Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kid Friendly Smoothies (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77612)

Beebo 06-01-2014 12:13 PM

Kid Friendly Smoothies

After reading Spotlight Sunday this morning about Carries green smoothies I wonder if any of you have any great kid friendly recipes for kids? My granddaughter, Adrienne, who is 9, was talking to me about this last night and was wondering if I could make her some smoothies.

Darcy Baldwin 06-01-2014 01:30 PM

For me, all smoothies are kid friendly - even green ones, just ease them into a full blown purely green smoothie. Start with peanut butter, banana and milk/yogurt (you can even add some green in here in small amounts). Or do frozen fruit + pomegrante juice for benefits. Or a more green smoothie with orange or apple juice as a base for the sweet. Just do a smoothie recipe lookup and you'll get TONS. Just keep it healthy by not relying solely on fruit juice (instead use whole fruit and just some juice to help it blend well), use lots of ice for the slush effect if you like that, and make sure the greens you use are fully incorporated. It helps to freeze those first for some folks.

We live on smoothies for breakfast in the summers and love playing around with flavors.

Darcy Baldwin 06-01-2014 01:30 PM

For me, all smoothies are kid friendly - even green ones, just ease them into a full blown purely green smoothie. Start with peanut butter, banana and milk/yogurt (you can even add some green in here in small amounts). Or do frozen fruit + pomegrante juice for benefits. Or a more green smoothie with orange or apple juice as a base for the sweet. Just do a smoothie recipe lookup and you'll get TONS. Just keep it healthy by not relying solely on fruit juice (instead use whole fruit and just some juice to help it blend well), use lots of ice for the slush effect if you like that, and make sure the greens you use are fully incorporated. It helps to freeze those first for some folks.

We live on smoothies for breakfast in the summers and love playing around with flavors.

luckyme 06-01-2014 02:03 PM

Here's one that's good - and my 8 year old daughter and my husband both like it. Just blend until smooth.

1 cup fat-free greek yogurt, honey flavour
1 banana (frozen or fresh)
1 cup frozen mixed berries
(makes 2 smoothies)

If you like a bit of crunch, you can also top it with a palmful of bran buds. Yummy and filling.

tanyiadeskins 06-01-2014 02:34 PM

my kids love the ones we have made regardless of whats in em as well

we did
1 green apples
1 banana
1c kale
1c greek honey yogurt
1/2c of water to make it less thick
3tbsp chia seeds

makes 2 8oz smoothies

carrie1977 06-01-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin (Post 1062674874)

Exactly this!!! My kids have tried all of my smoothies. They really don't taste like veggies at all. I mostly use coconut water or almond milk for my liquid but you can use so many other things. Just experiment and see what she might prefer.

mariewilcox 06-01-2014 03:49 PM

Cheyanne loves almond milk with mixed berries, spinach, and some chia seeds. You can't taste the spinach at all and with the berries you don't need any sweetener at all.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

zakirahzakaria 06-02-2014 04:38 AM

I love Banana & Strawberry smoothie with Oats. My 1-year-old nephew loves it too & couldn't stop drinking it whenever I make it. Here's the recipe (makes 2 servings):

2 large bananas
5-6 strawberries
Milk (pour into the blender until it covers the fruits)
⅓ cup instant oats

Directions:
Put everything into a blender & blend until smooth, about 10-15 seconds. Serve immediately. Best consumed within 15 mins.

zakirahzakaria 06-02-2014 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie1977 (Post 1062674892)
Exactly this!!! My kids have tried all of my smoothies. They really don't taste like veggies at all. I mostly use coconut water or almond milk for my liquid but you can use so many other things. Just experiment and see what she might prefer.

I went to a smoothie bar and tried their green smothie, and it's so good! I think coconut water really makes a difference. They also put ½ a banana it it. I can't even taste the spinach, which is good!

Beebo 06-02-2014 09:51 AM

Thank you all for helping!