Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   you guys (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88764)

KristinCB 03-22-2018 01:19 PM

you guys

I'm the worst gallery commenter ever. I can't seem to think of anything to say these days and it makes me feel really bad because I want to leave positive praise but I blank out on what i'm saying!

Does anyone else struggle with leaving real and meaningful comments? I suppose it goes hand in hand with journaling. I suck at that too :P

adi&co. 03-22-2018 01:58 PM

I feel like my comments get repetitive. I have a tendency to notice shadows and clustering for example so if I notice that, I will comment on that. I always try to just pick something that I really like about the page and comment on that. I like getting those types of comments anyway, lol

PS thanks for your comment on my page! I might have squealed over being noticed by KCB :D

jacinda 03-22-2018 02:11 PM

I'm not a big gallery commenter, but mainly because of time. When I do comment I just say what I think. If I think it's beautiful, I just say that. If the layout really caught my eye in the gallery, I say that, and then a little explanation of why. I don't find it hard to find something to say, so much as finding the time to do it.

Saar 03-22-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adi&co. (Post 1062912505)
I feel like my comments get repetitive. I have a tendency to notice shadows and clustering for example so if I notice that, I will comment on that. I always try to just pick something that I really like about the page and comment on that. I like getting those types of comments anyway, lol

PS thanks for your comment on my page! I might have squealed over being noticed by KCB :D

This is me as well.

KingsQueen82 03-22-2018 02:13 PM

I struggle sometimes too. I don't comment on a ton of layouts b/c I don't want them to be generic or repetitive. But if I do comment on your page it's b/c I really love it! Like Adi, I try to find the one thing and focus on that (sometimes it's more than one! Lol..)... whether it's a great story told, or the photos or shadowing. Sometimes it's just how perfectly the kit and photos match up. I'm very matchy matchy and a perfect fit makes me giddy!

I want all my gallery comments to be like little masterpieces in themselves but let's be honest. We all appreciate gallery comments even if they're just "wow" or "beautiful" right? I know I should focus less on perfection and myself, and more on other people's feelings. Aaaaaannnnddd... somehow I turned gallery comments into "Geez, I'm a selfish person". LOL!

I'm off to go leave some comments now. :D

dagi 03-22-2018 02:17 PM

I love to leave comments on layouts.. I always try to pick something I really love about it and mention that :). but, I'd need more time to do so, that is the first and many times I feel I am just repeating myself.. I rather suck at journaling too so yes, that might be the reason :D

rach3975 03-22-2018 02:21 PM

I can't stop over thinking my comments! I prefer to write something specific and meaningful, but then I start thinking, "If I mention the clusters, are they going to think I don't like other aspects of the layout? Does it come off as judgy if I mention the parts I love? I'm not a super scrapper; who am I to judge the best parts of this layout? What if I say I like the clusters but layers was a better term for it?" Argh...I think part of the reason I look at layouts more on IG than in the gallery is that I can just click the heart and not over think it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

adi&co. 03-22-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 1062912515)
but then I start thinking, "If I mention the clusters, are they going to think I don't like other aspects of the layout? Does it come off as judgy if I mention the parts I love? I'm not a super scrapper; who am I to judge the best parts of this layout? What if I say I like the clusters but layers was a better term for it?"

Oh man! well from someone who gets comments on my pages (lol!) I can say that if they mention one thing, I don't think they dislike another thing. I just like hearing what people think of my pages! I imagine my kids and their kids looking at the books later in life and saying the same comments you guys are saying

Neverland Scraps 03-22-2018 02:39 PM

Sometimes I feel like I say the same thing because I'm focusing on learning how to make clusters and shadowing. So I feel like I'm commenting too much on them. When I feel that way, I take a break, come back and refocus. It's hard sometimes. It happens to everyone. But I'm sure people always appreciate any kind comment towards their page because it means someone saw it and took the time to write something nice :wub:

LJSDesigns 03-22-2018 02:54 PM

I am usually pretty good with words, but I find posting authentic, meaningful comments in the gallery a challenge too. I also just left the GSO blog team because composing a post took at least four hours and totally stressed me out because I wanted to say the right thing each and every time.

tanyiadeskins 03-22-2018 03:11 PM

I love leaving love on layouts because I enjoy looking at other people's creativity (I think that's why I love Instagram so much). I honestly don't worry about what I say. I go through the gallery one page at a time and open in a new tab for each layout that jumped out at me and I love. Then I just say why I love it, like Jacinda basically. The only thing I worry about is if my over use of "!" makes me seem insincere but I can't help it. If I really feel it, it just needs more exclamation marks lol

and on the other side of things, I love love :wub: and have not personally had any issues where I was wondering someone's intentions in their comments, if that helps any :)

Neverland Scraps 03-22-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJSDesigns (Post 1062912527)
I am usually pretty good with words, but I find posting authentic, meaningful comments in the gallery a challenge too. I also just left the GSO blog team because composing a post took at least four hours and totally stressed me out because I wanted to say the right thing each and every time.

That's me with blogging, journaling--anything that needs genuine writing! I need to think in silence to write. It take a long time to write. I can't imagine four hours for a blog post. Bless your heart! :wub:

craftytam 03-22-2018 03:59 PM

I would love all my comments to be real and perfect. I think I am attracted to LOs usually by the same things, so my comments can seem repetitive, but they really are sincere!
I have the worst time with journaling, though, because as soon as I sit down to write (type) something out, my brain shuts down!! It could have sounded so beautiful in my head a minute before, but never comes out that way when I type it out! :p

Leablahblah 03-22-2018 04:54 PM

Whatever the comment says it's always nice to get feedback. Even if it's just "nice layout" or something more profound.

Like others I always try to focus on one thing or two that I love about the page I'm commenting on.

But when the comments come from designers!! woot woot! :w00t::wub:

Kjersti 03-22-2018 06:08 PM

It's the thought that counts....it feels good when someone takes the time to comment on your layout! <3

nietis 03-22-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjersti (Post 1062912554)
It's the thought that counts....it feels good when someone takes the time to comment on your layout! <3

This! I love getting comments, even if it's just a generic one. For someone to take time to look and comment on my layout, that's pretty sweet already. :)

LJSDesigns 03-23-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytam (Post 1062912537)
I have the worst time with journaling, though, because as soon as I sit down to write (type) something out, my brain shuts down!! It could have sounded so beautiful in my head a minute before, but never comes out that way when I type it out! :p

I love journaling and it comes much easier to me. I think I get tripped up worrrying about how my comments will make someone feel, but after reading this post, I am going to try to worry less and comment more. It won't be easy, because worry is my middle name.

YepBrook 03-23-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacinda (Post 1062912508)
I'm not a big gallery commenter, but mainly because of time. When I do comment I just say what I think. If I think it's beautiful, I just say that. If the layout really caught my eye in the gallery, I say that, and then a little explanation of why. I don't find it hard to find something to say, so much as finding the time to do it.

Ditto!

I just lack the time to browse the gallery. It's something I've gotten out of the habit of doing. I need to set aside more time for it. Or make a goal to leave 5 comments a week. :o

SeattleSheri 03-23-2018 10:28 AM

Personally, I'm totally ok with generic comments. If someone took the time to look at my page and liked it well enough to comment, it's a sincere comment, even if doesn't call out specifically what they liked :)

I also suffer from having a difficult time coming up with unique comments.

Related question: If someone posts a page with a template, is it weird to comment on the composition since it's an adaptation of a template?

YepBrook 03-23-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleSheri (Post 1062912657)
Personally, I'm totally ok with generic comments. If someone took the time to look at my page and liked it well enough to comment, it's a sincere comment, even if doesn't call out specifically what they liked :)

Related question: If someone posts a page with a template, is it weird to comment on the composition since it's an adaptation of a template?

As a template designer, I think commenting on any aspect of the page (including the composition) is appropriate. Since, technically, the scrapper CHOSE that template and used it as a tool - same as any other product in their page. kwim? Let them have credit for it. They bought it and used it in a pleasing way. :wub:

Neverland Scraps 03-23-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luan37 (Post 1062912546)
Whatever the comment says it's always nice to get feedback. Even if it's just "nice layout" or something more profound.

Like others I always try to focus on one thing or two that I love about the page I'm commenting on.

I know, that gets me so giddy and excited....like they SAW my layout with THEIR product! :wub: *swoon* :wub:

Neverland Scraps 03-23-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleSheri (Post 1062912657)

I do this all the time, but never realize it's a template until after the post has been made! But yeah, they are using the template for some reason. They altered it to fit their scrapping style and the composition, whether template or not, is great!

ellasspace 03-23-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062912500)
I'm the worst gallery commenter ever. I can't seem to think of anything to say these days and it makes me feel really bad because I want to leave positive praise but I blank out on what i'm saying!

Does anyone else struggle with leaving real and meaningful comments? I suppose it goes hand in hand with journaling. I suck at that too :P

To be honest you’re short and sweet comment on one of my layouts the other day literally sent me over the moon. To be told I amaze YOU was awesome, it was so exciting to see your love for it even if it wasn’t a long thought out post. In true honestly I’d prefer 20 I love it comments over 1 long lengthy post in my galleries most days any layout love at all feels great. I have been trying to comment more but can’t get the gallery to let me reply most the time, it’s so frustrating!

monia13 03-23-2018 10:43 AM

As much as I love getting love comments on my layouts, I would love to get constructive criticism as well. Seriously. If there is something that can be done better or something looks weird because I applied wrong shadow or placed something in a wrong spot, I want to know. Although I've been scrapping for several years, I'm still considering myself a novice with so much room for improvement.

ellasspace 03-23-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjersti (Post 1062912554)

That’s how I feel about it, I honestly question if it’s good or bad more when I have like 20 looks in a day but not 1 comment :(

lovely1m 03-23-2018 11:36 AM

Mine always seems to say, "oh, i love this" or "what a great layout". I mean I want to comment cause I love the layout, but I don't know how to convey that any more.

adi&co. 03-23-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luan37 (Post 1062912546)

YES!! :w00t::wub:

Saar 03-23-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062912521)
Sometimes I feel like I say the same thing because I'm focusing on learning how to make clusters and shadowing. So I feel like I'm commenting too much on them. When I feel that way, I take a break, come back and refocus. It's hard sometimes. It happens to everyone. But I'm sure people always appreciate any kind comment towards their page because it means someone saw it and took the time to write something nice :wub:

I totally agree with you. :wub:

SeattleSheri 03-23-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1062912658)
As a template designer, I think commenting on any aspect of the page (including the composition) is appropriate. Since, technically, the scrapper CHOSE that template and used it as a tool - same as any other product in their page. kwim? Let them have credit for it. They bought it and used it in a pleasing way. :wub:

Thanks Brook! I've always wondered how template designers felt about it. :wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062912660)
I do this all the time, but never realize it's a template until after the post has been made! But yeah, they are using the template for some reason. They altered it to fit their scrapping style and the composition, whether template or not, is great!

Totally makes sense!

KristinCB 03-23-2018 02:28 PM

years and years ago I remember people talking about not liking comments that were short/lacked meaning and so I think it's one of those silly things that has stayed with me in the back of my mind (along with many other things I should try and let go of hahaha)

SeattleSheri 03-23-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062912704)
years and years ago I remember people talking about not liking comments that were short/lacked meaning and so I think it's one of those silly things that has stayed with me in the back of my mind (along with many other things I should try and let go of hahaha)

I totally remember that. I think it stemmed from people at DST who would literally just paste the same comment on 100 layouts hoping for return feedback to promote their products.

YepBrook 03-23-2018 04:41 PM

I remember that, too, Kristin. And I'm the type of person who will take ANY comment, heck... I enjoy just seeing my view count go up. So, I never let that get to me too much. I think if someone takes the time to say anything at all about my pages, even if it's just "awesome!" or "wow!" I think that's GREAT. :)

BobbieSmith 03-23-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1062912500)

I am exactly the same :crying:

adi&co. 03-23-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1062912732)
I remember that, too, Kristin. And I'm the type of person who will take ANY comment, heck... I enjoy just seeing my view count go up. So, I never let that get to me too much. I think if someone takes the time to say anything at all about my pages, even if it's just "awesome!" or "wow!" I think that's GREAT. :)

hahah I'm glad I"m not the only one who loves the view count going up :D

misfitinmn 03-24-2018 03:38 PM

Leaving comments is perhaps the one thing I don't usually overthink (although, sometimes I get a little exclamation point happy and people probably think I'm a spaz) but I just open the pages that catch my eye, and then let my brain do the talking. Being wordy is not a problem for me, if anything I am maybe a bit TOO wordy. I love leaving comments but with the way my time gets sucked into some kind of vacuum lately, I need to make a more purposeful effort to get into the gallery. I know how happy I feel when I get comments and I love knowing I'm giving someone else that feeling (though, my comments are always sincere, and not just me trying to give someone happy thoughts - that's just a nice side effect!)

ChristineF 03-25-2018 09:37 AM

I leave a comment on a page I really like, they're often short and to the point. Sometimes I will mention a specific item I liked or how they used the template in an interesting way or something like that. But I also have my moments with the generic comments that just go on auto pilot, but I don't leave love in the gallery if I don't like a page so a comment is always a good sign, no matter the wording.

Sheana 03-25-2018 08:58 PM

I suck at commenting... and journaling.

ErinShannon 03-26-2018 03:07 PM

1. I personally don't care what the comment is. I don't mean that in a snarky way either, lol, but legit - if someone takes the time to leave a long drawn out paragraph or a "this is cool", that makes my day. It's more about the recognition then how long the comment is for me.

2. Kristin & the rest of the SSD designers - when one of you comment, again doesn't matter what the comment is, it totally makes my day - and I am not going to lie, I absolutely fangirl and act all stupid and tell everyone around me like my husband who doesn't understand how amazingly awesome it is to have your favorite designers acknowledge your work. It's such a rush!!! So thank you all!!!

Erin