Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Help! Rainy day portraits

I am supposed to take my niece's Senior portraits tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain most of the day (if not all!) They are driving almost 1 hour to get here.

There is a "trend" on pinterest/instagram where people take beautiful portraits in non traditional places- Hobby Lobby, Lowe's etc. I came up with a list, but am wondering if you all think it's doable? I'm willing to try it, with the agreement that we schedule another date to do some outside portraits.

Here's the list of possible places, along with the backdrops available:
Hobby Lobby- floral, picture frames, decor
Lowe's/Home Depot- doors, garden, lights, wood
Pier One/Kirklands/Ikea- chairs, couch, rugs, curtains, beds, etc.

What are your thoughts? Should we contact someone at the store before we do the portraits or just go with it, and if they say something, then explain it to them? I think my niece would be willing to try it, but I'm not sure how her mom will feel about it. I figure I'll explain my idea to them, once I get my husband on board (he usually takes the photos, I set them up and pose them).
Old 10-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty sure that those stores won't likely allow you to take portraits in the store when/if you ask. Also, it might be really tricky to not disturb the customers... people will be watching... I don't know. It seems awkward?

I have seen local photographers use farmers markets, nature centers, greenhouses, landscape nurseries and farms as alternate locations. Perhaps there is somewhere indoors or at least partially covered that's not so commercial? Those are still beautiful outdoorsy locations, and they usually have more room so you have semi privacy.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ITA with Brook.

Is it not possible to reschedule the session for another date? I understand they live an hour away but that's also close enough that you could reschedule, too. You could even wait until the day of to wait on the weather.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Is there a reason you don't want to reschedule? If I were the photographer or the senior, I think that would be my top choice. If you want to still do them tomorrow, maybe you know of a covered porch, gazebo, or pavilion that gets good light.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
ITA with Brook.

Is it not possible to reschedule the session for another date? I understand they live an hour away but that's also close enough that you could reschedule, too. You could even wait until the day of to wait on the weather.
I thought this, also. 1 hour seems relatively close (at least for us where we live) and easy to be able to wait for a day that's forecast for good weather.

I was also thinking... the mix of lighting in those stores... the lights will probably make it difficult to get the white balance and exposure correct. I'd probably be nervous if I were you, like maybe want to plan a practice session in a place like that first before I have someone get all dressed up and come in town for pics? Or maybe I'm a worrier? LOL

Old 10-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Greenhouses are the best! Coffeehouses are fun too. I wouldn’t hop to different indoor places because of the white balance. You could pick one inside place or reschedule. If it’s drizzling or sprinkling, outdoor pics would/could be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know your schedule is REALLY busy but I would be careful taking photos like that in a store as I believe that would be considered loitering. It’s the weekend, so wouldn’t those places be crowded?

Honestly if it were me and this being your one good day, I’d set up a photography area in your home. Set the lights up tonight, add whatever backdrop she might like and go with it. Otherwise maybe find a different area or take photos in the rain (her with an umbrella), provided it isn’t torrential downpour or lightening. A friend of mine just got photos in the rain with her family and they were cute!

Good luck figuring it out. Too bad you aren’t here. It hardly ever rains
Old 10-26-2018, 05:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Traditional shopping malls are also a good option for rainy days. Many times they have glass ceilings to let in a lot of natural light, and they'll have greenery you can use for backdrops.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Not sure where you live but I would suggest barns or open air pavilions that are covered so you would be out of the rain but still some great less crowded backdrops. I love the photos I have seen of people in a "barn" setting.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My son is supposed to have senior pictures taken on Sunday, too, but now the weather is saying rain I guess we'll reschedule, but the leaves are falling fast, so we wanted to get it done before that.

I hope you get it worked out Dawn! Let me know if you come up with any good ideas... I may need them
Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was thinking the light inside of stores might be too artificial looking...

I would schedule the photos in your home in front of a window with a white backdrop or reschedule.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I put my thinking cap on for you. I know tomorrow is your ONLY day to take photos for them due to a crazy, busy schedule. First, I'm praying it doesn't rain and you can get some good outdoor photos. However I found a few locations that you can think about:

The DIA
Fittingly, the city's "temple of art" is itself a stunning architectural work of beauty. There are a number of photo-op locations here, including the building's alabaster-white Beaux-Arts facade, Rivera Court (home to artist Diego Rivera's famed "Detroit Industry" murals) and the grand Great Hall, where the vaulted ceilings are alive with trompe l'oeil frescos and the floors are inlaid with tiles made by Detroit's historic Pewabic ceramics studio.

A parking structure (seriously)
A parking structure might not sound romantic, but the right one can offer intriguing skyline views of the city and even cool geometric architectural features that'll make your photos pop.
**taken from here:
https://www.mlive.com/travel/index.s...ent_spots.html

The Packard Plant (dangerous place, use the buddy system, but its an awesome location): https://www.flickr.com/groups/packard/

The abandoned Michigan Central Station. Recently a 50 Cent rap video was filmed in there. You apparently can permit to get inside, just be weary of the wild dogs that allegedly patrol the property. Yikes: http://www.seedetroit.com/MCS/mcsweb/

The Michigan Theater in downtown. A former ornate theater turned parking garage. For the $8 parking fee per car and if you’re very polite, you can go shoot up there on the top level with the cool ceiling without a permit (that’s what I did) : http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/01/de...l-parking-lot/

Saint Agnes Church (I literally could have walked in the front door in the middle of the day to the abandoned church, but I suggest filing a permit and keeping security with you) : http://detroitfunk.com/?p=4926

Maybe if the rain lets up (This would be a FUN place to photograph!)
The Heidelberg Project, which is a neighborhood of creatively... redesigned homes. It's website describes itself as "an open-air art environment in the heart of an urban community on Detroit’s East Side" : http://www.heidelberg.org/

Fisher Body Plant : http://detroiturbex.com/content/indu...her/index.html

Maybe these places will inspire you and give you awesome senior photos for your niece! Good luck tomorrow. Who knows, maybe you'll wake up and the weather forecast will be wrong, or it will let up when you have to take the photos!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

A local photographer did the cutest pictures ever of her daughter in Target.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How did it go, Dawn??

Wow, Wendy!! Those are some amazing suggestions! Next time I need indoor photos, I'm going to talk to you

Thankfully it didn't rain the day my son took his photos. I wasn't there (I was driving to CA), and I'm so anxious to see them!