Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NSBR: LDS Baptism Gift? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54702)

origami 06-22-2011 04:29 PM

NSBR: LDS Baptism Gift?

My good friend has invited us to her son's baptism. We are not LDS but of course we're honored to be invited to this special day for their son. In our own church, we baptize infants, but of course that is not LDS tradition and so their son who is being baptized is in his early teens. I'd love to know what an appropriate small gift might be that we could bring. We know the focus should be on the sacrament that he is receiving that day, but we'd still like to bring a small gift. All of the stores in our area are either Catholic or evangelical, not LDS. Ideas?

origami

Megan Turnidge 06-22-2011 04:34 PM

I don't know if it is customary for baby baptisms for other churches to bring a gift, but at least in my experience it is not expected that you bring a gift for a LDS baptism. When I was baptized I got a few gifts from grandparents and my parents, but not from the rest of the guests. But if you want to bring something that is GREAT and so sweet and thoughtful of you! :) You could check out Deseret Book online... they sell books, art, and lots of other stuff for LDS folks. Something like one of the CTR rings would be a great gift and I noticed they have ones for guys in titanium and very inexpensive.

Jengerbread88 06-22-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mturnidge (Post 836125)
Something like one of the CTR rings would be a great gift and I noticed they have ones for guys in titanium and very inexpensive.

I was going to say... my old roommate used to be LDS (she left the church in college) and her favorite gift was her CTR ring. I know a LOT of her male friends in the church wear/wore those, as well. Constantly.

Victoria Feemster 06-23-2011 01:20 AM

I would suggest a CTR ring as well

dmogs 06-23-2011 10:36 AM

A CTR ring is a great idea, but if you are looking for something you can pick up locally and not have to wait to arrive from an online order (I don't know what your time frame is) I have given the following before: Journal, A candy bar with a congratulations note, tie and or tie tack. All are small gifts that were appreciated! I hope that helps! :)

Giseli Freitas 06-23-2011 12:00 PM

The girls said what I would suggest: a tie, a CTR ring...
Also, if you'd like to bring a card with your gift, I can totally make an art for you to print. I have a lot of LDS related images, scrapbook kits, etc. Just lemme know. :)
xoxo

knlchevys 06-23-2011 12:08 PM

I've given this. Kids that age LOVE gum
http://scrapmatters.com/gallery3/ori...ipture-Gum.jpg

scrapmommaof3 06-24-2011 11:46 AM

journals are really good gifts too. both of my boys got them at baptism and still write in them.

Lyd 08-20-2012 11:42 AM

The other girls have given you great ideas. It's so sweet of you to want to give a gift. I'm sure whatever you choose to do, it will be very much appreciated.

origami 08-20-2012 12:31 PM

Wow, that is an old thread! Update! I ended up creating a little scrapbook page for him and putting it in a small frame. I tried to make sure that it included words and phrases specifically having to do with his own faith, so I tried to educate myself on what baptism means in the LDS tradition. We felt very honored to be invited.

Lyd 08-20-2012 12:34 PM

Haha. I didn't even realize how old this was. That reply above me bumped it. Wonder if that's even legit. Lol.

BrattyMeg 08-20-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltarbox (Post 1026445)
Wonder if that's even legit. Lol.

nope was spam lol I deleted it