Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scary Spam in my Private Mailbox (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38216)

BHo 01-14-2010 07:14 PM

Scary Spam in my Private Mailbox

I have been receiving numerous scary private messages from "forum members" who I feel have no purpose here other than to try to infect our systems with virus or go on a phishing mission. Usually they just happen to be from the last new member to join the site. Imagine that!

I have contacted SSD several times about this but havent' received even as much as an acknowledgement of my emails.

This is really starting to creep me out.

Is anybody else getting weird private messages here, all relating to computer security in some way?

Honestly, I"m about ready to delete my account, and I really don't want to do that.

LenaGardner 01-14-2010 07:22 PM

hey Barb :)

They've been deleting the members as soon as it is brought to their attention! I've received 3 this week, myself. I just don't click on them. (after the first one that is). And I don't click thru at all of course.

Jenna 01-14-2010 07:39 PM

I have gotten two today. Grrrr.

anacal 01-14-2010 08:01 PM

I got 2 today too. Haven't clicked on either. It's clearly some spam issues with the server. Weird. :confused:

Tracyfish 01-14-2010 08:06 PM

Robin has been pointed to this thread.

heatherdumas 01-14-2010 08:16 PM

I have gotten 2 today and forwarded the pm to Robin....

ColleenSwerb 01-14-2010 08:31 PM

The user GoodFriend was banned this morning.

The staff has been taking care of it as we can, but they seem to not be PMing us, so it makes it a little harder. Just don't click on anything inside the PM and you'll be fine.

mcmartian 01-14-2010 08:35 PM

i received 2 today here. I recived 2 this month at other sites too. it's getting very annoying.

my4boys 01-14-2010 08:48 PM

I got 1 yesterday and one again today...crazy people, don't they have anything better to do!!!

FlawedPurfektion 01-14-2010 08:57 PM

Ive gotten the same message 3 times now today..one from GooDFriend and another two from corvinn564 stating Hello, my friend. I got message about viruses activity from your PC. Please, take steps to prevent this. Check your computer at....removed the links for safety purposes.

ColleenSwerb 01-14-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlawedPurfektion (Post 588580)
Ive gotten the same message 3 times now today..one from GooDFriend and another two from corvinn564 stating Hello, my friend. I got message about viruses activity from your PC. Please, take steps to prevent this. Check your computer at....removed the links for safety purposes.

Both of these users have been banned and will no longer be sending such PMs.

scrapbookladykim 01-14-2010 09:33 PM

Oh thank goodness! I've received two today and was getting a little freaked myself! Both were from the folks mentioned above who have been banned.

Thanks everyone!!
Kim

mummytothree 01-14-2010 09:39 PM

I'm wondering if the settings of the board can be changes so that you have to have a certain number of posts before you can PM?? I know my mommy board is a Vbulletin board and members have to have 10 posts before they can PM. Might be something worth looking into.

neenee 01-14-2010 09:46 PM

I haven't had any here yet thank goodness. I have had two at another forum. Strangely enough it is a forum that I hardly ever go to. I think I have like 20 posts there.....:p

I guess they just randomly target whomever and don't have any way to base if off of activity....cuz we all know that I spend A LOT of time here.

bttrflygrl 01-14-2010 09:48 PM

I got two today - the second one just a few minutes ago at about 8:40 pm.

HeatherB 01-14-2010 10:05 PM

got spam from corvinn564 20 minutes ago

lauren grier 01-14-2010 10:10 PM

already got that one :] ty for letting us know!

we are doing what we can to get it under control. very sorry for any inconvenience :[ I know it's annoying.. I'm grr'ing at it all too. Your help is GREATLY appreciated, every time you guys tell us about a spammer (username is a must :] ) -- all the quicker we can eradicate the problem :]
as I said in a different post PLEASE do not click any links etc in pm's you are unsure of. No one at SSD will ever pm you about protecting your computer etc etc. if you receive a message similar to above it is spam and again do NOT click it as this could potentially damage your computer.

junebug 01-14-2010 10:19 PM

i just got one from corvinn564. i delete them immediately. hope they give up soon, lol.

Robin Carlton 01-14-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHo (Post 588482)
I have contacted SSD several times about this but havent' received even as much as an acknowledgement of my emails.

Hey there,

What email addy are you using to contact us? I think I've replied to all of the notes from people letting us know about the spam that I've gotten via email (I am behind on PMs sorry) and like the girls have mentioned we've been trying to ban these losers as soon as we hear about them. I'm currently researching the best way to prevent PM spam here in the forums and hope to have something in place in the next 24 hours.

Thanks for your patience,
Robin

DoodleLT 01-14-2010 11:08 PM

I have 3 here are there names

corvinn564
GooDFriend
jaamill831

Bravocrew 01-15-2010 01:10 AM

got one,too

I just posted about receiving a spam from corvinn564( in a another section)...I deleted corvinn's pm, too. These folks are the worst! Thank you to the admn. for trying to help us out.

nun69 01-15-2010 01:13 AM

thank so much for looking out for us girls :)

BHo 01-15-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 588673)
Hey there,

What email addy are you using to contact us? I think I've replied to all of the notes from people letting us know about the spam that I've gotten via email (I am behind on PMs sorry) and like the girls have mentioned we've been trying to ban these losers as soon as we hear about them. I'm currently researching the best way to prevent PM spam here in the forums and hope to have something in place in the next 24 hours.

Thanks for your patience,
Robin

Hi Robin,

I've been using the "contact us" link at the bottom of the pages. I'm glad that I'm not the only one, and thank you for being on top of these losers!