Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Switch from PC to Mac (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76271)

aly321 02-17-2014 02:38 PM

Switch from PC to Mac

Ok- after having 2 PCs die on me in the last couple of months, I decided to switch to a Mac. Now I need to know your favorite Mac tips and tricks. Lay it on me!

Oh- I need a suggestion for an unzipped for multiple files. :)

Thanks!

Lyd 02-17-2014 02:43 PM

On a Mac, your files will unzip automatically when you download them. Pretty awesome, huh?

I LOVE my Mac, and I'm happy to share tips with you. It will probably be a big shift for you though, so I'm not quite sure where to start. Do you actually have the Mac yet? Ask any questions you have, and I'm sure all the Mac girls will come running to help. :)

Traci Reed 02-17-2014 02:50 PM

YEEEEEESSSSS *WE WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD*

I mean...uh! Congrats!

knlchevys 02-17-2014 02:52 PM

Oh no! I want one just can't justify. That stinks so sorry Alyson! I swear Traci tries to sabotage anyone with PCs

BrattyMeg 02-17-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traci Reed (Post 1196716)
YEEEEEESSSSS *WE WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD*

I mean...uh! Congrats!

:thumbup:

Jen22 02-17-2014 03:16 PM

Congrats!! Can't think of much ... Um - oh, you can look into an app called Img2icns -- it allows you to put an image in place of a folder icon. Really nice for kits - I NEED to see the kit preview, not a blue folder. I use that all the time - one of the best recommendations I got after switching to a mac.

And also - if you highlight some stuff you wanna delete -- just pushing delete doesn't work. You either have to drag them to the trash can OR you can push Cmd+Delete and that will delete them without the dragging :)

Jen22 02-17-2014 03:17 PM

Oh you know what - I saw this shared on facebook the other day, and there are a couple in there I use all the time as well as a few things I had no clue about!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/14-mac...-your-computer

Keely~B 02-17-2014 05:58 PM

The learning curve wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected. I love, love my MAC.

The auto unzipping is sweet! I use an app called ICONA for my folders, similar to the one Jen uses. Love that sucker.

ripal 02-17-2014 07:36 PM

I don't know what others use, but I love Gyazo for sharing my screen captures.

https://gyazo.com/

Refresh - Cmd + r
Home - Cmd + up arrow
Print screen - Cmd + Shift + 3
Print screen selected area - Cmd + Shift +4

luckyme 02-17-2014 07:59 PM

This scares me! My computer is getting on in years -- and I'm debating Mac vs. PC too for my next purchase. Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me!

SmallMoments 02-17-2014 08:21 PM

Don't. Give. Up. I was so ready to throw in the towel when I first switched. After about a week I was glad I didn't and I will never go back to PC again!

Jen22 02-17-2014 11:46 PM

Yes don't give up. Yari was my savior when I first switched. If I couldn't find it on google - she was there to help me. She told me straight up -- don't do anything rash. To give it at least one week before giving up (and taking it back - cuz I was seriously considering returning the dang thing lol). That was a few years ago - needless to say things were moving along great by the end of that first week!

marlathrall 02-17-2014 11:59 PM

Welcome to the bright pretty side. :)

lorryfach 02-18-2014 03:15 AM

If you have a bunch of zipped files already (as in, you aren't downloading them) then you can just select them all and double click to unzip them.

lizj 02-18-2014 05:28 PM

Love my Mac. I second the suggestion about Img2icon. It is easy and free and you can see your kit previews that way. I also love brush pilot for viewing abr's on the Mac.

The best thing I did when I first got my Mac was sign up for Apple Care. It costs about $100 but provides unlimited support. You can call them any time and get help. Well worth it. You can also go to Apple stores and get in person help which I took total advantage of for months.

Macs are not as expensive as people think, when you consider how many PCs we all go through first before we become converts. You will love it.

Arual 02-19-2014 05:18 PM

I agree with the don't give up recommendation! After a solid week of playing, you'll feel much more comfortable... a week after that you'll be in love :-)

I also love the Img2icon. I spent a week off n on, getting all my folders to look pretty using this. Its so quick and easy. And now, I just do them as I get the kit. Ahhhh so pretty :-)

Arual 02-19-2014 06:11 PM

a great program for us mac users, if you are using photoshop too, is Preset Viewer. It allows us to see what our presets (shapes, styles, patterns, brushes, etc) look like outside of Photoshop without having to install them. It will automatically locate them all on your mac and pull them into the program. It's not free, but it's only about $10 bucks.

PS - I should clarify, it's the Breeze version, not just the Preset Viewer (that is for Windows) .. so it's Preset Viewer - Breeze. A friend just told me she thinks the price went up and is about $20 now. Argh. Bummer.

aly321 02-19-2014 06:22 PM

Thanks for all of the tips everyone! I really am loving it so far, but know that I still have a lot to learn. It is not as bad as I thought it would be to transition, and I am sure that I will have my bestie Lydia to help me along the way. :)

Lyd 02-19-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aly321 (Post 1197571)
Thanks for all of the tips everyone! I really am loving it so far, but know that I still have a lot to learn. It is not as bad as I thought it would be to transition, and I am sure that I will have my bestie Lydia to help me along the way. :)

You know it! :D Feel free to text or call anytime! :thumbup:

Nettio 02-19-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aly321 (Post 1197571)

LOL I was going to say that I used a book (Switching to the Mac I think it was?) but you're probably in better hands with Lydia. She's a wiz. :D