Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   iFail at parenting (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79736)

flergs 12-14-2014 04:27 PM

iFail at parenting

I've dropped the ball this week.

Firstly the tooth fairy forgot to visit. She was in bed early with a migraine.

And secondly I left out the list of Christmas gifts the kids were getting. Left it right on the coffee table where both kids would definitely have seen it :(

What's next???

msbamf2you 12-14-2014 04:44 PM

hugs. <3 i wouldnt call it a fail. you made it easy anyway. i used to try and see what my presents were every year.. and id make the closets etc look a bit messier so she'd think that i was looking.. they were vigilant about the closets but my mom kept all the xmas receipts in her purse just in case. lol. ^_^ i knew what i was getting pretty much every year, but i loved the effort and presents my parents gave anyway. hah. my poor parents

eve11ne 12-14-2014 05:44 PM

((hugs))
agree with the others, you didn't fail. tooth fairy forgot couple times in our houses too :p
i told them that the fairy must have a very busy night, that she will surely visit the night after :D

as for the list, i think my kids saw mine last year but they still ooh and aahs on Christmas morning ;)

adi&co. 12-14-2014 07:40 PM

awwww hugs!

KristinCB 12-14-2014 08:02 PM

oh man :( sorry!

kristijoy 12-14-2014 08:17 PM

Sorry you were having a bad day. HUGS! I do think though that we need to show our kids that we aren't perfect. I know that's hard to do and we all want to show the 'right' face, but sometimes we need their help too. I had a migraine a few weeks ago and my son was so sweet. He read me a bedtime story while I was cuddled in bed.

luckyme 12-14-2014 08:23 PM

I did some similar stuff for the tooth fairy thing and the present thing! So you're not alone!I forgot the tooth fairy once. It was on a Sunday night though so I said that the Tooth Fairy doesn't work Sundays. Only Monday to Friday. My daughter seemed satisfied with that answer. :blink:

As for presents, my online present order arrived a couple of weeks ago. After my kids went to bed, I unpacked the parcels and put the presents on the floor and took a picture of them. (So that I could remember what I'd bought when I went to go out shopping at the mall and avoid buying duplicates...)

The next day, my 8 year old DD went to use my iPhone. She loves the Project Life app for scrapbooking. So, she opened up the Camera Roll to add pics to her page and saw the picture of all those toys! She asked me about them and I said that they were presents for various friends/family. She seemed to believe that... Luckily, it wasn't too many gifts and not her "biggie" gifts, but I'm still sad I blew the surprise on a few of them!

Jjriward 12-14-2014 09:14 PM

You are certainly not a failure. You're human. A couple of weeks ago my son lost a tooth. He had just gone to sleep not long before I was ready to go to bed. I checked on him and thought he was sleeping. We have a tooth pillow that you hang on the door knob. I removed the tooth, replaced it with $ and happily climbed into bed. About 2 min later he gets up and comes running in our room saying 'the tooth fairy came and I wasn't even asleep'. Palm to forehead. Good thing he's extremely gullible and still doesn't have a clue.

flergs 12-14-2014 09:26 PM

Oh girls I don't feel so bad now. Luckily my miss wasnt too upset about the tooth fairy. I said that this time of year is crazy busy so try again tonight. And no one has mentioned the note so fingers crossed they just thought it was my designing list lol.

The tooth fairy has forgotten once before. My son was so sad but luckily I went in and "found" the coin that he must have overlooked 1st time.

lovely1m 12-14-2014 10:09 PM

My son has only lost 3 teeth, yet the tooth fairy has already forgotten once here. Seems he woke up too early and the tooth fairy had to sneak in while he was getting ready for school.

I keep the present list on my laptop, it's password secure. ;)

flergs 12-14-2014 10:26 PM

I was very smart this year I thought. I made the list then took a photo. My plan was no paper trail. But of course I forgot to destroy the list haha!

farrijc 12-14-2014 11:25 PM

Long story, short... My 11 yr old lost a tooth over thanksgiving week and it didn't even make it to the tooth fairy pillow. He put it in a baggie in my purse ( we were at grandmas at the time) and I threw it away at the movies, thinking it was something else :crying: thankfully, he has lost many teeth and wasn't very upset, but I still felt bad.

ksbella 12-14-2014 11:38 PM

I know that feeling the tooth fairy didn't come to our house for a week once, we were so busy that we had to leave a note for her asking her to come when she was back from holidays!

Nikki Epperson 12-15-2014 12:33 AM

The tooth fairy has forgotten all three of our kids at least once. I felt terrible! But I would run in and "search" and find it!
Hugs! It's a busy time of the year and you're a busy mom!!!

rach3975 12-15-2014 01:52 AM

Some nights the tooth fairy has so many houses to visit that she has to save some for the next night. Sometimes she leaves a note of apology/explanation when she finally gets here. Luckily my kids have all bought that one, since I'm not world's best tooth fairy. And there's no faking it--we have a bear with a tooth pocket that the tooth fairy leaves the money in, so if the tooth is still there "finding" the money elsewhere would look suspicious.

And photographing the gift list so the kids don't see it and then leaving it out for them to find? That so sounds like something I would do! I keep the list on my phone, but I'm sure sooner or later one of them will find it.

flergs 12-15-2014 02:01 AM

Sounds like the tooth fairy is a super busy fairy lol. She will definitely remember tonight. Alarm is set lol.

carrie1977 12-15-2014 09:37 AM

Our tooth fairy sucks...she forgets all.the.time. I'm constantly making excuses for her. Ugh! :p

justtrace 12-15-2014 09:52 AM

Not a fail!! We've all been there. I forgot the tooth fairy once and she ended up coming back the next night with a note saying that she got blown away by a big wind and lost her way!!! She brought an extra dollar for the inconvenience. LOL

As far as the Christmas list...if they ask, tell them it was just a list of ideas....maybe they'll buy that.

jk703 12-15-2014 09:53 AM

Our tooth fairy forgot once... but there was a quick answer. My son was all upset that she never showed... so he proceeds to tell me the story while we go back into his room. He points at the floor! The tooth is in the baggie on the FLOOR! I said Shayne... the tooth must be under your pillow. He groaned... and said he must pushed it out from under the pillow (top bunk).

Luck!

Sorry about the Christmas list. I think I have a list like that floating around... I must find it and take a picture - smart idea!

JennNtheBoys 12-15-2014 01:28 PM

We have a forgetful tooth fairy at our house too so don't feel bad!

One time my son had a total of 6 teeth to collect for! He said it was ok, he preferred one lump sum anyway LOL

My youngest always forgets to put his under his pillow so the tooth fairy hides his money near the last place the tooth way.

One year for Christmas my oldest son found the gift that was hidden away that my youngest specifically asked Santa for. I was excited to have it, bought it early so I didn't get left searching empty shelves for it. We ended up going to the store, my hubby took our son with him an RETURNED the gift as I snuck around and got another one. LOL

We've all been there in one way or another. ;)

flergs 12-15-2014 04:04 PM

She forgot again last night :'(

carrie1977 12-15-2014 05:52 PM

http://www.absolutelyprabulous.com/w...th_fairy_2.png

justtrace 12-16-2014 09:30 AM

DO you have a reminder app on your phone maybe? I would set a reminder alarm around 10pm so that it will go off and you will remember!!!

carrie1977 12-16-2014 09:56 AM

Well...did you redeem yourself?

flergs 12-16-2014 10:12 AM

Its all done and I did it on my way to bed lol.

msbamf2you 12-16-2014 10:28 AM

good job, tooth fairy!

marlathrall 12-16-2014 11:45 AM

A couple of years ago, I was hosting Easter at my house and everyone was staying the night… Well, my mom and I both had too much wine and FORGOT to put the baskets and goodies out for my little sister and nephew. They were both super upset, but we had my husband write a letter from the bunny that said he was too scared of our dog to come inside and we snuck the baskets on the front porch. Haha.

carrie1977 12-16-2014 12:00 PM

Good job, Meg!

LOL Marla...that's pretty funny....darn wine. :p

flergs 12-16-2014 07:31 PM

Marla that's a good idea!

jk703 12-16-2014 10:13 PM

Great comeback Marla! :)

tammybean04 12-17-2014 04:53 AM

Totally not a failure, Megs! Last year, the tooth fairy forgot twice. I told my little one that she ran oit of money because so many kids lost their tooth that day and she had to come back the next night after going to the Fairy Bank. The second time I was able to do what the other moms have said...slyly hide it while looking for it.

I feel ya on Christmas. Ryan helped me pick out Evan's Xbox stuff, well he told his best friend, who then told Jake, who then turned to his father with Evan standing there and said I know you bought Evan an box. Mark had to do some quick thinking.

Glad you were able to sneak it into her tonight!

jak 12-17-2014 06:10 AM

Ha! Now its my turn - my son lost a tooth yesterday and I forgot to play tooth fairy last night, even after I told him, only a couple of hours before I went to bed myself (and after reading this thread), to make sure he leaves his tooth on his bedside table.

I snuck a coin in tonight while he was in the shower. He's 8 and he knows its me, but he plays along to humour me!