Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where do you live? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77397)

nesser1981 05-11-2014 09:51 PM

Where do you live?

I know we've done these threads probably a hundred times, but let's do it again.

Where do you currently live?

Where are you from?

lovely1m 05-11-2014 09:52 PM

I live in Fargo. I am from the western side of North Dakota where the famous oil boom is going on.

nesser1981 05-11-2014 09:52 PM

I live in Michigan, just across the Ohio boarder, south of Ann Arbor. June will be 5 years we've lived here.

I'm from Horseshoe Beach, Florida, tiny place on the Gulf coast. I lived there until I was 18 and joined the Air Force.

I also lived in Misawa, Japan, Beale AFB California (Marysville area), Anchorage, Alaska. And training in Arizona and Pensacola.

staciahall 05-11-2014 09:53 PM

Central Florida and Central Florida, not real imaginative, I know. I was born here and live now about 30 minutes from the house I grew up in.

My parents were born here too but both of them live just about an hour north of me with their respective spouses.

carrie1977 05-11-2014 09:55 PM

I've lived in Central Cali my whole life. I don't think I'll ever be anywhere else.

Beebo 05-11-2014 10:07 PM

I live in Huntsville, Alabama, my birth place. I have lived in other places but my heart keeps dragging me back home. The last place I have ever lived in was Chicago. I moved back home in 1972 and haven't lived any place since.

Robin Carlton 05-11-2014 10:11 PM

I've lived in Charlotte, NC since Summer 2012. Lived in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years before that and was born and raised in Southern California prior to that :)

Charlotte is by far my favorite place I've ever lived. I LOVE it here!

nesser1981 05-11-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 1062669795)
I've lived in Charlotte, NC since Summer 2012. Lived in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years before that and was born and raised in Southern California prior to that :)

Charlotte is by far my favorite place I've ever lived. I LOVE it here!

I'd move there in a heartbeat! I've never been, but Sean and I talk about moving to one of the Carolina's or Tennessee someday.

Libby Pritchett 05-11-2014 10:14 PM

I've lived in Wichita, KS since 2010. Although I was born in Cali, I consider Arkansas to be my "home" as that's where my family is and where I spent most of my life before moving to Kansas.

I absolutely love it in Wichita, and while we've talked about moving back "home," I truly can't imagine leaving here anytime soon (unless it's to Charlotte... Robin has made that place sound super appealing!)

flergs 05-11-2014 10:18 PM

I live in Maryborough, Victoria in Australia. Born here and only lived away for a year while doing a course. A small country town but this is where I feel safe and happy. Our family is all within a couple of hours of us too.

Megs xxx
{Using Tapatalk}

misfitinmn 05-11-2014 10:19 PM

I live in Rochester, MN. I was also born here - I moved a few times for college (but still in MN), but my family is my heart and so we settled down here to be near them.

nesser1981 05-11-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett (Post 1062669797)
I've lived in Wichita, KS since 2010. Although I was born in Cali, I consider Arkansas to be my "home" as that's where my family is and where I spent most of my life before moving to Kansas.

I absolutely love it in Wichita, and while we've talked about moving back "home," I truly can't imagine leaving here anytime soon (unless it's to Charlotte... Robin has made that place sound super appealing!)

I think we'd move if we had the opportunity come up. I miss the south like crazy! It's funny, I got out of the Air force to stop moving, but I really missing going to a new place every few years.

Sean's family is from here, this is where he grew up, and I really like it here, it's farm country, so I guess it's as close to the south as I'm gonna get for the time being. ;)

jak 05-11-2014 10:21 PM

I live in Sydney (Australia) - I moved here to go to University after finishing high school and have lived here (in a few different suburbs) ever since, minus time I've spent travelling and living overseas.

'Home' (I still call it that) where I grew up is near a small rural town (I lived on a farm) about 5 hours drive away, in central-western NSW.

rach3975 05-11-2014 10:23 PM

I'm in Virginia, in a suburb of Washington, DC. We moved here in '97, right after I finished college and Dan finished grad school. The one thing I don't like about it is that we're too far from family. I grew up in Connecticut, and my family is still all within an hour of where I grew up. DH works for the government in a job that he can't do anyplace except DC, so we aren't going anywhere.

carriesmom 05-11-2014 10:28 PM

I live on the Arizona/California/Nevada border. Seriously, I can see Nevada from my driveway. I was born in Houston, Texas and then lived in Phoenix from when I was ten until I went to law school in Boston for 3 years. Arizona is my home, I can't imagine living anywhere else. I hated being cold all the time.

Libby Pritchett 05-11-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1062669800)
I think we'd move if we had the opportunity come up. I miss the south like crazy! It's funny, I got out of the Air force to stop moving, but I really missing going to a new place every few years.

Sean's family is from here, this is where he grew up, and I really like it here, it's farm country, so I guess it's as close to the south as I'm gonna get for the time being. ;)

You know, it's interesting you say that about the AF because Jeff's logic for where we live is also based on his 20 years that he served. LOL He spent his entire adult life living wherever the AF said he was living. Since he retired, he would love to just go somewhere random because we can. He's looking for work now that he's finished school, but really, there is nothing keeping us here.

I'd for real LOVE to move to Utah or NC, but we have no family in either of those places (not that we have family here either). If we move away though, I know my family will be CRUSHED if we choose not to move back to AR. I realize that's not the right reason for moving home, but I would never hurt them. So, I feel like it's easier to just stay where we are.

I'm very wishy washy on the whole thing.

nesser1981 05-11-2014 10:45 PM

I feel that way to Libby. Sean's family would hate it. Mine love in Atlanta, so they would love us moving closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraceLee 05-11-2014 11:29 PM

I'm from Hong Kong, the most crowded, city city you can find on earth. I went to college in Hawaii and met my husband (who's Korean) there. After we got married, we stayed in Hong Kong for a few years, with long visits to Korea in between. He's now going to school in Utah so that's where we are now, but it's hard for me to be anywhere that doesn't have 500 restaurants right there outside my doorstep LOL. I'm such a city girl.

hollyxann 05-11-2014 11:47 PM

I am from and live in Ohio. Born and raised.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

britaneejean 05-11-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanthia122 (Post 1062669812)
He's now going to school in Utah so that's where we are now, but it's hard for me to be anywhere that doesn't have 500 restaurants right there outside my doorstep LOL. I'm such a city girl.

i live in Utah too! i was born and raised here. i lived a few years in Las Vegas but home is home. we now live about 30 minutes away from both of our parents (well, one set is living in Ohio for the next 9 months).

DH and i have talked (a lot) about moving out of state if he finds better work and we've both agreed to it. we'd love our kids to have that experience but i also want to know that i'd come back "home" to be close to family...does that make sense?

knlchevys 05-11-2014 11:49 PM

But LIbby you would have a scrapping family here in Utah!!! I'm in a rural town in Northern Utah. Born and raised!

~Cindy~ 05-11-2014 11:52 PM

I am from and live in Phenix City, Alabama. It's maybe 15-20 minutes from Columbus, GA (Ft Benning).

littlekiwi 05-11-2014 11:54 PM

I'm born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand but would love to even spend a year once I have graduated in Vancouver, Canada as I have dual citizenship for Canada but not sure I could live with the snowy winters as I have never experienced it

crystalbella77 05-11-2014 11:57 PM

I live in rural Indiana, about 10 min from where I was born. super exciting huh?!

Traci Reed 05-12-2014 12:00 AM

I live in Lincoln, CA...about 5 miles from the house I grew up at in Rocklin, CA :)

erica zane 05-12-2014 12:14 AM

I'm in Northern Virginia about 30 miles outside Washington, DC...been here pretty much since high school.

Born in California & grew up in a small town in Washington State :)

jovi_girl 05-12-2014 12:19 AM

Im an hour out of Sydney. One suburb over from the house i grew up in. All my family and friends are here, so despite the ridiculous cost of living, I cant see us ever moving very far.

GraceLee 05-12-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britaneejean (Post 1062669816)
i live in Utah too! i was born and raised here. i lived a few years in Las Vegas but home is home. we now live about 30 minutes away from both of our parents (well, one set is living in Ohio for the next 9 months).

DH and i have talked (a lot) about moving out of state if he finds better work and we've both agreed to it. we'd love our kids to have that experience but i also want to know that i'd come back "home" to be close to family...does that make sense?

Definitely. I love that my kids are having this experience of being all over the place... the air and open space do them a lot of good, especially my daughter who has eczema. But I miss home and want to go back too. I probably won't miss home as much if my family and friends aren't there. If my parents were to move to Utah I'd love to make this place my home.

Lyd 05-12-2014 02:10 AM

I live in a small town in Utah about 10 miles north of the town where I grew up. We spent five years in the Philippines when I was in Elementary school, but we lived in the same house before and after that stint overseas.

Hubby and I spent five years in Tucson, AZ before we came back home to Utah.

I love the area where I live. Sometimes I get a little weary of the Utah culture and want to get away, but mostly, I love the mountains, the seasons, and being near my family. We would have to be faced with a pretty amazing opportunity to leave Utah again.

Lyd 05-12-2014 02:11 AM

Oh, and Libby, you should totally move here!!!

Gemma 05-12-2014 02:15 AM

I'm from a town called newcastle in the UK :)

adi&co. 05-12-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britaneejean (Post 1062669816)

I"m from Vegas!! my hubby is from Utah. His mom lives in Orem.

We live in washington now. we move every few years because of the military. washington if the first state that I've actually liked living in for the most part. every other state I've lived in has had some major downsides that I didn't like. I've lived in nevada, utah, cali, kentucky, georgia and now washington.

BrattyMeg 05-12-2014 03:06 AM

Where are your parents Vanessa?

Robin my grandparents moved to Charlotte in December :) I love it up there

nietis 05-12-2014 04:20 AM

I'm was born in Surabaya, East Java, but grew upon Bali until I was 15. I've lived in Shepparton, Australia for 2.5 years then spent 10 years in Liverpool, UK, where I studied studied and studied and where I met hubby. Currently, we are living in Beijing, China, where hubby comes from.
We've been talking about moving and so far, our options include Singapore, Australia and Canada… We'll see….

fifilur 05-12-2014 05:08 AM

I live in southern Sweden, about an hour from Gothenburg. I currently live in my gransparents' old house, 30 minutes from my parents, and 30 minutes fr.o.m. The nearest city Borås.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

flergs 05-12-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nietis (Post 1062669850)
I'm was born in Surabaya, East Java, but grew upon Bali until I was 15. I've lived in Shepparton, Australia for 2.5 years then spent 10 years in Liverpool, UK, where I studied studied and studied and where I met hubby. Currently, we are living in Beijing, China, where hubby comes from.
We've been talking about moving and so far, our options include Singapore, Australia and Canada… We'll see….

I can't believe you lived in Shep. That's so bizarre.

Megs xxx
{Using Tapatalk}

mariewilcox 05-12-2014 06:44 AM

I live in Glenburn, Maine, about 2.5 hours from the town I grew up in (Rangeley, Maine). We are in the process of moving to Bangor, Maine (only about 10 miles away) and will be completely moved in a couple weeks (DD chose Bangor High School for her HS education so we're moving closer - only about 2 miles from the school and it's an actual city so much closer to everything, including my office for when I actually have to go there).

I've lived all over - Japan, Hawaii, Guam, San Diego, Virginia, and South Carolina (Marines) and came back to Maine when DH died to be near both our families.

Kara 05-12-2014 07:40 AM

I'm in MN, about 30 minutes from where I grew up. I spent a year in grad school in Chicago, then moved to Idaho for 6 years, Ecuador for 1 and Seattle for 6 months before coming back home to be near family. The winters are really starting to get to me, but we have to stay here for at least a few more years because of our youngest son's medical needs.

tanyiadeskins 05-12-2014 08:16 AM

I was born in Tampa, FL. Grew up in South Florida in Fort Lauderdale and lived there most of my life. I have also lived in (in order):

Scarborough, Ontario
Erie, Pa
Rock Creek, Oh
Clermont, Fl
Coral Springs, FL
Kew Gardens, NY (Queens)
Kissimmee, FL
Lorton, VA
Stafford, VA

and am currently back in Central Florida in Sanford... home of the moronic George Zimmerman scandal

eta: we move frequently due to dh's job. But thankfully we have been here over 2 years now

Nikki Epperson 05-12-2014 08:25 AM

I live about 5 miles from my childhood home. I'm from Oklahoma. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

kim517 05-12-2014 09:05 AM

A Texas girl until 11 months ago. Grew up in the southeast corner of Texas (Beaumont) but my adult life I've lived in College Station, Houston and Austin. Then, 11 months ago, the move to Florida! And if any of you Central Florida girls want to take me in, I'd be crazy enough to meet up sometime :)

sarahbhb 05-12-2014 09:21 AM

I live in SE Missouri about an hour and a half away from where I grew up in NE Arkansas. In between, I've lived all over the place though. DD is 13 and in her 12th house/apt I think. After so many years of living so far away I'm loving being close to home!

nesser1981 05-12-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat (Post 1062669837)
Where are your parents Vanessa?

Robin my grandparents moved to Charlotte in December :) I love it up there

My mom moved to Stockbridge, Ga in 2011. And all of her family is in the area. I have a few Great Aunts still in Florida, but that's about it.

tanyiadeskins 05-12-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim517 (Post 1062669865)
A Texas girl until 11 months ago. Grew up in the southeast corner of Texas (Beaumont) but my adult life I've lived in College Station, Houston and Austin. Then, 11 months ago, the move to Florida! And if any of you Central Florida girls want to take me in, I'd be crazy enough to meet up sometime :)

Kim, we are doing a Central Fl meetup the 24th, we have a FB group as well you are welcome to join us. I think the 24th is in Tampa and I think Jacinda will be there, if her trip pans out :wub:

NeverendingJen 05-12-2014 10:06 AM

I was born in the Chicago, IL suburbs, but I call Utah home. I'm from a decent sized town about 10-15 minutes from Lydia. Currently, I live in the corner of Texas/Mexico/New Mexico thanks to the army, before this we were IN savannah, GA, Naples, Italy, and then I lived in W Yellowstone, MT as well.

taracotta7 05-12-2014 10:27 AM

I was born in Ft Worth, TX, then moved to a couple places in MO during childhood (Kansas City and Farmington) then moved to Moore, OK when I started jr high. Lived in the OKC metro area since then. Currently in Norman, OK. I would pack up and move to NC in a heart beat though. My hubby isn't as adventurous but I want to BAD!

nietis 05-12-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flergs (Post 1062669854)
I can't believe you lived in Shep. That's so bizarre.

Megs xxx
{Using Tapatalk}

Yep! I went to school at Goulburn Valley Grammar School!
I actually have been wanting to go back to visit...

SeattleSheri 05-12-2014 11:07 AM

I know this will come as a shocker given my screen name, but Seattle, WA :) I've lived in Seattle all but about 5 years (in my teens) of my life.

breakingbrie 05-12-2014 11:11 AM

I'm from north central Ohio :) Currently living in Wa state, about to move to Texas for a while - so not looking forward from the weather change!! I spent a couple months in Tx years ago, but didn't get out much, so I'm looking forward to getting out more this time! I've also lived in Ga twice, but so far, Washington is my fave, and I'd loooove to stay here forever.

marlathrall 05-12-2014 11:37 AM

I like in the Oklahoma panhandle. My mom moved me here when I was seven from the OKC metro and I've lived here ever since, except when I was away at college. Since we farm, I don't see us ever going anywhere.