Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NYC - things to do, see or eat (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94788)

scrappinnewbie 10-11-2021 08:01 AM

NYC - things to do, see or eat

We may be heading to NYC in the next month or so. DH is going for business and I'm not sure if we are going to tag along or not....

We have never been to NY so I am looking for help in things we gotta see, places we must go and food we must have.

I know pizza is a must, but from where? Specifics would be great. :)

At this point, I think he is staying near Central Park and it will be for a week or less.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

StacyLynn 10-11-2021 09:03 AM

We went to NYC a few years ago, had a wonderful dinner at Carmine's. They give you lots of food, so share if possible!

We had a great meal at Harrington's Bar and Grill and some yummy drinks.

And for pizza went to this place twice it was sooo good! Famous Famiglia Pizza.

LynnZant 10-11-2021 10:21 AM

From our 2019 trip, we ate at Angelo's Coal Oven Pizza, Bareburger, and Pazza Notte all of which were good. I also made my family walk a really long way to get cheesecake at Eileen's. Sight seeing things we liked were Rockefeller's Top of the Rock, FOA Schwarz, Hershey's and M&M stores, and all the main attractions that is on everyone's NY list like Times Square, Ellis Island, Trade Center Memorial, and Grand Central.
I hope you have fun if you get to go!

lovely1m 10-11-2021 11:55 AM

We had planned on going this year for vacation, but with Covid, we delayed it until who knows when. Our list of things we wanted to see was:
The RIDE
Central Park
MoMa
Times Square
Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
9/11 Memorial & Museum
Guggenheim
Museum of the Moving Image
Lion King on Broadway
Harry Potter & the Cursed Child on Broadway
FAO Schwartz at Rockefeller
Serendipity 3 Restaurant
Beetle House restaurant
Dylan's Candy Bar
Naples 45 Ristorante

JoCee 10-11-2021 05:40 PM

Levaine chocolate cookies... a MUST, so much so I made my daughter bring some back to us in Australia when she returned from NYC!!

and don't forget the theatre.. oh my!

an amazing city, you can never have enough time there.
We've been there twice and still have not seen/done everything.

One day we hope to go back

Leablahblah 10-12-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoCee (Post 1063070213)
Levaine chocolate cookies... a MUST, so much so I made my daughter bring some back to us in Australia when she returned from NYC!!

Did you mean Levain Bakery? I had to look it up and saw pictures of those cookies! They look huge and delicious! And I see they have a store in DC. I'll have to go try that one day.

Kimberly27 10-12-2021 03:11 PM

It has been a while since we were in NYC...almost 10 years. One big one is Broadway!!! We had tickets for Wicked then went and bought last minute tickets for Mary Poppins. A huge must...if you like that kind of thing.

Loved seeing the touristy stuff like Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square etc. We also hoped over to Jersey to Carlos' Bakery. Yummy!

lorigaud 10-13-2021 07:25 PM

I've been a few times - would definitely recommend taking the ferry out to see the Statue of Liberty up close if you can. Also loved the Top of the Rock - amazing views! Times Square is a must. I remember going up in the Empire State Building in high school - it's iconic. :)

Carmine's is awesome. Katz's Deli is another favorite. The food trucks are amazing - the Halal guys are a favorite.

The 911 Memorial is on my list but I haven't made it there yet.

Not sure when they will start putting up holiday decorations, but they are incredible. Just walking around and seeing all of the window displays is super fun.

I hope you get to go!

scrappinnewbie 10-14-2021 07:36 PM

Thanks a bunch y'all for the information and suggestions. I am keeping a list.

I very much appreciate the ideas. I haven't had a moment to do any research.

Thank you! Thank you!

iScrap 10-17-2021 03:48 PM

There is so, so much to see in NYC. No way to see everything in a week. I've been here for years and still have so much to see. I could spend a week in Central Park alone. haha These are a few of my recommendations based on the Central Park area that you might be able to walk to depending on where you're staying in the CP area.

For attractions in/around Central Park:
American Museum of Natural History
Guggenheim

In Central Park:
The Bow Bridge
The Ramble
The Mall (super pretty in the fall)

Favorite food places on the West Side:
Hummus Place
Sala Thai
Mille-feuille Bakery Cafe

Favorite food places on the East Side:
Paola's Osteria
Dig
Lolita's Kitchen
Lady M's

I would also highly recommend the 9-11 Memorial. It will be worth the cab fare/subway ride.

I hope you get to visit and have a great time!

DawnMarch 10-19-2021 03:28 PM

One of my favorite NYC things to do is to wander around Soho -- there are some lovely shopping areas that are more less crazy than, say, 5th Ave or Times Square -- and have lunch at Prince St. Pizza.