Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sweet Reads-Book Club (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68921)

maryinaz 12-13-2012 11:14 AM

Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge

So, did you meet or exceed your goal yet?

I have 2 books yet to read to meet my goal of 40 books, and I'll be honest, these last 2 are going to be as short as possible! I had a few periods during the year that I just wasn't reading. I thought 40 would be very easy, but I also read some large books, like 800 page books.

And what was your favorite book of the year? I have to pick 2: Divergent and 11/22/63.

I want to do this again next year! I'll have to think about changing my number though. ;)

*Celeste* 12-13-2012 11:20 AM

i met my goal. should probably set a new one for next year.
i planned on 52 and i've read 59. i will most likely finish one or two more before year end.

I really enjoyed The Tea Rose series from Jennifer Donnelly, Divergent, and The NIght Circus

Lyd 12-13-2012 11:22 AM

I was TERRIBLE this year and didn't read nearly enough, and my goal wasn't even that lofty!! I hope to do better next year.

BrattyMeg 12-13-2012 11:32 AM

I read a ton this year but didn't keep up with goodreads

KristinCB 12-13-2012 11:35 AM

I only just recently picked up reading again this last month or so but didn't have a goodreads challenge.

no secret to many though that I fell insanely in love with the thirteenth tale so i would say that was my fav.

i am reading the invisible bridge now though and it is also so good!

Jenn Barrette 12-13-2012 12:40 PM

Not even close. I read about 1/3 of the books I read last year. :(

kelley 12-13-2012 01:28 PM

I didn't have a goodreads goal (actually didn't even know you could set one LOL), but I haven't read a lot this year. More than a lot of recent years, but still not as much as I would have liked to. I really loved most of what I read, but I'd say I got most obsessed with the fever series.

jovi_girl 12-13-2012 03:21 PM

I didnt have a goodreads goal, but i did ok. would always like to read more and my tbr is huge, but with two very young kids, i'll take what i can get :) I think my book of the year was Divergent too :)

LoriJ 12-13-2012 08:34 PM

I set my goal at 52 and I thought that was pretty high, but I hit that in June so I upped it to 75 and then met that I was trying for 100 but I think I am going to end around 89 or 90ish... depends on how much I read around Christmas. I knew I read fast but I didn't realize how much I read, I only get to read here and there and usually a half an hour or so before bed. I think that keeping up with a goal on goodreads really pushed me along sometimes. I think this year I am going to start with a goal of 100 and see how I get with that!

adrianka 12-14-2012 04:37 AM

I don't set any goals... My great reading discovery of 2012 was Andrea Camilleri, a Sicilian author (he created Commissario Montalbano - there's also a series based on those... but he also writes other stuff). Read everything that was translated and hope to read the originals one day in a far far future. I can't really pick just one book as my fave! It was a lovely 5-month period that I spend reading only him. :-)

Paula 01-01-2013 11:08 AM

Yep, I made my goal! Woo hoo!

Lukasmummy 01-02-2013 02:18 PM

I set my goal as 50 for last year and managed to do 83, but most of mine are audio books so I listen to them as I am doing other things. I usually read e-books or magazines on my phone while I am waiting around for the kids lol. I set my goal at 52 for this year I think one a week sounds doable. Hugs Crystal xx

Aggie Aviso 01-03-2013 02:15 AM

For me Id like to read at least two books a month :) Going slow but steady!

Milmomma 01-03-2013 01:27 PM

I didn't set a goal. But looking at how many I read in the last half a year I'm thinking I should go for 104, that's 2 a week. :) I don't really have a favorite. I like most of what I read. If I don't like it. I simply don't finish it.

Amber1279 01-03-2013 04:59 PM

I read 18 of my goal of 50. I think I was a little too ambitious

DogwoodMama 01-03-2013 07:26 PM

I know I read 50+ books (ummm, maybe 75+ books) but for some reason some don't make it into my Goodreads records either. This year hope to do better with that! And I update goodreads quite often, too!

This year I loved:
--- "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton
--- "The Invisible Bridge"
---got really into Lisa See's books ("Shanghai Girls", etc) b/c I have family living in China
--- read lots of books set in the Charleston, SC area b/c we attended a family wedding there (Karen White; Dorothea Frank Benton)
--ead the entire "Her Royal Spyness" mystery series by Rhys Bowen
---finished off Jacqueline Winspear's "Maise Dobbs" mystery series
---got sucked into Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia's series
---got re-inspired to start cleaning up my diet again once I'm recovered from the flu by reading "It Starts with Food" by Melissa & Dallas Hartwig (Whole 30 folks)
---also read quite a bit of nonfiction, mostly history or biography

Guess I was doing more reading than scrapbooking, looking back!

Phoenix 07-12-2013 01:36 AM

hehe I started this last year and my goal was 300. I failed lol! I think I only got to 220 books but then I got so burnt out from reading that I completely stopped for a half a year lol