Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hazing/Initiation Rites (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87457)

DawnMarch 08-25-2017 11:05 AM

Hazing/Initiation Rites

There's an awful video in the news this morning of a Colorado cheerleader being forced to do a split by her teammates and coach. It looks very painful and I guess her parent complained to the school and practically the whole administration has been put on administrative leave. And then there's also news about the changes Penn State has put into effect after the death of a student in drunken fraternity hazing.

I'm curious if anyone here has been "hazed"? What about more "fun" initiation rites? I guess it can be tricky to know where one person's "fun" becomes another person's "hazing."

My sister went to a very, very small Christian college that was housed in an old resort lodge. It was a super cool building and had a moose head on one of the walls over a huge fireplace. Every year, they would take the moose head down, slather its lips up with vaseline and "make" the freshmen kiss the moose. As far as I know, everyone just thought it was fun/funny but who can say what some kids really felt about it?

When I was pledging a co-ed fraternity, the pledges were expected (jokingly) to do menial tasks like getting people drinks or food from the kitchen or running to the phone closet to answer the phone (shows you how long ago this was!). It really was just harmless stuff to make you feel like you had "earned" the right to join -- at least in my mind.

So have you been hazed or been through any fun initiations?

carrie1977 08-25-2017 11:27 AM

Nope...but I've never been a part of a sorority so....

I hate hearing things in the news where kids have died due to excessive hazing. Beer bitch is one thing but some of these news stories are crazy.

Fresno State is here in my town and there have been plenty of fraternities and sororities that have had to be closed down and/or suspended due to underage drinking and students either getting hurt/alcohol poisoning/dying. It's so sad. Shoot, they no longer serve beer at their sporting events.

KingsQueen82 08-25-2017 12:21 PM

When I was in high school the freshman were sold to the highest bidder from the upperclassmen. They actually called it a "slave auction" back then. I hated that b/c of course the higher your dollar the more popular you were and I wasn't Ms. Popularity but I wasn't hated either so at least I got off pretty easy!

The rules used to be pretty lax but they were changed after my older sister had an ungodly amount of crazy chemicals and food put into her hair. Mayo, syrup, eggs, bleach and who knows what else. It ended up costing a few hundred dollars to "fix" her hair but it was pretty much ruined after that, scalp burned, etc. She was hated. Lol.. Still it was not nice at all!

carrie1977 08-25-2017 01:19 PM

In high school? Jeeeeeeez

KingsQueen82 08-25-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie1977 (Post 1062884431)
In high school? Jeeeeeeez

Yeah, I come from a really tiny town (I graduated with 68 kids, 300 in the high school total) and I think good fun is hard to come by and grudges hold hard.

They used to put the money in the freshman's class fund but to tell you the truth I don't even know what that money was used for. I kinda just went with the flow for those 4 years. Lol...

carrie1977 08-25-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwany1999 (Post 1062884435)
As a member of a National Sorority and Advisor I don't support any type of hazing. What starts out simple enough as a joke or game can quickly escalate where some can get hurt physically, emotionally and/or mentally. If you are joining an organization that is doing this you should ask yourself if they are to be my "brothers or sisters" shouldn't we be bringing them up and working with them than tearing them down and making them do stupid things or having them drink way to much. I've see many times things get out of hand where it was never the intention but someone gets hurt.

Agreed.

ashaw 08-25-2017 04:17 PM

To be totally honest, this is one reason I never pushed my oldest son to do sports in high school. I was glad he wasn't interested. This was after hearing about a boy that was sodomized with a mop handle and other items by his high school football team mates and they also taped him to a chair and put duct tape on his private parts and ripped it off. He had bruises and his ** graphic ** anus cavity was torn to shreds. It was the most awful thing ever, the boy tried to harm himself, as basically that is a gang rape in my opinion and worse.

There was an episode on SVU that was about hazing, a student killed the coach after being brutalized by teammates at the instruction of the coach.

There are 3 movies that have brought awareness on this subject. This one: https://gordiecenter.studenthealth.v...haze-the-movie

and one called Burning Sands that brought awareness of college hazing after the death of Robert Champion, and another called Goat. We watched Burning Sands it was certainly difficult to watch young men be brutalized in the name of Brotherhood.

I was never in a sorority or sports but I went to plenty of sleep overs that were what I'd call hazing, not so much physical but emotional/mental/social torture.

DawnMarch 08-25-2017 04:43 PM

Yeah, it's really hard to understand how people can do some of these things. How do you convince yourself that it's ok to sexually brutalize someone under any circumstances, let alone when you're supposed to be part of a team or "family"? Humans are scary sometimes.

cherrygutz 08-25-2017 09:42 PM

Oh dear I saw that and I was thinking if they can't hear her when she screamed stop. I didn't finish it because I was thinking if they're serious?! I remember my highschool and I know they practice splitting to make it perfect but not like that. It was like they're forcing her to split. Her face was in so much agony it hurts me...

lissiejo 08-27-2017 05:34 PM

I have a fun story :) The summer I moved into the youth group at our church we had a car wash as a fundraiser. The older kids came out super early and "kidnapped" us from our homes (mom and dad knew it was happening) and took us to the church to serve us breakfast. It was a really cool thing and made us youngers feel a part of the group right off. I was also super excited to be a part of the ritual the next year!

YepBrook 08-27-2017 05:41 PM

We had the whole "slave auction" thing in High School, also. But thankfully I wasn't ever a freshman (because I was homeschooled my freshman year) so I only ever bid on people. Basically, our school had strict rules about what we could do with our slaves. We could make them take notes for us in class, carry our backpack, wait in the lunch line for us, etc. But we couldn't really take it any farther than that. I still didn't like it. It was such an odd thing to do to raise money for the senior class.

Julie Billingsley 08-27-2017 07:00 PM

I was a cheerleader in high school but in an era and location that it was just the simple pom-pom cheerleading, not the super athletic basket-toss-type cheerleading. Anyway, we were "kidnapped" in the very early morning. Blindfolded, egged, glopped with mayo, glittered, etc. And we had to attend school that day. It sucked. My hair was horrible but repairable, however it ruined my clothes which wasn't awesome. I grew up fairly poor so didn't have many clothes, so it was a real loss to me. My mom sacrificed a lot to pay for my cheer fees and was not pleased that the stupid hazing cost her even more.

My oldest son was in high school football and they had a huge no hazing policy. I was glad. Nobody needs that.

My dad was in the Navy and when he made E-7 they had a big hazing ritual. This was back in the 80s. He and the other new chiefs were required to dress in drag and a lot of other things. The Navy no longer allows hazing like this, supposedly.

KristinCB 08-27-2017 07:29 PM

I can't remember what it is that we had in our school.. but grade 9's were initiated in an assembly at the start of the school year. I had to do a wagon barrel race with another girl through nasty stuff on the floor.. ketchup, food, fish.. SO gross.

nietis 08-27-2017 08:49 PM

I had some hazing experience in the junior high, way back to 20 years ago. I'm glad it wasn't as crazy as some now. I remember we were asked a specific pattern & color ribbon to tie on our hair (for the girls) and go around to collect our senior's signatures.