likes.

this year, no clue. things are... tighter now that it's jus tme and the kidlet, dad will be easy as usual... mom I'll have to think for a while.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

ooh i always love to see what others get their parents for Christmas. I always have to think super hard on what to get them! This year i have decided to get my parents a smoker, it cooks up to 50 pound of meat at a time. Thinking about getting the in laws one too.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
I dunno..

well my dad I usually make some food LOL.. brownies cookies etc. Last year, ce bought him some spongebob golf balls (haha really.. and insisted he use them, they were well.. flourescent yellow of course).

for my mom.. I had jamie (jooms) make her a pretty bracelet (of course now I Can't remember where her etsy is.. ) one year, I can't remember if that was last year.. it must have been. I've also bought her other lil things.. like a hand blown glass hangy thinger for her garden.. stuff like that she likes.

this year, no clue. things are... tighter now that it's jus tme and the kidlet, dad will be easy as usual... mom I'll have to think for a while.

I think she has links to her Etsy on MSA!

We are doing a small "beer" fridge for Tony's dad. This will be his gift between us, Tony's sister's family and Tony's brother's family. For his mom, no clue. I am making a calendar though.

For my parents, I have a Harley Davidson shirt for Mom's fiance, I think I'm getting her Guitar Hero for her PS2 LOL. They will probably also get a calendar.

My dad, no idea, but I have a desktop chipboard calendar that I'm doing (he's in high management, so total office guy). No idea for my step mom either.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm down to must my mom and mom-in-law now and both are impossible to shop for. They always just get whatever they want. My mom kept talking about this toaster/convection oven she wanted for her birthday which is next month and my sister and I were going to get it for her... well today at Sam's she bought it for herself and get this, she said it would be a birthday present to her from my dad who umm...passed away 7 months ago? ROFL so now we are back to square one for her birthday and for christmas. She doesn't like home made from the heart/pics of the kids kind of things so I really don't know what to do.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I'm knitting my mom a blanket. Might knit Jordan's mom one too, cuz it's simple and easy.
His Dad is getting a cd calendar with pictures of Tiger inside.
My Dad will most likely get a gift card to a musician's store, unless he gives me an idea for something specific from there.
My sister will get a knit scarf and a DVD. Brother with get a DVD or a gift card.
Jordan's one sister is getting a knit blanket. No idea what to get the other one. And I don't want to get his brother anything but a card that says "Merry Christmas, now move the &^@# out of my house".
Old 10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
And I don't want to get his brother anything but a card that says "Merry Christmas, now move the &^@# out of my house".
LMAO!!!! My BIL is probably moving in with us -- again. For the 3rd time since we've been married.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiepperson View Post
LMAO!!!! My BIL is probably moving in with us -- again. For the 3rd time since we've been married.
You think I'm joking, don't you! LOL! I'm so serious it's not even funny.
I told Jordan during the week, that I REFUSE to come home from our honeymoon next year and have him still living with us. He was like I'm not kicking him out, and if your bro or sis needed a place to live temporarily you'd do the same thing.

I responded with, "MORE THAN A YEAR IS NOT TEMPORARY!!!"
I want my home back for Christmas, that's all I ask for. Living with relatives is the WORST EVER.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

thinking of going C&C route . . . that would be calendar and cash . Cash is what my mom prefers and FIL is in a nursing home. Not much room for anything there.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
I'm knitting my mom a blanket. Might knit Jordan's mom one too, cuz it's simple and easy.
His Dad is getting a cd calendar with pictures of Tiger inside.
My Dad will most likely get a gift card to a musician's store, unless he gives me an idea for something specific from there.
My sister will get a knit scarf and a DVD. Brother with get a DVD or a gift card.
Jordan's one sister is getting a knit blanket. No idea what to get the other one. And I don't want to get his brother anything but a card that says "Merry Christmas, now move the &^@# out of my house".
Col - do you want me to mail the card to him for you? LMAO!!!!

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 PM

profile gallery send pm

LMAO Kat!! I'll keep it in mind
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

we only buy for the kids in the family and this year unfortunately unless things switch around and we start getting some work for my husband it wont be much for anyone. However on years where we did shop Id usually do a photo collage and buy them a gift card to somewhere I know they would like.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

Well, it's just my dad and he really, honestly never wants anything,lol. I'll just run across something that'll seem like something he'd like and get it,lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This year? A baby granddaughter!

My parents tend to buy themselves the things they want, so we usually keep it simple for the holidays. I'm making calendars and a gift from DS's artwork (Shutterfly mugs/tote bags/notebooks type of gifts but with my kids' artwork instead of photos). We also try to take them out for dinner around the holidays since they'd rather spend time with us than get things.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am giving them hybrid albums, a enlarged, framed photo of my son, calendars and I don't know. Might be it.

Last edited by lovely1m; 10-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

i was thinking about getting them tickets to see Wicked in SLC, plus an album.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

a hug.

oh, and an e-card.

actually we will be moving like the week before Christmas so we seriously are doing the head in the sand approach this year.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaBrandenburg View Post
a hug.

oh, and an e-card.

You're doing more than I am...and I'm not moving!!

My parents will get a phone call from the kids. DH's parents will get a calendar and a phone call. The only reason my parents don't get the calendar is because my mother thinks that my scrapping is a waste of time. Fun.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually do a year-in-the-life photobook, and then something like a gourmet food basket.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jocelinsmommy

im doing popcorn from notjustpopcorn website and then calendars...for my grandparents i'm doing handmade bread and jams

Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

For my parents I typically do something like food (Omaha Steaks, etc) or gift cards. They are at the point that they don't need much and whatever they might need, I certainly can't afford. LOL Plus they don't need more "stuff" to fill the house. I will probably do a hybrid album for them because they LOVE the one I gave my mom for Mother's Day. For my MIL, I will probably do a gift card or I'm thinking about doing that place where you make meals and take them home to freeze ( I can't think of the name!) since she is a widow she doesn't make meals for herself anymore. This would be a way to get her back to eating right, plus be a fun time.

edited to add-- this is the place I'm talking about for my MIL- http://dreamdinners.com/main.php?static=index

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 10-20-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For my mom and my hubby's parents I am making accordian albums. I'm using an album set by Kristin and poping in photos of my DD with my mom in hers, and photos of my DD with her grandparents for the in-law's album. This way they can fold it up to take it with them to show off their grandchild, or spread it out to display on the bookcase or on top of the entertainment stand etc.

My mom's album is printed, just have to pop in the photos for my in-law's album and then get them all put together... lol.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

2 years ago I wanted to get my in-laws something that my husband thought was a waste of money. last year I went to the Pittsburgh Mills mall and there was a mini booth selling tickets to the Benedum (where plays are put on) so I bought them 2 tickets for $75 where they could review what was coming and they got to pick their own show and date/time. Seats were primo seats because they were pre-purchased. My in-laws LOVED it so you know what they are getting again this year along with a few smaller handmade things.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Everyone will get calendars...then..I think we will get my MIL a digital picture frame. I don't know about my parents - they are tough to shop for because they have everything.

Penny
Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since we are military I make calendars every year for my mom and DH's mom. I like to think they can see us everyday with the calendar since they can't really see us that often since we live in different states!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure.

My future ILs will likely get something golfelated as they are retired and golf on a weekly basis. Last year, Jeff handled his parents' presents, and I will likely have him do the same.

Gifts are VERY important to my mother as that is her love language, so I try to spend the most amount of money on her and/or the most amount of time so it is very specific to her tastes and, therefore, makes her feel very loved. Her birthday is the 22nd, so I have to buy two gifts. Usually, I try to get her one piece of clothing from her favorite CJ Banks, and thankfully, I'm able to walk in the store and know instantly the kind of clothes there she would like and pick one out. The other gift is something less practical: candy, a knick knack (she collects bears, Santas, and holiday decorations), a biography. We just saw an ad on TV this weekend about a new Jefferson biography, so I will probably get her that unless someone else does.

My father is always impossible to buy for because all he does is work and watch TV. He has NO hobbies and no friends/clubs/social outings, etc. He bought a Harley abt 6 years ago, but everyone jumped on that bandwagon, so he has every piece of Harley stuff imaginable and 'hasn't had time' to ride it in 2 years. The last several years, I've bought him a new movie that he might be interested in and call it done.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to HeatherStokes Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherStokes

GREAT THREAD - I am trying to figure this one out myself. Last year I bought Mom and MIL both digital photo frames VERY expensive and neither one has used the, I also got them photo bracelets, and some of those Demdaco angels. Oh and made them hybrid pocket calenders...Don't have a CLUE what to do this year besides some type of calendars again.
I usually make them some kind of photo ornament as well.
KEEP UP THIS GREAT thread.

My Blog * My Flickr * My Kaboodle
Nikon D40

Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My parents are retired and well enough off that they go on cruises 2x a year and buy what they want when they want it. They are very hard to gift.

I make them a calendar and some bookmarks every year.

This year DH & I are considering giving them the 'gift' of grandchildren for 3 solid days while we go to Key West.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I only have one parent to worry about this year. My DH is not on speaking terms with either of his parents now, but I might send them each a card unless he protests.
For my mom, since she just moved here, I no longer have to worry about the size or quantity of gifts. DH and I were thinking of getting her an oil painting done of her dog, but with the timeline,we might have to put that off until her birthday in March. I plan on making her a calendar featuring her dog (she's been out-of-town for a couple of weeks, so I'm taking pictures of her dog). I want to knit her something as well, maybe a new hat. I was going to get her some quilting material or a GC for a quilt shop, but she just said this weekend that she's all quilted out after her week of quilt camp. So who knows? My mom always comes up with a list of stuff she wants anyways. I might just get her a GC for two days with just me going to a winery or Berea KY or some such thing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Toying with this idea.. Photo to Portrait with oil painting and the calendar

Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

No idea yet. Calendars.. but.. other than that.. I got nothin.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm getting my mom these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00142X4TM

I usually try and find her a vintage barbie each year b/c she collects them but she LOVES Elvis and this is just perfect for her.

I have NO idea what to get my Daddy...he's impossible to buy for.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, my parents have been married for 30 years and still have the same kitchen stuff from their wedding presents! So, they're getting a new Calphalon bakeware set & lots of new stuff like spatulas, mixing spoons, shears, can opener, whisks, etc.
DH's parents are getting their first Shutterfly album. I was wanting to do a family album w/LOs of the entire family. But, I'm just gonna do the grandkids for now. (DH's brother's 2 daughters). Maybe a new teapot too, but we'll see how money is going by then.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

They will both get CD calenders and then we always draw names in my family so it will depend on if I get one of their names. If I do they will list a few things they want and then I pick from that!!! Easy Peasy!!!

My kids usually get them stuff to from secret santa's shop.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a clue.

With the summer/fall that we've had, we haven't even begun to start Christmas (and I'm usually done by now). Most likely, everyone is getting a calendar and I'll call it quits. Maybe a little food gift, but everyone's fat or thinking they're fat, so no one really wants food. I had thought to have all the photos of our family that my mom had scanned so I could copy my Dad and brother, but am not going to be able to swing it before Christmas.

But I think it's just going to be calendars this year.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post

This year DH & I are considering giving them the 'gift' of grandchildren for 3 solid days while we go to Key West.
Sounds like a great gift for them!!! and you!!! LOL
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kelly* View Post
Toying with this idea.. Photo to Portrait with oil painting and the calendar

I get Compass Home Berry Centerpiece with Flameless Tealights when I click the link Kelly?!? LOL