Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Windows 11 (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95095)

bienejen 12-27-2021 11:24 PM

Windows 11

Did anyone make the jump to Windows 11 AND manage to keep their folder previews? I tried every tutorial I could find on Google, restarted my PC I don't know how many times and none of them worked. I finally found an article that indicated previews are gone in Windows 11 and I reverted back to 10. The couple days I had it, I liked some of the features, but the loss of thumbnails on my folders was a deal breaker.

Kiana 12-27-2021 11:27 PM

I have not jumped ship. I actually really like 10, so I'm gonna ride it out until they give the final "if you don't switch you have to pay for 11" reminders. rofl

Folder previews are gone? That doesn't sound good. Maybe enough people will complain they will add a patch and bring them back.

jaye 12-27-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiana (Post 1063078303)
I have not jumped ship. I actually really like 10, so I'm gonna ride it out until they give the final "if you don't switch you have to pay for 11" reminders. rofl

Folder previews are gone? That doesn't sound good. Maybe enough people will complain they will add a patch and bring them back.

this is me as well :D

bienejen 12-27-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiana (Post 1063078303)
Maybe enough people will complain they will add a patch and bring them back.

That was the reason I gave for switching back so... fingers crossed!!!!!

flergs 12-28-2021 12:15 AM

Is 11 a free upgrade? I didn't know it was out. I'm not keen on no folder previews :(

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tree City 12-28-2021 12:31 AM

No: they got rid of them. Previews take up a lot of memory so the computer geniuses decided that people didn't need them /s. I mean...why in the world would someone want to SEE what's inside a folder?! *facepalm*

While I've heard of non-Microsoft options you could download to get thumbnails back, I don't like add-ons etc so I rolled back to 10. If you'd like to complain, open the Feedback Hub (Windows Key + F) and let them know what you think!

AmieN1 12-28-2021 01:26 AM

Yes this. I have given my feedback- as I got a new computer for my birthday (SO awesome!!!) but I don't have the option to revert. SO bummed.... significantly slows down my work flow... :/

CarolynK 12-28-2021 01:32 AM

I got my new laptop about 2 months ago, and it already had Windows 11 on it - i hate not having folder previews and have also tried everything - to no avail :(

HeatherB 12-28-2021 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tree City (Post 1063078311)
If you'd like to complain, open the Feedback Hub (Windows Key + F) and let them know what you think!

Thank you for providing this tip...I've added my feedback about folder previews being a deal-breaker for upgrading to Windows 11. Maybe if enough people do this, they will bring it back, even as an option.

joelsgirl 12-28-2021 07:28 AM

My computer doesn't qualify, even though I bought it this past summer. I was really bummed about it at first, but now I'm so glad it wouldn't let me. I would be lost without folder previews!

hollyxann 12-28-2021 10:33 AM

The no folder previews DRIVES ME NUTS!!! I'm at the point of reverting back but I really do like some of the new features. I have way too many folders on my computer to not know what is in them immediately without having to open them.

LynnZant 12-28-2021 11:07 AM

My folder previews mostly disappeared when I got a new computer two years ago with Windows 10. I have a work around to get them back; however, a lot of the scrapbook folders that I transferred from data recovery are wonky. Like even when I open the folder, the pngs have a lot of garbage around the image distorting them. Microsoft's File Manager is total garbage for me, and it sounds like they made it worse with Windows 11.

nesser1981 12-28-2021 11:18 AM

I reverted back to windows 10, I couldn't drop and drag from ACDsee or even from my folders to photoshop.

Kiana 12-28-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063078328)
I reverted back to windows 10, I couldn't drop and drag from ACDsee or even from my folders to photoshop.

Can't drag and drop to PS?! Now that will be really BAD for me.....:cursing:

AmieN1 12-28-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Thankfully I can drag & drop into PSCC from my folders... that would be bad. I don't use ACDsee so I'm not sure about that one. Maybe it's something that has changed recently?

Scrap-therapy 12-28-2021 04:21 PM

This is exactly why I didn't update but I guess I will have no choice to do it at a time and I really hope there will be a patch.
I hate big updates, I know it's supposed to help and to be better but well I feel ok with Window 10 right now! (I was probably the one who couldn't left Window Vista!:D)

Tree City 12-28-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

That would have made me bonkers. I don't use ACDSee but I didn't have a problem drag/dropping into PS. If so, I might have thrown my computer across the room. :p

craftytam 12-28-2021 11:32 PM

Oh wow! It doesn't sound like I'll be going with Windows 11 until they force it. Ugh!

NeverendingJen 12-29-2021 07:17 PM

Ugh, I miss my previews but don't have the energy to revert. But I will complain.

fruitysuet 12-30-2021 01:53 PM

Yep, another very frustrated Windows 11 user - new laptop with no ability to revert.

I'm tediously bringing across folders by usb drives as my ehd I had everything backed up on hasn't done a thorough job and there are papers and elements missing from kits all over the place.

I'm adding previews to a preview folder to tag for use in Elements organiser (which I never bothered with before) and I'm losing the will to live already.

Thank you for the tip on how to provide feedback - which I have done.

Sherri Tierney 01-02-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy (Post 1063078358)
This is exactly why I didn't update but I guess I will have no choice to do it at a time and I really hope there will be a patch.
I hate big updates, I know it's supposed to help and to be better but well I feel ok with Window 10 right now! (I was probably the one who couldn't left Window Vista!:D)

I held on to Windows Vista for a looong time! I really liked Vista! I hate Windows 10. I'm considering going with a Mac. Some of the file management things in Mac bother me which is the only reason I haven't switched yet. I use Mac at work and its just those few things, but if Windows is going to give me file handling issues as well, maybe I will switch.

Ponytails 01-02-2022 08:34 PM

I upgraded and switched back the same day. No previews is a big no-no for me!!

flergs 01-06-2022 06:06 PM

Does anyone like the Windows 11 upgrade? Other than the folders issue, are there any great new changes?

Ponytails 01-06-2022 08:31 PM

It was so quick for me that I can't remember what else I saw, but I'm pretty sure the folder thing was the only issue. But that's a deal-breaker for me! LOL

flergs 01-06-2022 09:11 PM

I did a quick google and we need an .ico file which is easy to make with a photoshop plug in apparently. I bet Wendyzine will make a script for it soon too.

LJSDesigns 01-06-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flergs (Post 1063079319)
I did a quick google and we need an .ico file which is easy to make with a photoshop plug in apparently. I bet Wendyzine will make a script for it soon too.

Maybe someone should suggest it to her?

rach3975 01-06-2022 11:05 PM

Quote:

That would be great! I haven't upgraded yet and won't as long as the previews are an issue.

bienejen 01-07-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Is that the only way to do that, with Photoshop?

HavaDrPepper 01-07-2022 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bienejen (Post 1063079414)

No, PS is not the only way to make an ico file. There are converters online and instructions on how to do it in MS Paint. I just did a quick google and found those. But a lot of them have you doing one image at a time.

StacyLynn 01-07-2022 01:36 PM

Oh my... I will def not be upgrading my laptop (HP PC) anytime soon.

I am currently sitting at my new Mac desktop making folder icons for every scrapbook kit..... I almost didn't switch my desktop to mac when I saw my kids didn't have previews on the folders on their Macs... but then searched around and found (here in the SS forum ) an app to make mac folders have a preview.

Ponytails 01-07-2022 02:21 PM

So just to confirm, the ico file will show the folder icon again?

Neverland Scraps 01-07-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1063078320)
My computer doesn't qualify, even though I bought it this past summer. I was really bummed about it at first, but now I'm so glad it wouldn't let me. I would be lost without folder previews!

My dad's computer doesn't qualify, but my mother's does - even though they were purchased a week apart from one another. Mine that was purchased months before theirs qualifies, but my brother who bought one the week before mine, doesn't.

It's strange how it works, some qualify and some dont. And because Microsoft took forever to tell people what they needed for specs, when it finally went public, those prices skyrocketed making it nearly impossible to change out the missing component to get the free upgrade to 11.

With that said, I've not upgraded. I keep getting notices for it, but refuse to do it because I just don't know much about it. Knowing that I'll lose my folder previews isn't helping me want to make the change

justpattyanne 01-07-2022 04:26 PM

I'm so glad I read this thread!!! No previews and no drag & drop?? I couldn't function like that. Well, I could, but I'd never stop complaining about it!

I had a MacBook Pro for awhile and the lack of previews was such a drag! On the other hand, I became pretty familiar with my kits by name - but found I would go back to the same old kits time and again because I couldn't scroll and peruse all my beautiful kits.

craftytam 01-07-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1063079467)
My dad's computer doesn't qualify, but my mother's does - even though they were purchased a week apart from one another. Mine that was purchased months before theirs qualifies, but my brother who bought one the week before mine, doesn't.

It's strange how it works, some qualify and some dont. And because Microsoft took forever to tell people what they needed for specs, when it finally went public, those prices skyrocketed making it nearly impossible to change out the missing component to get the free upgrade to 11.

With that said, I've not upgraded. I keep getting notices for it, but refuse to do it because I just don't know much about it. Knowing that I'll lose my folder previews isn't helping me want to make the change

I guess mine doesn't qualify because I haven't any offers. I need to make some upgrades, but I really don't want to change to 11 after reading the "reviews" here!!

Ponytails 01-07-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1063079467)

That's so weird... I got my current laptop when Windows 10 was still pretty new, and I qualified for the free upgrade. Strange.

LynnZant 01-07-2022 05:12 PM

The qualifying is strange. I got pretty much the cheapest Dell computer two years ago this month, and I have the offer. I certainly don't want to upgrade, though. I'm not into new things. lol

flergs 01-07-2022 05:44 PM

My PC didn't qualify either but my husband had to do something in the bios at start up and now its ready.

Is there really no drag & drop? Can someone confirm this? Because I can live without folder images but not without drag & drop.

flergs 01-07-2022 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bienejen (Post 1063079414)

No there are online converters too but I'd need to do mine in PS and write a script to batch convert all my old folder images.

bienejen 01-07-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper (Post 1063079420)
No, PS is not the only way to make an ico file. There are converters online and instructions on how to do it in MS Paint. I just did a quick google and found those. But a lot of them have you doing one image at a time.

Ugh, that sounds extra tedious. :thumbdown:

AmieN1 01-07-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flergs (Post 1063079486)
My PC didn't qualify either but my husband had to do something in the bios at start up and now its ready.

Is there really no drag & drop? Can someone confirm this? Because I can live without folder images but not without drag & drop.

I can drag & drop in PSCC just fine with windows 11. I love it... all except the folder previews thing.

flergs 01-07-2022 07:38 PM

Oh thank you, I couldn't design without drag & drop. That would be a bad idea to remove.

Ponytails 01-07-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1063079496)
I can drag & drop in PSCC just fine with windows 11.

Whew, what a relief! Good to know. :thumbup:

Tracie Stroud 01-07-2022 08:36 PM

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking. I haven't updated yet because of the issues I'm hearing. sigh

wvsandy 01-10-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flergs (Post 1063079486)

Drag and drop works fine IF you have PS loaded and visible on your desktop. It took me a while to remember that. As long as I can see the program on my screen, I can drop any file there.

Kiana 01-10-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracie Stroud (Post 1063079504)
I don't know what Microsoft was thinking. I haven't updated yet because of the issues I'm hearing. sigh

Same

jaye 01-10-2022 04:06 PM

I keep getting the upgrade reminder but haven't hit the install button yet. I have to work up to change, lol.

flergs 01-10-2022 05:51 PM

My husband rolled his back to 10. Found it very glitchy & lots of issues. So I'm not bothering, I'll keep Windows 10.

hollyxann 01-10-2022 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flergs (Post 1063079724)
My husband rolled his back to 10. Found it very glitchy & lots of issues. So I'm not bothering, I'll keep Windows 10.

I thought I was just crazy for thinking it was glitchy, but now that I know I'm not (completely) crazy I think I'm rolling back too

JillW 01-11-2022 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponytails (Post 1063079479)
That's so weird... I got my current laptop when Windows 10 was still pretty new, and I qualified for the free upgrade. Strange.

I got my laptop just about 2 months ago with Windows 10 and haven't gotten any info about an upgrade ... it's all very odd!

flergs 01-11-2022 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollyxann (Post 1063079732)
I thought I was just crazy for thinking it was glitchy, but now that I know I'm not (completely) crazy I think I'm rolling back too

His was shocking. Kept shutting down saying CPU was overheating. Then going onto airplane mode randomly, or just not starting up at all! And our modem is hooked up to his, and we've never had so many WiFi issues since he upgraded either.