Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DSD QOTD (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87657)

wimpychompers 10-07-2017 04:56 PM

DSD QOTD

I think we are meant to start a new thread for the Bingo challenge? Either way here we go.

How do you keep track of which templates you have used from your stash?

I have been thinking about this for a while... I have them organized by designer myself and folders for the amounts of photos each template allows but also find I have used some several times and others not at all, it is hard to keep track!

tjscraps 10-07-2017 05:45 PM

So I changed my whole organizing structure last year, and I love it. For templates I have them all organized by number of photos. Not by designer at all. I name them with the pack name and designer name, followed by 1-2-3-4 (so they have different names), and I colour code them on my Mac by store (I tag SSD with purple). Then when I use one I add a z- before it so it naturally moves to the bottom of the folder and I know I've used it.

Main templates folder:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4453/...df1722c137.jpg

How it looks when I open it (I only keep the Tiff file, it shows the preview in Finder)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4485/...ab9ed4fdf3.jpg

And the ones I've used:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4449/...578c6090c3.jpg

rach3975 10-07-2017 05:45 PM

I don't -I have some that I've used over and over, and some not at all. As for organizing, I have preview folders organized by the number of photo spots. The templates themselves are by designer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tjscraps 10-07-2017 05:46 PM

I store my kits by theme now, too and use the same z- trick to move things to the bottom so when I shop my stash they are 'out of sight out of mind' lol

fruitysuet 10-07-2017 06:58 PM

I never thought about that. I'm certain that I have hundreds I've not used, that doesn't bother me as I quite often by a set for a particular one that calls out to me within the set. I do have few I know I have used several times, but that doesn't bother me either.

And I don't organise at all. I have starting moving all the templates into one main folder per designer rather than sitting in the sub folders they download in. I'm also working my way through converting the psd files to tifs so everything can be previewed easily.

angiekey 10-07-2017 07:07 PM

This is such a great question… I was thinking about this the other day. I have hundreds of kits and templates I’ve not used. (Hi, my name is Angie, and I am a Digital supply hoarder!) I store all my supplies in folders by designer, and use metadata keywords to link kits together. The preview images get detailed keywords on colors and themes as well as designers and stores so it’s super easy for me to find what I need.

So I’m considering adding another keyword to each preview image and probably each template PSD file, to indicate whether I’ve used it or not. That would give me one more keyword I could use when searching for product to use…

jacinda 10-07-2017 07:16 PM

I organise templates by the number of photo spots. I don't keep track of what I've used or not, as I just use whatever template best fits my photos. Some I have used several times, while others I've not used at all.

SeattleSheri 10-07-2017 08:37 PM

I don't have the best system for tracking template usage, but I'm also very lax about reusing them. Almost every template I use is substantially modified so the page will look quite different if I use a different kit.

LeeAndra 10-07-2017 09:31 PM

I delete the template after I use it.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

For real.

I don't reuse kits, either (but I don't delete them).

I like to live on the edge. :D

YepBrook 10-07-2017 09:39 PM

I am all about re-using templates! Just looking through my CT's layouts for a single template, it really IS possible for one template to look completely different depending on the kit, photos, etc. You can rotate them, shrink them, layer them up with elements, keep them simple, etc.

I LOVE the idea of sorting them by # of photos! I should do that with my own stash. It would make it so much faster to start a page.

Sheana 10-07-2017 09:48 PM

I don't sort them and I reuse the same templates over and over. I have no sense of organization when it comes to my scrap stash - it is just a giant mess.

NeverendingJen 10-07-2017 10:08 PM

I don't. I'm lazy.

nietis 10-08-2017 01:54 AM

I rarely re-use templates. I keep most of them, except for the freebie templates that I've used.

JennNtheBoys 10-08-2017 09:50 AM

I have mine organized by the number of photos they hold.... I don't worry about which ones I've used because I always change them up a little when I use them rather than following them exactly.

kristalund 10-08-2017 10:49 AM

I keep templates and re-use them often but I have no organization method!

tammybean04 10-08-2017 11:26 AM

No organization, other than by designer.

jaye 10-08-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1062888207)
I don't. I'm lazy.

this. They are sorted by designer/shop that is it.

MamaBee 10-08-2017 10:16 PM

I also organize by number of photos... I also have a folder for certain projects I'm working on that I'm using a certain style... big photos for Dec Daily 2012, Brook's half life for my son's school yearbook, etc.

Once I use a template (with the exception of on going projects), I delete... I just have way too many to have thoughts of using them over again. :)

wimpychompers 10-09-2017 05:53 PM

I love these answers! I also have them organized by number of photos for each template, allowing it to be easier for me to find what I need. I love adding the z to the front, I know I have several layouts with the same template and I wanted to try something different.

LeeAndra, you definitely live on the edge! :)

AmieN1 10-09-2017 07:39 PM

I used to organize by photo number- but then I started using Journal Cards in many of the photo places so that messed me all up! Plus I have favorite designers from a few different stores- so sometimes I need a specific store's template. ;) I switched about a year ago & reorganized them all by designer.

Sometimes I delete if I know I'm not going to use it again- other times I just file it away. I do re-use a few faves for sure!