Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So incredibly proud! wanted to share (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98414)

YepBrook 03-11-2024 11:36 AM

We met a man once on a trail in Georgia who had been hiking for a month and I remember thinking- wow that is crazy AND awesome! We asked if he missed his wife and he said she went with him for the first week and then meets up with him along the way. I can totally see the appeal in wanting to do this. It seems like an adventure- but I was also a little worried for the guy being alone!

Please keep us updated on your dad's journey! I find this so fascinating.

JillW 03-11-2024 11:47 AM

Thanks for the update Wendy! Your dad is amazing! I understand the stress of being the persons left behind while he's on his journey!

Saar 03-11-2024 11:49 AM

Wendy, If your dad happens to send you pictures along the way of his adventure, I think you should turn them into a scrapbook. I think it would be nice for him to look back to it.

wendyp 03-11-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saar (Post 1063166869)
Wendy, If your dad happens to send you pictures along the way of his adventure, I think you should turn them into a scrapbook. I think it would be nice for him to look back to it.

My dad wants to create a photobook from polarsteps. The way the make it includes the whole trail in a map and pretty details.

So i leave that.

wendyp 03-11-2024 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1063166867)
We met a man once on a trail in Georgia who had been hiking for a month and I remember thinking- wow that is crazy AND awesome! We asked if he missed his wife and he said she went with him for the first week and then meets up with him along the way. I can totally see the appeal in wanting to do this. It seems like an adventure- but I was also a little worried for the guy being alone!

Please keep us updated on your dad's journey! I find this so fascinating.

He is meeting lots of new people and he is listening music while hiking. He loves to hike alone so no one holds him of his speed

stephc777 03-11-2024 07:38 PM

Your dad sounds amazing, Wendy!

Saar 03-12-2024 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyp (Post 1063166877)
My dad wants to create a photobook from polarsteps. The way the make it includes the whole trail in a map and pretty details.

So i leave that.

That's fun as well!

TraceyM 03-12-2024 12:04 PM

Such an impressive hike to take on - I can't begin to imagine all the adventures and people he will meet along the way!!

Scrap-therapy 03-12-2024 01:02 PM

Congrats to your father Wendy! You should be so proud of him!
This is a thing I would love to do one day but don't know if I will do it.(For the religious reasons and meaning but there's more) But I'm amaze at people doing it!
And this is the most long road I know now, most of people who did it started in France so wow!
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0f/50/63/0...c3ef48020d.jpg

wendyp 03-12-2024 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy (Post 1063166960)
Congrats to your father Wendy! You should be so proud of him!
This is a thing I would love to do one day but don't know if I will do it.(For the religious reasons and meaning but there's more) But I'm amaze at people doing it!
And this is the most long road I know now, most of people who did it started in France so wow!
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0f/50/63/0...c3ef48020d.jpg

Can you imagine that a very few people even start in Norway! I think that would be even more insane lol but also very impressive.

nesser1981 03-12-2024 08:37 PM

WOW! That's so cool!

Kimberly27 03-13-2024 11:07 AM

Loving the updates. So excited for him! What an amazing journey to take. :)

lorigaud 03-13-2024 04:44 PM

Wow... what a trek that will be! Amazing!

wendyp 03-14-2024 05:57 AM

He is at Day 9 now and he is at Arnhem now. I think in 4-5 days he will be in Belgium already

wendyp 03-19-2024 02:46 PM

My dad just crossed over the Belgium Border. From what I remembered is he now very close to the village where Sarah Lives...

https://i.imgur.com/pJnALC7.jpg

craftytam 03-19-2024 02:59 PM

That's so awesome! How is he doing?

wendyp 03-19-2024 03:17 PM

he is doing great. He met a several people already who are walking the same trail only staying in different cities overnight. The story of today is that he walked with a man a few years younger than him, but with the same humor as him. He enjoyed that companion for the day. They are staying the night at the same place tonight. But it is fun to read his stories, photo's and quotes he is sharing.

https://i.imgur.com/OoWvVSk.jpg

craftytam 03-19-2024 03:27 PM

Wow! What an adventure!

Scrap-therapy 03-21-2024 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyp (Post 1063166984)
Can you imagine that a very few people even start in Norway! I think that would be even more insane lol but also very impressive.

I totally agree with you! That's so much road! Wow!

lorigaud 03-21-2024 10:03 PM

Wow! Sounds like things are going really well. Such a cool adventure!

Saar 03-24-2024 11:13 AM

Wow! That’s amazing. He was in my area like you said!
Where is he now? Is he still in Belgium?

wendyp 03-25-2024 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saar (Post 1063168257)
Wow! That?s amazing. He was in my area like you said!
Where is he now? Is he still in Belgium?

He was in Namur yesterday.

I think in 1-2 days he will be in France already. He found himself a hiking buddy. My dad and the man he met last week decided to walk mostly of the trail together. My dad says he has the same humor as my dad.

Saar 03-25-2024 09:49 AM

So fun he found himself a walking buddy AND that they share the same humor. It will be a memorable trip for sure!
Thank you for sharing his experience, Wendy. So fun to follow along.

nietis 03-25-2024 10:55 PM

Glad to read that your dad is enjoying himself on this adventure so much, Wendy!

Scrap-therapy 03-30-2024 04:16 PM

I guess your dad is in France now?
How fun He met this walking buddy! I hope they both has a great adventure!:)

wendyp 04-08-2024 05:07 PM

In a few days my dad will be walking in the center of France. He is on day 35 now and is still doing very well. Only sad thing is that there was a lot of rain in the passed few weeks. Happily there was a very warm and sunny weekend last weekend. He has met a lot of different people already locals but also other hikers, walking to Spain as well.

https://i.imgur.com/LXWf7VR.jpg

AmieN1 04-08-2024 05:30 PM

Oh wow that is so cool! Thank goodness for technology & being able to check in frequently- I'd be so proud but also a nervous wreck worrying about him! ;)

Blagovesta Gosheva 04-09-2024 01:38 AM

Wow Wendy, you must be very proud of your dad!! This is one of my dreams, too. Well, not the long way like him, but at least some of the shorts!

angels 04-09-2024 07:41 AM

what a cool adventure, you should be proud of him!

lorigaud 04-09-2024 08:35 AM

Great to see an update! What an amazing experience.

LJSDesigns 04-09-2024 09:41 AM

Totally amazing. I would be scared to death to do that. But then I am a big chicken and total homebody. Good for him. :)

bienejen 04-09-2024 12:51 PM

I've been listening to Arnold Schwartzenegger's book "Be Useful' on Spotify. I thought about your dad when, in the first chapter, he talks about the benefits of walking. He says "Many of history's greatest thinkers, leaders, scientists, artists, and entrepreneurs found some of their greatest inspiration going for walks." And he provides anecdotes from Wadsworth, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Einstein and Thoreau. He goes on to quote a 2014 study at Stanford University that showed 'walking increased the creative thinking of 100 percent of the study participants who were asked to walk while completing a series of creative tasks." He goes on to quote some more anecdotes from a man who walked the length of the western Himalayas and later the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain. It's a really interesting part of the chapter of the book.
I think it will be so interesting to see if your dad shares any problems he resolved or creative visions he developed while he's been out walking alone with his thoughts. And maybe a short walk is what all of us could use when our creative mojo isn't what we'd like it to be!

wendyp 04-09-2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bienejen (Post 1063169419)
I've been listening to Arnold Schwartzenegger's book "Be Useful' on Spotify. I thought about your dad when, in the first chapter, he talks about the benefits of walking. He says "Many of history's greatest thinkers, leaders, scientists, artists, and entrepreneurs found some of their greatest inspiration going for walks." And he provides anecdotes from Wadsworth, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Einstein and Thoreau. He goes on to quote a 2014 study at Stanford University that showed 'walking increased the creative thinking of 100 percent of the study participants who were asked to walk while completing a series of creative tasks." He goes on to quote some more anecdotes from a man who walked the length of the western Himalayas and later the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain. It's a really interesting part of the chapter of the book.
I think it will be so interesting to see if your dad shares any problems he resolved or creative visions he developed while he's been out walking alone with his thoughts. And maybe a short walk is what all of us could use when our creative mojo isn't what we'd like it to be!

He does, He is telling stories alongside the photo's he shares. He had some obstacles along the way already where he resolved it in a creative way like flooded walking paths where he switches his shoes for crocs and is just one example lol. But he shares the stories about the ups and downs of his journey

Route66 05-03-2024 08:04 PM

Wow, that's amazing Wendy! I have the Camino walk on my bucket list so I can relate to your dear old Dad, best of luck to him!

wendyp 05-21-2024 05:02 PM

It has been a month since I posted the last update. My dad is walking for more than 3 months now already. And he is still enjoying it everyday. He sometimes has ups and downs on the trail, But the ups are weighting much more than the downs.

He is in Spain now since a few days and now he is in the country of destination he is even meeting more people from all over the world. And the views are getting more and more breathtaking.

He has only around 930 KM to go maybe less. Only 1 more month before he will getting back home again.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0f67925f_o.jpg

bienejen 05-21-2024 05:40 PM

Wow! It's hard to imagine how much ground he's covered. I love seeing his photos! I admit I did chuckle at 'only' 930 km to go. That sounds overwhelming to me!!!

KristinCB 05-21-2024 05:43 PM

everything about this is just so inspiring and amazing!!

SweetChar 05-21-2024 06:04 PM

Wow! That's incredible!

lorigaud 05-21-2024 06:09 PM

So inspiring! Thanks for the update!

nietis 05-21-2024 09:11 PM

Wow, those views and his journey are amazing!