Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weird words? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96312)

Kiana 10-07-2022 09:43 AM

Weird words?

So I was sitting here and just kinda lazily thinking about changing my siggy, I thought about just using Photoshop to cover up the "poem" part and that brought the word opaque into my mind

Every time I see or hear the word opaque ...I have to remind myself that it means cover completely - not transparent.
For some reason that word feels to me like it should mean see through. I don't know if it's the pronunciation of it or what but it always throws me off my game and makes me pause. lol

Do any of you have a word or words that do something weird when you see/read or hear them???? :huh:

nietis 10-07-2022 10:13 PM

Reading this reminds me that I want to make a new siggy, just haven't had the will to actually do it haha...

sarahorton 10-08-2022 09:07 AM

LOL! Opaque *is* a really weird word! I totally agree.

tjscraps 10-08-2022 10:03 AM

I don't think I knew that's what opaque meant lol

I've always wondered why 'abbreviation' is such a long word.

LeeAndra 10-08-2022 11:10 AM

I will never understand why "phonetic"... isn't. :blink::blink::blink:

lizziej 10-09-2022 12:42 PM

Cue. Why isn't it "que"?

Kiana 10-09-2022 04:45 PM

these are all very valid ones too ladies.....rofl

Scrap-therapy 10-12-2022 12:14 PM

I don't like the word opaque too, it sounds sharp to me in french, we said o-pack and the "pack" don't make me think of something sweet!:D
I try to think of other words because some really disturbs me, crazy girl I am!:D

angiekey 10-12-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizziej (Post 1063113352)
Cue. Why isn't it "que"?

Lizzie, it's one of those words that sounds like another word but is spelled differently and means something different. An English teacher would come up with the right term; my brain is fried after 2 days of migraine.

"Cue" is to signal something.

"Queue" is group of people lined up for something (noun), or can be used as a verb, as in "queueing up for the show".

So it is, but it isn't. Isn't language fun?

angiekey 10-12-2022 06:35 PM

Transparent versus translucent always trip me up for a moment ... I have to take a second and remember which is which: Translucent means almost but not quite transparent.

I love words. I'm a total Word Nerd. I actually have a list on my phone titled "Delicious Words" where I log especially wonderful words when I come across them as I read so I can look up the precise definition (because so often I know what it means from context, but I don't know precisely what it means) and the correct pronunciation so I can start using them occasionally.

I especially love words or phrases that are French or Latin like au fait (expert, someone with practical knowledge of the thing) or bon mot (a clever remark or witticism) or pars pro toto (a part taken for the whole).

My latest language pet peeve is discrete vs discreet. Someone is discreet when they respect your privacy. Something is discrete if it is separate or distinct. Seeing one mis-used for the other makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Anybody else have language pet peeves?