Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Instant pot owners (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91814)

Leablahblah 12-25-2019 03:42 PM

Instant pot owners

Hi!

My husband got me an Instant pot for Christmas. There is a slow cooker function. My question is:
Did you get rid of your Crock Pot/slow cooker?
How does it compare to the Crock Pot for that function?

AmieN1 12-25-2019 09:18 PM

I've only had mine for a few months, so I'm not sure what I'll do with my crockpot. I might just keep it so I can have two things going at once?

Not that you asked- but I LOVE my instapot! Rice in under 5 mins is my most favorite. I also just make a one-pot parmesan pasta chicken dish that EVERYONE in my family ate- that's a Christmas miracle! ;)

Neverland Scraps 12-25-2019 10:24 PM

I did not. In fact I don’t care for my IP. My middle on the other hand loves the IP and will take it with her when she leaves the house!
So the crockpot, glad I didn’t get rid of mine because I use it more than the IP!

Neverland Scraps 12-25-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1062982523)
I've only had mine for a few months, so I'm not sure what I'll do with my crockpot. I might just keep it so I can have two things going at once?

Not that you asked- but I LOVE my instapot! Rice in under 5 mins is my most favorite. I also just make a one-pot parmesan pasta chicken dish that EVERYONE in my family ate- that's a Christmas miracle! ;)

How do you get rice done in 5 minutes? Mine is 10 minutes.

What’s your recipe for one pot parm chicken?

craftytam 12-25-2019 10:28 PM

I didn't have a crock pot when I got my Instant Pot. I've since bought a crock pot, too. So, I would say keep both :)

kristalund 12-25-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Recipe please :)
I got one for Cmas too!!

bcgal00 12-26-2019 01:39 AM

I kept my crockpot. I love my IP. So far everything has turned out great. Best tenderloin I ever made!

tanyiadeskins 12-26-2019 11:40 AM

I don't have an instapot, but I do have 4 crockpots. No joke. I seem to buy one every black Friday when they are 20 bucks. I have two regular black and silver ones, one pretty and flowery Pioneer Woman one, and one smaller one for dips. But that being said there have been plenty of big family holidays or cookouts, etc that I could throw dishes in a crockpot to cook and stay hot and not have ten different things on burners so I will use multiple. So my vote is keep it! :thumbup:

LJSDesigns 12-26-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins (Post 1062982554)
I don't have an instapot, but I do have 4 crockpots. No joke. I seem to buy one every black Friday when they are 20 bucks. I have two regular black and silver ones, one pretty and flowery Pioneer Woman one, and one smaller one for dips. But that being said there have been plenty of big family holidays or cookouts, etc that I could throw dishes in a crockpot to cook and stay hot and not have ten different things on burners so I will use multiple. So my vote is keep it! :thumbup:

I have four too and use them all, so I agree on keeping it.

3BluEyedBabi 12-26-2019 01:14 PM

My parents just bought me an instant pot for Christmas! I haven't used it yet, but I will keep my 3 crockpots!

AmieN1 12-26-2019 01:22 PM

Here's the recipe- I used cubed up half frozen chicken & an entire box of rotini pasta and it still worked perfectly!
https://www.eatwell101.com/instant-p...n-pasta-recipe

I'm in an instapot group on fb where there are a lot of recipes posted! I've done a REALLY good pork tenderloin as well as a requested again by my family pulled pork roast! I am loving this little machine!

For rice- I use jasmine rice, 1 cup with 1 cup of chicken broth. Pressure cook on high for 4 mins & natural release for 1 min, then quick release. Stir in a tablespoon of butter & put lid back on for keep warm function. Turns out great... maybe it's elevation related Wendy?

HeatherH 12-26-2019 01:28 PM

I've had my Instant Pot for about a year and a half and I love, love, love it and use it often! But I did keep my 2 crock pots as well. There are some things (Chicken mostly) that I prefer in the crock pot as it seems to be more tender in the crock pot.

MamaBee 12-26-2019 03:42 PM

I love my instant pot for something things and my slow cookers for others.

wendyp 12-26-2019 05:17 PM

I just recieved one (a slowcooker) with Christmas and can't wait to try out.

carrie1977 12-26-2019 06:12 PM

We've only used our IP twice. We've had it for a few years now.

I prefer the slow cooker. The IP scares me. lol

Neverland Scraps 12-26-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1062982566)
Here's the recipe- I used cubed up half frozen chicken & an entire box of rotini pasta and it still worked perfectly!
https://www.eatwell101.com/instant-p...n-pasta-recipe

I'm in an instapot group on fb where there are a lot of recipes posted! I've done a REALLY good pork tenderloin as well as a requested again by my family pulled pork roast! I am loving this little machine!

For rice- I use jasmine rice, 1 cup with 1 cup of chicken broth. Pressure cook on high for 4 mins & natural release for 1 min, then quick release. Stir in a tablespoon of butter & put lid back on for keep warm function. Turns out great... maybe it's elevation related Wendy?

I'm back down at sea level. I have a Rice function on my IP and it's 10 minutes, that's after it comes to pressure. Now the only thing I can think of is because mine is old (going on 2.5 years), the newer ones are more advanced with their cooking/timing?

Neverland Scraps 12-26-2019 07:24 PM

Interesting, I looked it up and it's saying:
Add wet rice, water, oil, and salt to your Instant Pot and stir once to combine. Lock lid and set the steam valve to “sealing” position. Press the “rice” button or set on manual for 5 minutes. When the timer goes off, let rice sit for 10 minutes, then quick release pressure.

My rice button is 10 minutes and my IP never calls for oil when making rice. Maybe that's the downfall--you use oil because it's quicker cooking? I don't know. Interesting. Maybe getting a new IP in the future is something for me???

AmieN1 12-26-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062982579)
I'm back down at sea level. I have a Rice function on my IP and it's 10 minutes, that's after it comes to pressure. Now the only thing I can think of is because mine is old (going on 2.5 years), the newer ones are more advanced with their cooking/timing?

I never use the rice function... takes too long... ;) I just use manual for almost everything- except saute- I use before manual for meats! lol!

Leablahblah 12-26-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Can you share the recipe?? I’ll be pinning away to a new Instant Pot board soon!
I’m looking forward to the brown rice cooking. Which I never did because it takes too long.

Edit: Nevermind! I saw you shared the recipe already!

I’m so excited now that a lot of you like the Instant Pot.
My husband won’t be happy when I tell him I’m keeping the crockpot too! Haha

Can you tell me the name of the Facebook group that shares recipes for Instant Pot please?

AmieN1 12-27-2019 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leablahblah (Post 1062982590)
Can you share the recipe?? I’ll be pinning away to a new Instant Pot board soon!
I’m looking forward to the brown rice cooking. Which I never did because it takes too long.

Edit: Nevermind! I saw you shared the recipe already!

I’m so excited now that a lot of you like the Instant Pot.
My husband won’t be happy when I tell him I’m keeping the crockpot too! Haha

Can you tell me the name of the Facebook group that shares recipes for Instant Pot please?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

It's super crazy right now since so many people are new with their Christmas Instapots! ;)

Leablahblah 12-27-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1062982600)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

It's super crazy right now since so many people are new with their Christmas Instapots! ;)

Haha I can’t imagine!!:p

laurabobaura 12-28-2019 01:35 AM

I think I'll keep both (just got an instant pot for christmas from MIL) but I for sure need a bigger kitchen. :P

Leablahblah 12-28-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurabobaura (Post 1062982643)
I think I'll keep both (just got an instant pot for christmas from MIL) but I for sure need a bigger kitchen. :P

I do too! lol the idea was to put the Instant Pot in place of the Crock Pot in my cabinets. Now I have nowhere to put it and my counter space is already cluttered.

abm234 12-28-2019 05:57 PM

LOVE my IP. Use it all the time. But definitely keep your crockpot. Sometimes you'll want to use both.

StacyLynn 12-29-2019 09:50 AM

I love my IP, but kept all my crock pots. (I have 3 big, one old and one mini - that I use for heating baby bottles).

I have not used the slow cooker function on the IP. I love cooking frozen chicken cause I'm horrible at planning dinner ahead of time. The FB group has lots of super helpful people, and pinterest has lots of great recipes.

Neverland Scraps 12-30-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurabobaura (Post 1062982643)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leablahblah (Post 1062982674)
I do too! lol the idea was to put the Instant Pot in place of the Crock Pot in my cabinets. Now I have nowhere to put it and my counter space is already cluttered.

Me, three!!
You can't fit two people in our kitchen it is so small. We took cabinet doors off because our things are too wide for our cabinets. :thumbdown:

bands321 12-31-2019 10:52 AM

I love mine! Some of my favorites are Wendy’s copycat chili, gumbo & red beans & rice (although i cook my rice separately) This year I added the Instant Vortex Plus and with those two appliances, I almost never use my oven. We just made turkey burgers and sweet potato fries last night in 15 minutes. They were so crispy. My son loves to use the Vortex for his cinnamon rolls. Super quick and easy.

Leablahblah 12-31-2019 02:57 PM

I had to look that Vortex. Looks really cool all the things it can do!

kristalund 12-31-2019 04:23 PM

I am trying my first IP dish for NYE party-
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/9d/bd/e9/9...5629b0ccdf.jpg
https://www.adventuresofanurse.com/w...tions/52/print

AmieN1 12-31-2019 05:56 PM

Yum Krista! That looks amazing!

Yesterday in the instapot- I made:

*hard boiled eggs (6) with the 5-5-5 method & they turned out SO perfect- and super easy to peel

*salmon & rice: salmon was 5 oz frozen fillets (I cooked 3 of them on the trivet), 1 cup of water, salt/pepper/paprika on salmon & a splash of soy sauce for 4 minutes with a 5 minute natural pressure release- perfectly done! Then the rice afterwards how I make it in the previous post.

On Sunday I made a big batch of rolled oats with apples- SO good! I'll have to find that recipe since I can't remember it off the top of my head.

LOVE my instapot! :D

kristalund 01-01-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1062982954)

It was delicious BUT
Might cook it longer next time b/c there was a small chunk of frozen spinach left
I didn't use all the parmesan cheese the recipe asked for
May increase chicken broth

kristalund 01-01-2020 09:59 AM

Also want to add-
That it was super easy to use and I can't wait to make something else!

Leablahblah 01-01-2020 03:12 PM

Artichoke dip! Yum!

I made soft boiled eggs and they were awesome!
4 eggs on the rack with 2 cups of water. 3 min on low pressure and quick release. Ice bath. Perfect!

lorigaud 01-11-2020 11:42 AM

I need to experiment with mine more.... but I LOVE making hard boiled eggs in it. So easy to peel!

lizziej 01-11-2020 07:33 PM

I ALMOST got an IP for Christmas, but because I have a small kitchen like some of you, hubby says I have to figure out where I am going to store it OR what I can eliminate off my counters to keep it there. After reading about all these delicious recipes, I need to get rid of some things so I can get one.

Leablahblah 01-12-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizziej (Post 1062984117)
I ALMOST got an IP for Christmas, but because I have a small kitchen like some of you, hubby says I have to figure out where I am going to store it OR what I can eliminate off my counters to keep it there. After reading about all these delicious recipes, I need to get rid of some things so I can get one.

How cruel of your husband! Lol

lizziej 01-12-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leablahblah (Post 1062984141)
How cruel of your husband! Lol

LOL!! I actually agree with him. :D I have A LOT of decluttering to do everywhere in my house.

hollyxann 01-12-2020 10:16 AM

I got a Ninja Foodi for Christmas which is a pressure cooker (basically an Instant pot), an air fryer, slow cooker, can sear/saute, bake, steam and dehydrate all in one. So far I love it!

I have a regular air fryer, 2 crockpots and my toaster oven and I refuse to get rid of any of them lol. For new years I used my crockpot, the air fryer and the foodi...so they are all essential lol

I really need to experiment more with my foodi though.

keepscrappin 02-10-2022 05:55 PM

I have 3 crockpots, 2 instant pots and 1 air fryer. We got the air fryer for Christmas so have been using it the most lately.

I found this thread because I was looking for instant pot recipes and thought I had seen a link here in the forum a week or so ago, but now I can't find it. Please point me in the right direction if you know of some good sites with instant pot recipes. I need a quick dinner tonight and don't know what to make.

HavaDrPepper 02-10-2022 06:39 PM

I never got the hang of the instant pot so I donated it. But the air fryer... love it! I don't have enough space between the bottom of my cupboards and the counter for any of these appliances to sit out all the time. But I have one spot on another counter space and the air fryer resides has resided there since May of last year. Before that, it was the crock pot. I did get a small air fryer because it is only me so for some things I still use the crock pot.

Kimberly27 02-10-2022 09:51 PM

I have 2 instapots and love mine...most of the time. LOL I use it to make mashed potatoes, chili, taco pasta, Cookie dough cheesecake!

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/instant-pot-chili/ (I use ground turkey and I put red kidney beans and black beans in ours)

Taco Pasta is a favorite of my kids. I add black beans and extra tomatoes and sauce.

The Cookie dough cheesecake I have made a dozen or so times now and hubby asks for it for every occasion. I have altered it a touch for our likes. Once I have it in the pan I put chunks of cookie down down in the cake as well. I only put the ganache on half of the cheesecake bc hubby isn't a huge fan of all the chocolate

Leablahblah 02-11-2022 11:55 AM

I make this butter chicken the most

keepscrappin 02-11-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly27 (Post 1063085509)
I have 2 instapots and love mine...most of the time. LOL I use it to make mashed potatoes, chili, taco pasta, Cookie dough cheesecake!

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/instant-pot-chili/ (I use ground turkey and I put red kidney beans and black beans in ours)

Taco Pasta is a favorite of my kids. I add black beans and extra tomatoes and sauce.

The Cookie dough cheesecake I have made a dozen or so times now and hubby asks for it for every occasion. I have altered it a touch for our likes. Once I have it in the pan I put chunks of cookie down down in the cake as well. I only put the ganache on half of the cheesecake bc hubby isn't a huge fan of all the chocolate

That cookie dough cheesecake looks ah-mazing! I think I'm gonna have to add a springform pan to my list of must haves!