Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2022, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Academy Awards?

What are your thoughts about the Academy Awards this year? I know some of us in past years have tried to see all the Best Picture Nominees (one year I tried to see all the nominated movies).

This year, I'm having a hard time getting excited about either the nominees or the awards. I do feel like the movies aren't as good as usual thanks to the pandemic.

Here are this year's Best Picture Nominees. I've seen Dune, Power of the Dog, Belfast and Don't Look Up. I plan to see Drive My Car, Coda and Licorice Pizza and maaaaaybe West Side Story (not a musical fan).

BELFAST
CODA
DON'T LOOK UP
DRIVE MY CAR
DUNE
KING RICHARD
LICORICE PIZZA
NIGHTMARE ALLEY
THE POWER OF THE DOG
WEST SIDE STORY
Old 03-04-2022, 03:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't know anything about the hollywood scene anymore. I had no idea what movies/etc. are even nominated.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:23 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I'm with Cheryl. I lost my taste for Hollywood years ago. I just see movies that interest me.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,
Speak Kindly and Leave the rest to God.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:34 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Another that has no interest in them. I probably haven't watched the actual awards for well over 30 years.

And, I haven't gone to the movie theater for over 25 years. Don't watch many on TV either and definitely not from streaming since I don't stream.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never really got into the award ceremonies but it's always fun looking at beautiful people in beautiful clothes I haven't seen any of these movies, though.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do really recommend Belfast. That's a beatiful, sweet movie. And Don't Look Up is really entertaining and funny.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I used to love watching the awards show, but since I've moved to Netflix, etc. I never see commercials anymore. I'm hopelessly out of touch with what's even out there now. I miss going to the movies.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the only one on the list i have seen is Don't look up only bc my teen recommended it. I have heard of West Side story but only bc I read the book in high school
Old 03-07-2022, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard great things about CODA. I think that's on Apple TV so I'll try to check that one out. I'm also interested in Belfast as I've heard good things about that. I'm a big Benedict Cumberbatch fan and I love old westerns/period pieces but I could not get into Power of the Dog. I guess subtleties aren't my thing. I had to google the ending to figure out if I interpreted it the way it was meant to be or if I was off. I do enjoy the awards shows and the red carpet.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I've heard great things about CODA. I think that's on Apple TV so I'll try to check that one out. I'm also interested in Belfast as I've heard good things about that. I'm a big Benedict Cumberbatch fan and I love old westerns/period pieces but I could not get into Power of the Dog. I guess subtleties aren't my thing. I had to google the ending to figure out if I interpreted it the way it was meant to be or if I was off. I do enjoy the awards shows and the red carpet.
I disliked Power of the dog for 95% of the movie. Then the unexpected ending turned it around a little bit for me but not enough to say that I liked the movie for the most part. I feel like the movies are too slow/artsy/depressing/navel gazing this year.
It's always a bit like that but way over the top with Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car and even West Side Story being downers.

Definitely see Belfast -- it is worth seeing just for the boy actor who is the main character.