Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Online Storage (again) (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75633)

SeattleSheri 01-02-2014 02:39 AM

Online Storage (again)

I know there have been threads about this in the past (I've actually gone back and read a few), however, I'm interested in discussing it a bit more. I currently rely on several methods to store my files and I'd like to consider something new, so I'm looking for advice.

At the moment, I back up my photos and important files (scrap pages and tiff files) on a monthly basis. This includes saving one copy to an EHD and 2 copies to DVDs. One copy of the DVDs is stored in a safe deposit box. For my scrapbook kits, I only save one copy to my EHD and then delete them off my computer (they have all been used and I rarely access them again). I am considering Backblaze, which will help back up what's on my computer, however, it doesn't solve for the "problem" of what I only store on my EHD. I only plug my EHD in once per month when I'm transitioning all of my files, but I don't always get on every 30 days. I like the $5/month cost. I'm worried that at some point in the not too distant future, CD/DVDs will be obsolete, so I'd rather make a plan now than have to convert everything later.

So, what is your method, why did you choose it and are you happy with it? (and how much does it cost?)

Thanks!

fifilur 01-02-2014 05:38 AM

I got Crashplan a while ago, and I'm so glad I did. My EHD died a couple of days before Christmas and I got pretty much all of it back thanks to Crashplan. It's only $5 a month, totally worth it.

maryinaz 01-02-2014 10:43 AM

I've gone through 3 different plans.

First I had Mozy and had a crash and got it all back beautifully without any trouble. Then they raised their prices too much.

I went with Backblaze and had a horrible experience. Restoration was not easy from online at all and many of my files that I did get restored and downloaded ended up being empty. I'm still finding those. *sigh* If you use Backblaze, just know that if you crash, you will need to buy the EHD from them with all your data - would be much easier, but it IS an expense.

So I switched to Crashplan and went with the family plan so we could back up all our computers. I have not yet done a restore with them, so I can't testify to that. Because IMO, THAT is where you find out what is good and what isn't. They all do the backing up just fine. Family plan is $14 a month.

taracotta7 01-02-2014 10:57 AM

I use backblaze and have been happy with them. I used Moxy in the past and it was horrible customer service and like Mary said, they raised their prices to a ridiculous rate. I have an EHD that all my photos and digital goodies on it that is always plugged in so it is constantly being backed up.

I also back up to a huge second EHD here in our home. This one is attached to our modem and backs up constantly also. I don't do DVD/CD's.

MamaBee 01-02-2014 11:35 AM

Another family that uses Crashplan... we have had it for a while and so far we are happy. We got it mainly because I was horrible at remember to backup my laptop to our buffalo server, which was backed up. So, this has been great for us... we have all the computers in the house on Crashplan (except for the desktop Mac, used for school, nothing important on there)... and I think my mom's laptop is also backed up.

The only thing we have ran in is that there must be a setting on the my laptop that is conflicting with Crashplan... DH has been getting emails that my computer hasn't been connected in the last week, but I'm on my computer multiple times a day. :)

lorryfach 01-02-2014 12:07 PM

CrashPlan does not require you to plug your EHD every 30 days, or on any timeframe at all. If it's connected, it will back up. If it's not, it doesn't. But it doesn't delete what's already backed up no matter how long it takes you to plug it in again.

SeattleSheri 01-02-2014 12:22 PM

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the insight!

Lorry, that is good to know that Crashplan will not delete files after 30 days, that is a major selling point for me!

Penny Springmann 01-02-2014 12:27 PM

We use Crashplan as well. It saved my butt over Christmas because I forgot to load a file on my thumbdrive. I was able to restore just the one file I needed in less than a minute!! :)

kristalund 01-02-2014 12:50 PM

I need to rethink my back up plan in 2014.

rach3975 01-02-2014 01:49 PM

I use an EHD and Backblaze. I run the EHD backup as often as I remember and feel I need to, so anywhere from weekly to monthly. I had a HD crash in the spring and had to restore several weeks worth of data from Backblaze (the rest from my EHD), and I had no trouble downloading the files. In fact, there were things I was able to restore from Backblaze that should have been backed up on my EHD but weren't, primarily folders that included ~ in the name. But it sounds like Crashplan might be better for you if you want your EHD backed up.

Jengerbread88 01-02-2014 02:38 PM

I love Carbonite, but I recognize that it probably would be harder for you with needing EHD protection-- once something is deleted from your computer, it doesn't back it up anymore. I'm pretty certain it'll back up an EHD if you plug it in regularly, but I don't use mine often-- the cloud storage is enough for me.

I'll have to look up the cost, but really, I found it reasonable to pay and plan to keep my Carbonite. At the moment, however, I'm on a free year from them (I'm a blogger, and they gave out a free year to anyone who went to BlogHer last year). They're easy to work with, though, and I've never had any issues with the service. It DOES take quite awhile to do the initial back-up, if you have a ton of files like I do... they can only backup so much at a time.

rachaelsscraps 01-02-2014 03:10 PM

I use Backblaze, and I've had to restore from them. I was downloading a bunch of zips but gave up after a few and just ended up buying the loaded EHD of my files. It was a pretty high cost, but worth it for not wasting my time or being frustrated/stressed over it, imo.
Thank you for this post, that reminds me I need to update my EHD (the same one Backblaze sent me when I crashed a couple years ago... they are editable, and you can add files, or empty it and start over if you want :)

staciahall 01-02-2014 03:54 PM

Another Crashplan user here. I back up to the "Cloud" and to an EHD at my house. I have had to use the restore function and it worked perfectly.

DawnMarch 01-02-2014 05:04 PM

my Backblaze plan ran out a while back and I haven't renewed it so (eek) I am without online backup. I have an extra huge EHD that I back stuff up to about once a month and I backup most photos to DVD eventually. But I need to get another online plan. Sounds like Crashplan is a good one.

A free safeguard is that I have ALL of my photos since about 2004 uploaded to Shutterfly. It's not ideal, obviously, as a backup but at least I know that if something dramatic were to happen to all my other backups that I could always get access to them.

Lizzy257 01-02-2014 05:29 PM

I'm glad you asked Sheri, this is something I really need to look into. I currently back up to two ehds. I was also backing up to dvd until I realised that it wasn't actually writing to the dvd. It went through the process and at the end, I'd get a message saying that it was successfully written to the disc, but then when I tried the disc, there was nothing on it. So I just gave up on dvds!

luckyme 01-02-2014 06:49 PM

I use Backblaze and I like it. I successfully restored to EHD and it was pretty painless. (I also back up to another EHD at my home.)

lorryfach 01-03-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jengerbread88 (Post 1183460)
I'll have to look up the cost, but really, I found it reasonable to pay and plan to keep my Carbonite. At the moment, however, I'm on a free year from them (I'm a blogger, and they gave out a free year to anyone who went to BlogHer last year). They're easy to work with, though, and I've never had any issues with the service. It DOES take quite awhile to do the initial back-up, if you have a ton of files like I do... they can only backup so much at a time.

I had nothing but problems with their support! It was a total nightmare and after more than a *year* my initial backup never finished. And it was less than 250 GB! :thumbdown:

cmkb396 01-05-2014 02:52 PM

Thanks so much for this info! My EHD - where I had stored all my digi kits and lots of pics - crashed on New Year's Day. I have taken it to a computer repair shop in hopes that I can get my stuff back, but I am definitely going to invest in one of these options this year. I figure it can't cost much more than having to have my EHD looked at and hopefully restored!!