Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ali Edwards intimiates the heck out of me (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17805)

Amy Carey 10-28-2008 01:49 PM

Ali Edwards intimiates the heck out of me

So against my better judgment and the constraints on my day I have spent HOURS at Ali's blog. Yes . HOURS. Poring over albums, pages, stories, examples,etc and wondering how in the world is she even HUMAN? I admire her so much but frankly I am totally intimidated, lol. I want to try some of her projects, like the week in the life and the daily december one but my stuff is NOTHING like hers or even any of the other examples from other scrappers...I just feel like I'm not on par with her, but she is just so dang creative. There are digi scrappers that make me feel this way too.... so totally inadequate, lol. Do you ever feel that way? I know I know...just be yourself...blah blah blah...but sometimes I just wonder how some people get alllllllllllll that creativity and then others like me are just left scratching their heads, lol.

banana1282 10-28-2008 01:56 PM

I understand. I am wowed by so many people and then I look at things I have done and know I could do so much more.

Mama-to-Elle 10-28-2008 02:00 PM

I TOTALLY hear you..... There are many days here at SSD, where I feel like that, Like WOW, my stuff is not NEAR that creative, etc....
But I just keep on keepin on, in hopes that when i grow up I can scrap like a pro.. ;)

lizzyfizzy 10-28-2008 02:02 PM

i feel the same way about jessica sprague. some people just get all the creativeness.

jessica31876 10-28-2008 02:03 PM

I used to but not so much anymore. I like my own style and abilities and I try to not compare to what other people are capable of. I know there are things I was blessed with and others are not so I am thankful for what I do have and I am able to do and what I dont have/cant do I just try to learn/improve from those who do/can.

scrappinsweetie 10-28-2008 02:08 PM

ummm yeah try being best friends with dani mogstad...rotfl!!! i have learned she has her style and i have mine. you just gotta go with what you do and be proud of it :)

ColleenSwerb 10-28-2008 02:13 PM

Woman, you better get your butt off that pity party train!!

If you want to do the albums, then DO THEM! Who said it has to look or be like ANYTHING that Ali posted? You've got the basic ideas, now make it your own!

kscwgirl 10-28-2008 02:14 PM

Totally. I want to scrap like Sara (scarletsierra) when I grow up. Her lo's are amazing to me.

Amy Carey 10-28-2008 02:16 PM

it just occured to me the main thing that bugs me about her...I hit the nail on the head. It's like she LIVES more and deeper than me. Like her life is richer and I'm just skimming the surface and missing so much..small moments, stories happening and not even being noticed. That kind of thing. so it's not even JUST her creativity but just her LIFE in general I guess.

I can't imagine being Dani's best friend, lol. that would SERIOUSLY be intimidating. I get intimidated just being a sugar babe, and being on Shawna and Kay's individual teams. I wonder a lot of the time, how in the world did I ever get here ?:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Amy Carey 10-28-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 (Post 277084)
Woman, you better get your butt off that pity party train!!

If you want to do the albums, then DO THEM! Who said it has to look or be like ANYTHING that Ali posted? You've got the basic ideas, now make it your own!

ooooh that may have been just what I needed! LOL A good kick in the pants always makes me feel better :D

scrappinsweetie 10-28-2008 02:24 PM

the nice thing about dani is she is just dani. plain and simple and just another person. i laugh all the time when i am getting ready to go see here i get tons of pms about how is she really like and all that jazz. i just laugh and say she is just dani.

as to the thing with ali. she really does live richly and deeply. last year after the fire i threw away a good 6 months of my life burring myself in work. i took time taking care of the kids if they needed me but i did not take care of myself. we didnt make cookies last year, we didnt make gingerbread men, we barely carved pumpkins, barely went trick or treating and when we did all those things i did NOT take but 25 pictures from the day of the fire until the new house. i QUIT living. i missed out. so i learned my lesson and started taking time for myself again and noticing god's little gifts to us. i have slowed down and started living richly. it isn't easy but you have to keep reminding yourself that. i take 10 minutes a day to really look around and realize what a beautiful world we do live in and the blessings god has given us :) it just takes a bit of getting used to.

ColleenSwerb 10-28-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizAmyLou (Post 277091)
it just occured to me the main thing that bugs me about her...I hit the nail on the head. It's like she LIVES more and deeper than me. Like her life is richer and I'm just skimming the surface and missing so much..small moments, stories happening and not even being noticed. That kind of thing. so it's not even JUST her creativity but just her LIFE in general I guess.

I can't imagine being Dani's best friend, lol. that would SERIOUSLY be intimidating. I get intimidated just being a sugar babe, and being on Shawna and Kay's individual teams. I wonder a lot of the time, how in the world did I ever get here ?:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Which is WHY you should DO the week in the life album! Carry your camera around and takes pictures of just about everything, for an entire. I can almost guarantee you'll feel amazing noticing all the little things that you have taken advantage of int he past.

Paula 10-28-2008 03:27 PM

I love Ali Edwards!! She is just amazing and intimidating! LOL

Nikki Epperson 10-28-2008 03:37 PM

Amy - I think for every one, it's like that in some way. YOU and the other babes are intimidating! There are others, many others. I see moments that you girls capture and I think, why didn't I think of that??? But I try to take inspiration from your pages and the other babes and the girls here - because we rock. (lol)
Just get your booty in gear like Col said, because whatever you do - it's going to be fabulous and maybe inspire someone else to do it too!

scrapmonkey 10-28-2008 03:38 PM

All the time.

Ali is totally amazing - which is why I subscribe to her newsletter and have nearly every one of her books, just in the slightest hope that some of her influence might rub off on me. I took her class (A Week in the Life) several years ago, and it was hard work, but she was totally down to earth and very relaxed in the class. I totally loved what I came away with. But you're right about her seeming to be more observant about her life and the small things.
Other paper scrappers that amaze me are Jennifer McGuire (she always comes up with new ways to do things), Emily Falconbridge and C.D. Muckosky (their sense of play and creativity).
And yes, there are some hybrid and digi-scrappers that just amaze the heck out of me, some (OK, most) of them right here. They leave me wondering either - how did they make that page look so good, or - where did they come up with the idea to do that?
But intimidation - no. It makes me want to scrapbook more, to get closer to that natural creativity they have. I know I will never be any of them, but I still like what I create and at least I can learn from them....

switchwiz 10-28-2008 03:39 PM

I'm not so much intimidated as I am jealous of their creativity. I know I have other skills that others may not have, but I do need the creative outlet even if it's not as natural to me as it is to others. I do wish that I could have that special knack others have, but then I do a page I'm proud of and that should be all that matters. Not that it looks like this persons' or that persons', but it's mine.