Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Speaking of Grandparents... (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87180)

Sherri Tierney 06-22-2017 09:09 PM

Speaking of Grandparents...

So, I read the thread that had been bumped about what everyone calls grandparents. The timing couldn't have been more appropriate...

I'm going to be a grandma!

Now, some of you know that my oldest is not quite 15, so don't freak... some of you also know that I have a 25 year old step-son, but its not him either...

Turns out my husband has a daughter he never knew about! She was the product of a one night stand when he was 18. He was with someone else and so was her mom (he obviously made some less than stellar decisions as a teenager). The girl is now 22 years old (born 3 months after we started dating) and expecting her first child in less than a month.

joelsgirl 06-22-2017 09:44 PM

What a big heart you have to expand your family like this! And exciting to gain a daughter AND a grandchild all at once! Congratulations!

nietis 06-22-2017 10:09 PM

Congratulations, Sherri!

Kiana 06-22-2017 10:14 PM

How exciting. Congrats!!!!

I actually have a similar "step-child" story with my hubby. However, the mom totally knew the child was my hubby's and chose to name another man dad for about 6-7 years, when finally there was a paternity test done. So basically she ruined the lives of the "dad" and his family, the child, and then threw big shock waves through our lives when we found out.

So kudos to you dealing with you on that.

carrie1977 06-22-2017 10:56 PM

Wow! What a crazy story! That must be such a shock to gain a daughter and a grandchild at the same time. Congratulations!

KingsQueen82 06-22-2017 11:11 PM

Wow, that's quite a story! How exciting! Congratulations on your expanding family! <3

jessica31876 06-23-2017 01:19 AM

Congratulations Sherri!! Im so happy for you. Are they close by or far away?

LeeAndra 06-23-2017 07:53 AM

Wow! This is something I've worried abt, too, as my husband was quite the ladies' man in high school & college but so far, so good.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma!

DawnMarch 06-23-2017 10:58 AM

Wow -- that would be quite a surprise! Congratulations!

Sherri Tierney 06-23-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica31876 (Post 1062879793)
Congratulations Sherri!! Im so happy for you. Are they close by or far away?

Right now she is in California. She is active Navy and stationed in SanDiego. Her mother lives in Oklahoma and she will be moving back home when her boyfriend deploys in October. Its about a 5 hour drive from us to where her mom lives, so that's a lot closer than CA. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeAndra (Post 1062879814)
Wow! This is something I've worried abt, too, as my husband was quite the ladies' man in high school & college but so far, so good.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma!

I've known my husband since his freshman year of high school (my sophomore year). We never dated but had classes together throughout the years and became friends my senior year. We kept in touch after I moved away and I recall him telling me in a letter that he changed girlfriends as fast as he did underwear and that he didn't understand why he was so unsettled. Early on, I always halfway wondered if another kid would crop up, but I let go of that thought years ago. I totally NEVER expected it after 22 years of us being together.

MamaBee 06-23-2017 12:23 PM

Wow - that is exciting news... gaining a daughter and a grandchild! Congrats!