Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Languages (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94808)

bienejen 10-16-2021 06:58 PM

Languages

My 12 year old has a mind that is always going and he's always pondering things. Somehow at dinner tonight we ended up taking about where our ancestors are from and other countries and the languages spoken and how many languages people speak and and and..... Anyway, it got me thinking, we have such a diverse population on here..
What country are you from?
What is your native language?
What other languages can you speak, if any?
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why?

bienejen 10-16-2021 07:01 PM

I'll start.
What country are you from? United States
What is your native language? English
What other languages can you speak, if any? I took French in high school and Japanese in college but unfortunately, didn't retain much
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Being of German heritage, I wish I'd taken German in high school and really gotten fluent in it.

jaye 10-16-2021 11:12 PM

I’m from Canada, speak Canadian/English
Second language—the Queen’s English? My parents are from England so I have picked up a lot of their phrases, lol.

Took French all through High School, can say hello, goodbye, what’s your name and I don’t speak French in French.

My ex-husband’s family was German and I can count to three, his mother spoke both high and low German. Oma would speak German with some English thrown in there so I could kind of follow the conversation.

I wish I could speak French fluently.

joelsgirl 10-17-2021 01:16 AM

What country are you from? I'm from America, but I live in the Philippines.
What is your native language? English, but there are 120 different languages spoken in the Philippines!
What other languages can you speak, if any? I speak Bahasa Malay/Indonesian and Tagalog (Filipino).
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? When we were in the States last time, my daughter's school was full of native Spanish speakers, and I really wished that I spoke Spanish. If I ever move back, I will probably try to learn it so that I can communicate with more people.

Kiana 10-17-2021 08:02 AM

I'm from America. I only speak English...tried to take Spanish in high school but didn't retain any of it except hola ...lol
If I could magically know another language, I think I'd like to speak spanish and german. Spanish since there are so many immigrants here in the US and German because our company has a German parent company so when they come visit I could communicate with them.

HeideC 10-17-2021 08:35 AM

What is your native language? English but my great grandparents were from Poland so I often heard fluent Polish
What other languages can you speak, if any? I took Spanish in college but only remembered enough to pass the course and order a beer
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Um yes! Italian Why? It sounds so good

Saar 10-17-2021 09:00 AM

What country are you from? Belgium
What is your native language? Dutch
What other languages can you speak, if any? English, a little bit of French and a little bit of German
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Sign language

JennNtheBoys 10-17-2021 09:55 AM

Thats a great conversation. My 14 year old enjoys learning other languages, every day he says something in a different language. Now mind you, he sticks to the simple things like please, thank you, i love you etc but still the fact that he can say those things in, I think up to 8 different languages is pretty neat.

What country are you from? After tracing my family tree back a couple hundred years, both sides of my family have bounced the border between Canada and the US enough for me to truly consider myself a 50/50 split. I have lived in Canada most of my life, but I am from the US.
What other languages can you speak, if any? A little French, you would think in having to take it from the 4th grade to the 12th grade I could speak it more, but the way it was taught to us didn't really set us up for that. It was mostly all vocabulary up until the 11th grade THEN they tried teaching us how to form sentences.... it was a lot for just two years. I can do a lot of basic sentences but not enough to have a conversation. I can understand it to listen though.
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? One language I have always been interested in learning is Sign Language.

angels 10-17-2021 10:59 AM

What country are you from? France, but originally from Belgium, I live in France for 21 years now
What is your native language? French
What other languages can you speak, if any? a little bit of English, but fortunately there are translators! :D
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Portuguese, to learn my son’s father’s language and more English for participate even more in discussions :)

jaye 10-17-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys (Post 1063070889)
What other languages can you speak, if any? A little French, you would think in having to take it from the 4th grade to the 12th grade I could speak it more, but the way it was taught to us didn't really set us up for that. It was mostly all vocabulary up until the 11th grade THEN they tried teaching us how to form sentences.... it was a lot for just two years. I can do a lot of basic sentences but not enough to have a conversation. I can understand it to listen though.

so this!! I could read it and translate it for a long time but couldn't speak it. It's the conversational french we need to learn, not how to conjugate a verb, lol. My former sister in law was from Quebec and it was interesting as her language was so different than what we learned in school. School we learned France
French which was very different from her French Canadian.

lovely1m 10-17-2021 01:05 PM

What country are you from? US
What other languages can you speak, if any? extremely broken German, just a tiny amount from school
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I wish I could speak better German, I always found it fun

Kimberly27 10-17-2021 03:00 PM

What country are you from? America...or in some cases the country of Texas! LOL Grew up in southern Virginia
What is your native language? English but I can have a very southern accent at times, esp if I am tired or have been around family a lot
What other languages can you speak, if any? Not fluent in any but I know a little bit of Spanish and a little sign language
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I would love to brush up on my Spanish and even my sign language. Spanish is heavily spoken here in San Antonio.

iScrap 10-17-2021 03:25 PM

What other languages can you speak, if any? Armenian
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I can speak limited French and Spanish and it's mostly just the basics. I wish to learn more Spanish as it's very prevalent in the US.

Leablahblah 10-17-2021 04:33 PM

What country are you from? France but have lived in the US for almost 15 years

What is your native language? French

What other languages can you speak, if any? English is my main language now. I speak fluent French. I used to speak Italian and German and a bit of Spanish. Unfortunately you forget if you don't practice. I also took Latin and a bit of Greek in school. I love languages! I also learned baby sign language and all my babies used it.

If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Sign language would be really cool. All languages if I could.

tjscraps 10-17-2021 06:20 PM

What country are you from? Canada
What other languages can you speak, if any? French
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Sign Language and Spanish - wish I could speak both of those

MamaBee 10-17-2021 07:22 PM

What country are you from? USA

What other languages can you speak, if any? Had a semester of Spanish in High School and my teacher told me that I do not have an ear for languages so it would be best if I would drop Spanish. haha. I used to know Sign Language... my mom is deaf (has CIs), but she is a amazing at reading lips so I didn't use it much. I've brushed up on it a bit with my son in classes, but he isn't interested in learning any more sign. He is all about Latin.

If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I would love to learn any other language, I'm not fussy. I wish I could understand Latin better - I can not, for the life of me, make it stick... I would love to learn German as that is my "people"... my grandma used to speak German to my great grandma when I was a kid... I would love to learn Russian so I knew what my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are always talking about at family gathers, we suspect they are plotting our deaths... I would love to learn Italian so I could talk to my other sister-in-law and her family (she is from Italy). And I would like to learn Spanish or Hmong as they are many in this area.

mywisecrafts 10-18-2021 06:39 AM

I’m from the US. I speak English. I don’t really speak another language. I took Spanish and you’d think after 6 years in San Antonio and 10 years working with an office in Puerto Rico, I’d at least be able to speak some….. but nope. I can read and understand Spanish better than I speak it

Spanish & Portuguese are 2 languages that I’d like to speak.

Rubia Padilha 10-18-2021 09:00 AM

Oh, I love this thread. :)

What country are you from? Brazil. I am from the South (Rio Grande do Sul), but live in a big city, close to São Paulo, since 2003. :)
What is your native language? Portuguese. Not Spanish, as most of the world think we speak. lol
What other languages can you speak, if any? I can't speak, but I can read perfectly in English. And write a little. But, no, I can't speak. hah
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I wish I could speak ALL.THE.LANGUAGES. But, unfortunately, I discover that wish inside of me late and now I don't have what needs to go for it. But I love different languages. :)

StacyLynn 10-18-2021 02:43 PM

What other languages can you speak, if any? I took one year of French in High School and two years of Spanish in college.... def not enough of either to really have a conversation other than " Hi how are you...."

If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I wish I could speak French and Spanish....Since my great grandparents are from Russia, I would love to learn Russian, and since becoming an Outlander fan speaking Gaelic would be cool....

TXAmy 10-18-2021 03:53 PM

What is your native language? English (written only)
What other languages can you speak, if any? ASL (American Sign Language)
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Would love to learn different sign languages especially BSL (British sign language). Thankfully we do have a little bit of "universal" sign language we can use if we ever converse with others as needed.

littlekiwi 10-19-2021 02:56 AM

What country are you from? New Zealand
What other languages can you speak, if any? None though I understand a tiny bit of French as I took it in my first year of high school and I understand a tiny bit of Maori (one of New Zealand's three official languages)
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? New Zealand Sign Language....for professional reasons mainly, only thing stopping me is $$, time commitment and I don't want to start an in person course only to have to give it up if I get a job and move so I'm waiting til I'm settled and working

Dalis 10-19-2021 08:34 AM

What country are you from? Puerto Rico
What is your native language? Spanish
What other languages can you speak, if any? English and read a bit of Portuguese.
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I would love to learn to speak Italian and learn sign language. Italian is pretty close to Spanish so if I hear people speaking slowly I can get it, but when have you heard an Italian speak slowly? LOL!!!

aussiegirl 10-19-2021 11:32 AM

What other languages can you speak, if any? I had 3 years of French, but can only speak and understand a little. All of my girls have had Spanish, so they have taught me a few words and phrases here and there
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Sign Language

SeattleSheri 10-19-2021 09:38 PM

What other languages can you speak, if any? Not fluently. I studied German for 2 years in HS and took 1 year of Spanish in college. I can read Spanish, but am not a conversational speaker.
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I wish I had an aptitude for other languages. For whatever reason, the way I process language is not conducive to picking them up. I took a few linguistics classes in college so I know a bit about the mechanics behind it. I even have difficultly deciphering people speaking English with thick accents (more than the average person, that is). I rely on closed captioning when watching shows/movies where the actors are speaking with accents.

knittingbec 10-21-2021 01:08 AM

What other languages can you speak, if any? Italian & French (but not as well as I used to) and I can make a grocery list in Russian ;) I learned French in elementary, high school & college, then after college, I spent a year in Italy and it was so easy to pick up the basics and I went to Italian language school in the evenings. I learned some sign language at summer camp (the chorus to 2 songs and it's still dangerous if they come on the radio when I'm driving ;) )
If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? I wish I made it a point to seek out people to speak French & Italian with so I could speak as well as I used to-- I recently met another military spouse who is from Italy and I just came right out and said, "Hi! I want to be your friend because I want to practice speaking Italian" ;) I also wish I spoke Spanish. And I wish I could speak more Russian than a 1-year-old-- my husband is (was...he hasn't practiced in over a year now) fluent and there are often moments when it would be handy to be able to converse around our children without them understanding us ;)

Lidia G 10-22-2021 11:50 AM

What country are you from? Canada, specifically the province of Quebec. I say that because Quebec is considered a distinct society, or a nation within a nation...it's a long story, lol.
What is your native language? English and Polish
What other languages can you speak, if any or wish you spoke? I speak French because I live in a French speaking province however French speaking Quebecers know right away that I'm not a French Canadian just by my accent. I also speak Polish because that is where my family are from and I love the language. My parents spoke only Polish to me and my brother so that's how I learned it. If only my brain could retain a language, I would love to learn Spanish.

Sherri Tierney 10-24-2021 08:19 PM

I'm from the U.S. and a native English speaker.
I took Spanish in high school and in college but its been a few years. I am currently using Duolingo to re-teach myself.

bienejen 10-25-2021 04:58 PM

Such an interesting variety of languages spoken, learned and forgotten, and desired to be learned.
I think it's great there is so much interest in learning sign language! When we had so many press conferences by our governor during the height of Covid, I was really intrigued by the different people she had doing ASL. I didn't realize how important facial expressions were as part of that.
Good luck to everyone wanting to learn something new! I hope you find an app or program that works for you!

HavaDrPepper 10-25-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bienejen (Post 1063071770)
Such an interesting variety of languages spoken, learned and forgotten, and desired to be learned.
I think it's great there is so much interest in learning sign language! When we had so many press conferences by our governor during the height of Covid, I was really intrigued by the different people she had doing ASL. I didn't realize how important facial expressions were as part of that.
Good luck to everyone wanting to learn something new! I hope you find an app or program that works for you!

One of the ASL interpreters for the Ohio COVID press conferences was deaf herself. It was very interesting how they worked it. Another hearing interpreter listened to the governor and signed it for her viewing off screen. She then signed it on TV. I did a layout for my COVID book just about them. That gal was interesting to watch... her facial expressions were huge. I ended up watching her and just listening to the governor!

LJSDesigns 10-25-2021 11:13 PM

What other languages can you speak, if any? Most days I am lucky to speak sensibly at all in English, so no other languages. I have tried to learn German since I work for a German company and travel there, but while I know the words and phrases, I can't get the pronunciation at all. It is so bad my colleagues wince when I speak German. :(

If you don't speak any other languages, is there one you wish you did? Why? Any would be nice. I have tried to learn French, Spanish and German, but like I said, I just can't actually speak it. I have often wondered if it is because I stuttered for years and had to have speech therapy all through school. I literally can't wrap my tongue around another language.