Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favorite Games (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93279)

nesser1981 10-17-2020 12:06 AM

Favorite Games

What are your current favorites? I think I bought 8 or 9 new games this year when we were locked right, but I have a small addiction.

Some at the top of our list right now
Throw Throw Burrito
Bears Vs Babies
Duel
Blokus Duo
Plunder a pirates life
Quaggle
Sushi Roll

I also only try to buy games at least five people can play or only two player games. Since there are 5 of us. I love to get at least one new one for Christmas.

Tracie Stroud 10-17-2020 12:16 AM

Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle (deck building cooperative game)
Exploding Kittens and all the add-ons

My husband and kiddos like Munchkin. There are several different ones.

joelsgirl 10-17-2020 04:30 AM

I'd love to get some recommendations while we're talking games. Our kids are 15, 13 & 8, and I'd love a game we can all play together. Anybody have a game that would be a good fit for us?

kristalund 10-17-2020 07:07 AM

Telepathy
YamSlam
Trivial Pursuit
Battleship
Clue
Life

allyanne 10-17-2020 07:38 AM

Ticket to Ride
Catan
Dutch Blitz
Survive: Escape from Atlantis

nesser1981 10-17-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1063022836)
I'd love to get some recommendations while we're talking games. Our kids are 15, 13 & 8, and I'd love a game we can all play together. Anybody have a game that would be a good fit for us?

Kellie, your kids are the same ages as mine. Harper turns 8 next week and Coop is almost 13.

Quaggle would work for everyone
Throw Throw Burrito is a family favorite
Sushi roll is another one all of you would enjoy.

Also Sleeping Queens is a family favorite and Bears Vs Babies Harper can play with a help.
Aggervation is an oldie, but we love that too, like Sorry or Trouble, but for up to 6 players.

nesser1981 10-17-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allyanne (Post 1063022849)
Ticket to Ride
Catan
Dutch Blitz
Survive: Escape from Atlantis

Love Ticket to Ride, I’ve played Catan online, but never the board game though. I want to get it.
I’ll check out these others.

I feel like someone else has sad they love Dutch Blitz before too.

nesser1981 10-17-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1063022847)
Telepathy
YamSlam
Trivial Pursuit
Battleship
Clue
Life

I’ll have to check out Telepathy and YamSlam I’ve never heard of .

nesser1981 10-17-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psalm149 (Post 1063022833)
Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle (deck building cooperative game)
Exploding Kittens and all the add-ons

My husband and kiddos like Munchkin. There are several different ones.

Love Exploding kittens too.
Bears vs Babies and Throw Throw burrito are both from that company as well.

I’ve never gotten the add ons, we have the party pack game and the adult version.

JennNtheBoys 10-17-2020 09:14 AM

Unstable Unicorns (another card game similar to exploding kittens)
Settlers of Catan
Pandemic
Risk
Ticket to Ride
Tsuro
Stone Age (similar to catan)
Small World
Tiny Epic (so many variations, my kids play the western one and love it)
Exploding Kittens (we have all the expansions for it as well - Imploding kittens, streaking kittens) -- I picked up the newest one for Christmas this year -- Barking Kittens... can't wait to add in those cards!!)

Our family really enjoys Cards Against Humanity.... there are a few family friendly versions our there like a Disney Edition and I think a Star Wars edition as well.

AmieN1 10-17-2020 12:39 PM

We've been on a Telestrations kick- its kinda like pictionary. Super fun & the littles can play too!

We also love:
Monopoly
Life
Scrabble
Trouble
Exploding kittens
Parcheesi
Cribbage (just taught my daughter!)

KristinCB 10-17-2020 02:28 PM

we don't play a lot of games but we play sequence everytime we visit my parents

Kimberly27 10-17-2020 05:52 PM

Ticket to Ride
Catan
Catan Seafarers
Kingdom Builders (similar to Catan just faster and easier)
7 Wonders
Clue
Farkle (dice game)
5 Crowns (card game)
Dominos
Here is a layout I did https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...-night&cat=500

farrijc 10-17-2020 06:12 PM

We have a ton of games but there are few that everyone likes! Top of that list is The Game of Things. Easy and fun! Wits and wagers is also good because it feels like we’re all on equal playing ground. Also Blank slate or double ditto.

Kimberly27 10-17-2020 06:45 PM

Oh one more that is a family game...requires a group is One Night with the Werewolf..lots of laughs on this one.
I should edit to add my kiddos are 10 and 16...big age gap but we make it work..both boys

Tree City 10-17-2020 07:29 PM

two player:
Jaipur
Codename: Duel

two to four (sorry!)
Dimension
Apples to Apples
Bananagrams
Battle Sheep
Kingdomino (but I think there's an expansion so 5 could play)
Bob Ross game (like Pictionary)
Azul

up to five (or more?)
Spontuneous
Clumsy Thief (there are two different versions--the easier one is Candy Thief)
Sleeping Queens
Sequence
Qwirkle
Dutch Blitz (if you get the expansion pack; otherwise it's a 2- to 4-person game)
Super Big Boggle
Periodic
Cards Against Humanity: Family Edition
Exploding Kittens
Unstable Unicorns
Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza (<-- ETA how did I forget this game?!)

nesser1981 10-17-2020 10:20 PM

So many of these I need to check out.

Some we have, I love that my kids are getting older and are able to play the strategy games. Off to research.

lovely1m 10-18-2020 12:34 PM

We bought a few new ones when the lockdowns started, but barely played them. Probably this winter when it's cold and there's no where to go. I did buy the new kids' version of Cards Against Humanity for my son & nephew. I backed a kickstarted called Bold Made (a spin Old Maid with strong females from history) for my niece. I also found a Dog Man game for my other nephew. Apparently I am planning to give lots of games this Christmas. lol

Leablahblah 10-18-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063022852)
Love Ticket to Ride, I’ve played Catan online, but never the board game though. I want to get it.
I’ll check out these others.

I feel like someone else has sad they love Dutch Blitz before too.

I've heard about Catan. Where did you play it online? I'd like to try before I buy.

nesser1981 10-18-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leablahblah (Post 1063022931)
I've heard about Catan. Where did you play it online? I'd like to try before I buy.

I bought the app. There are several of those strategy games like that you can get the apps for before commiting to the games. Several that have been mentioned.

I have the following as apps, but I don't have Stone Age or Catan as board games yet.
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride
Catan
Small World
Carcassonne

nesser1981 10-18-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tree City (Post 1063022895)
two player:
Jaipur
Codename: Duel

two to four (sorry!)
Dimension
Apples to Apples
Bananagrams
Battle Sheep
Kingdomino (but I think there's an expansion so 5 could play)
Bob Ross game (like Pictionary)
Azul

up to five (or more?)
Spontuneous
Clumsy Thief (there are two different versions--the easier one is Candy Thief)
Sleeping Queens
Sequence
Qwirkle
Dutch Blitz (if you get the expansion pack; otherwise it's a 2- to 4-person game)
Super Big Boggle
Periodic
Cards Against Humanity: Family Edition
Exploding Kittens
Unstable Unicorns
Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza (<-- ETA how did I forget this game?!)

I think this Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza might be on my list. Unstable Unicorns is one that looks great too, I haven't added it yet, just because our youngest is just turning 8, I still try to make sure he can play most things I get.
Love Qwirkle and Sleeping Queens. I didn't know there was a family edition of Cards Against Humanity.

Kimberly27 10-18-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leablahblah (Post 1063022931)

Lea if your girls are younger Kingdom Builders is a faster game that is similar to Catan. My 10 yr old has a hard time staying focused with Catan. It can last HOURS. I love it and the add on Seafarers has pirates that helps but it is a long game. We have played with friends and it took 4 hours one night. A ton of fun but LONG! :) Kingdom Builders we played in less than an hour.

Leablahblah 10-18-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063022933)
I bought the app. There are several of those strategy games like that you can get the apps for before commiting to the games. Several that have been mentioned.

I have the following as apps, but I don't have Stone Age or Catan as board games yet.
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride
Catan
Small World
Carcassonne

aah thanks! I'll look into it.

amyjcaz 10-18-2020 04:31 PM

These are all our new family faves. We have played with cousins as little as 8 and my kids are 12-25

Sequence
Code Names
Coup
Say Anything
Game of Things

nesser1981 10-18-2020 08:02 PM

Oh, 5 Second Rule is another one we picked up within the last year, and we love it too. It's a little hard for our youngest, but I love it.

My last count on games was just over 100 games we have. ;) I might have a problem.

Tree City 10-18-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063022934)
I think this Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza might be on my list. Unstable Unicorns is one that looks great too, I haven't added it yet, just because our youngest is just turning 8, I still try to make sure he can play most things I get.
Love Qwirkle and Sleeping Queens. I didn't know there was a family edition of Cards Against Humanity.

My DS turned 8 this Spring Your youngest may need a bit of help with Unstable Unicorns, but you all should be fine.
As for Taco Cat..it's fast-paced and FUN.
The new CAH family edition came out maybe a couple months ago. The kids love it!

Leablahblah 10-19-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly27 (Post 1063022937)
Lea if your girls are younger Kingdom Builders is a faster game that is similar to Catan. My 10 yr old has a hard time staying focused with Catan. It can last HOURS. I love it and the add on Seafarers has pirates that helps but it is a long game. We have played with friends and it took 4 hours one night. A ton of fun but LONG! :) Kingdom Builders we played in less than an hour.

I didn't see your post before! Good to know! Thank you :)

Tree City 10-19-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly27 (Post 1063022937)

Just an FYI, but there is now kids version of Catan. MUCH quicker. (And DH and I like it, too...can't say that about all kids games lol.)