Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Friendly Reminder to Back Up Your Files (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87994)

allyanne 12-02-2017 08:16 AM

Friendly Reminder to Back Up Your Files

Hey friends, learn from my mistakes and back up all your photos and pages! I had a catastrophic EHD failure on Thursday morning, and I lost 6 months of photos from my "good" camera and two months of pages. :crying: Thankfully, on a whim, I backed-up all my pages through September a few weeks ago, and I planned to do the rest later. I still have all my phone photos, and I've been able to download some from Facebook, but I've still lost thousands. And my pages! I have some of them in my gallery here, but they aren't big enough to print. I can try to remake some of them, but I don't have all the photos anymore. So don't put it off! Back that stuff up! I know that in the long run, it's a small loss, and it's such a first-world problem. It's also entirely preventable, so don't let it happen to you!

renatasluis 12-02-2017 09:52 AM

i am backing up my photo's on dvd's, and copied all my scrapkits onto a new hard drive.
having problems with the old one, it didnt start up a few weeks ago. en keeps falling out of order when using it. luckily i didnt lost anything.

karlimarie 12-02-2017 09:53 AM

Allyanne... :crying: :crying: :crying: I feel you! I have shed so many tears over lost photos. I’ve had too many HD failures to count, it took me a LONG time to learn my lesson. But, I invested in Backblaze a few years ago and I haven’t looked back!

tjscraps 12-02-2017 10:48 AM

I'm sorry you lost some of your files, next to one of my loved ones dying that's in my top 10 fears!!!

rach3975 12-02-2017 11:02 AM

I'm so sorry! Thank goodness you'd backed up through September, or I assume this could have been much worse. I'm not nearly good enough at backing up to my EHD, so my online backup has saved me more than once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

stamdl 12-02-2017 12:08 PM

So sad to read this. I've got a "lost" period of photos due to a hard drive failure years back and it still lingers in my mind. I hope you have friends/family that can fill in the gap somewhat with their photos like I did. Now I backup online and to an external drive just in case.

Saar 12-02-2017 12:16 PM

Oh no Allyson. :cry:
I'm so so sorry to read this. :-(

KristinCB 12-02-2017 12:48 PM

I'm SO sorry you lost your stuff!! I am in the process of trying to backup to backblaze but because of my slow internet I fear it will take the rest of the year. (2018. haha)

joelsgirl 12-02-2017 08:52 PM

I feel your pain. My EHD crashed last week. I thought Crashplan had it all backed up, but when I went to restore, it hadn't updated in several months and because of changing to a new computer and my EHD showing up as a different drive, so much stuff was missing. {sob}

But Crashplan is the very best, and they never delete anything, so it was {almost} all there, I just had to click the right box to find it. I am so thankful for Crashplan, but in the future I'm going to be more careful to make sure my EHD is getting backed up regularly!

NeverendingJen 12-02-2017 09:10 PM

Oh no! One of my worst nightmares. I just switched to a new computer and one of the first things I did was set up my Crashplan backup to run again and made sure my EHD backup imported

allyanne 12-02-2017 09:25 PM

Thank you for all your kind words. I am kicking myself, because I did have a really good plan in place to back things up to our ginormous device at home. My husband is an IT guy, so he had it all set up and everything, and I always did it on the first of the month. Well, we moved this summer, and things were disconnected and lost in the new house, and it took forever to get it set up again. I should have been more on the ball. We are looking in to Crashplan again, and you bet I'll be more vigilant from now on! I am trying to make the best of it by focusing on taking 5 bazillion photos of December to make up for it!

joelsgirl 12-02-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allyanne (Post 1062894096)
We are looking in to Crashplan again, and you bet I'll be more vigilant from now on! I am trying to make the best of it by focusing on taking 5 bazillion photos of December to make up for it!

Crashplan is ending their home service next year, and they've advised all of us to find a new back up plan, but obviously it's the best and no one wants to switch!

KateD 12-03-2017 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1062894103)
Crashplan is ending their home service next year, and they've advised all of us to find a new back up plan, but obviously it's the best and no one wants to switch!

I totally agree! I've been dragging my feet making the switch, but I've decided to just pay the extra and switch to their small business plan. Crashplan is by far the best backup service for me.

rach3975 12-03-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateD (Post 1062894146)
I totally agree! I've been dragging my feet making the switch, but I've decided to just pay the extra and switch to their small business plan. Crashplan is by far the best backup service for me.

That's what I did, too. I had a moment of sticker shock when I thought about the price doubling, but after looking into the other options I decided to look at it as "an extra $5 a month," which doesn't sound nearly as bad. So far I've been good about running my EHD backup every week or 2, and I'm trying to stick with it since the Small Business plan won't mail the restore files. That's the one drawback for me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

NeverendingJen 12-03-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1062894103)

i'm just switching to the business version, it's worth the cost to not have to back up everything again. Their customer service has been top notch for me too- twice I've had pretty big issues, and both times I've had quick responses from the team there helping me figure it out, and then continuing to follow up to ensure it was working well days later, etc. (issues were mostly related to the size of my backup because I'm a digital hoarder, lol)