Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OMG, I finally get it! (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63257)

LJSDesigns 04-29-2012 04:29 PM

OMG, I finally get it!

When I joined this community one of the first topics I came across was about the book/movie, the Hunger Games. Truthfully, I didn't know much about it, but after reading all the positive reviews of it here, I picked it up about a month ago. Last night I finally started reading it and I couldn't put it down. What a great story and Katniss is such a good character. I loved Peeta and Rue and Gale and Prim and even Haymitch and Cinna. He!!, I loved the book. Now tomorrow I have to go pick up the other two so that I can find out what happens. I'm thinking that eventually they will try to make their way to district 13 and am hoping it is a complete paradise. Thank you all for turning me on to such a great series. Once I finish the books, I am headed to the movie. :)

rach3975 04-29-2012 04:33 PM

Glad you loved it. I usually wait until a series is finished because I hate waiting, but I made the mistake of reading book 1 a few weeks before book 2 came out. It felt like a long wait for Mockingjay!

taracotta7 04-29-2012 04:38 PM

Yeah!!!!! So glad you like it! I loved the series. You will find we are a bunch a book worms around here. SO beware.......we will get you addicted to many books. :) LOL

jovi_girl 04-29-2012 05:12 PM

I always read the books that are reccomended around this place! You girls havent led me astray yet! I loved the hunger games too, i read all three back to back within about a week, which was saying something as i had a very demanding baby attached to me 24/7. I think you'll like the movie. I thought they did a great job at sticking to the book as much as possible, and even tho i knew what was going to happen, i was still glued to the edge of my seat. :thumbup:

Jengerbread88 04-29-2012 05:41 PM

I got bit by the bug, too. I purchased the whole series (the boxed set was available half price at the book fair for the middle school, so I got all 3 for a total of $11). I raced through books one and two, and I'm about halfway through book 3 but life got in the way and it's killing me not to be finished with it, too. I think I'm going to see the movie this week- I devoured the books, one a day.

marlathrall 04-29-2012 05:52 PM

You are stronger than me if you finished the first one without moving to the next. I had to buy them one after another. Read them all three in three days. lol.

I actually convinced my hubby to read them finally this week. He's been reading them while planting corn on the tractor this week.

glumirk 04-29-2012 07:21 PM

I just leant these books to my friend. And if you want another good post-apocalyptic series, DH and I keep staying up too late reading the City of Ember Series.

*Celeste* 04-29-2012 07:32 PM

i'm reading city of ember now. it's ok not as good as the hunger games though.

LJSDesigns 04-29-2012 11:50 PM

Luckily for me, my son works for Better World Books, so tomorrow he will be bringing home books two and three for me. I can't wait to get started on them. I will keep city of ember in mind for a future read. :)

Freckles 04-30-2012 02:09 AM

I know! I finished book 1 in 24 hours. I made a reservation for the 2 other books in the library and they finally arrived last Thursday. I already finished book 2 and have started book 3 in the mean time. I love them. And it's true, it's so hard to put them down! I'll definitely want to see the movie too once I'm finished!

kendallt 04-30-2012 06:55 AM

Yay! Welcome to the club! :p

Aggie Aviso 04-30-2012 07:47 AM

I was a bit late too, you will really love them!

jacinda 04-30-2012 01:26 PM

I haven't read the books, but I saw the movie and loved it. Does the movie cover the first book only, or all 3?

glumirk 04-30-2012 02:32 PM

It covers the first book.

pewtertm 04-30-2012 04:43 PM

City of Ember is good, but the sequels weren't all that great (and Prophet of Yonwood was a huge snooze IMO).

Divergent by Veronica Roth is excellent...and the sequel, Insurgent, is due out this month.

Freckles 04-30-2012 04:52 PM

I just finished the third book tonight... Can't describe how I feel, and I won't try to not spoil anything. But it sure is heavy.

LJSDesigns 04-30-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freckles (Post 977966)
I just finished the third book tonight... Can't describe how I feel, and I won't try to not spoil anything. But it sure is heavy.

Uh oh. I'm not liking the sound of that. My son forgot my books, so I will have to wait to start book 2 until I can get to a store to get them cause he is likely to keep on forgetting. Kids. Some times living out in the middle of no where is a big stinky! :(

Jengerbread88 04-30-2012 05:26 PM

So, not going to lie, I saw the movie today, and it was good, but I don't feel like it measured up to the books.

Maybe it's just hard for me to see the little boy from Zathura as a love interest, though...

d2vasquez 04-30-2012 07:21 PM

Oh I am so glad you loved the book - you will love the series but like someone said above, I am not so sure about the third one....great series though!

LJSDesigns 04-30-2012 08:42 PM

It's settled. Going to the Walmart after work tomorrow to get book two and three. I don't think I can wait any longer than that. :D

rach3975 04-30-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d2vasquez (Post 978021)
Oh I am so glad you loved the book - you will love the series but like someone said above, I am not so sure about the third one....great series though!

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in the 3rd one. But books 1 and 2 are still among my all time favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loriebug66 (Post 977973)
My son forgot my books, so I will have to wait to start book 2 until I can get to a store to get them cause he is likely to keep on forgetting. Kids. Some times living out in the middle of no where is a big stinky! :(

I think you need a Kindle, Lorie!

glumirk 05-01-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freckles (Post 977966)

That's exactly how I felt. I was reading it over 4th of July weekend, though, so I felt very grateful to live when and where I do, no matter how ugly I think the politics are.

LJSDesigns 05-01-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 978085)
I think you need a Kindle, Lorie!

I got my mom a nook for Christmas 2 years ago and even though she doesn't use it, she won't let me have it. She keeps planning to use it. Maybe I will ask for my own for Christmas. :)