Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   There is hope! (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92750)

KimGeling 06-06-2020 04:01 AM

There is hope!

Hi everyone, I just thought I would share my latest scary experience with you and let you know that there is hope for crashed hard drives.

Yesterday I spent a heap of time sorting my thousands of photos on my computer and transferring them to an external drive (I have all images on other drives and off site but am trying to get them all sorted and in one place). Last night, just before I checked out to go to bed, my dog jumped near my laptop and unplugged the EHD without ejecting it. I plugged it back in again and... nothing... nothing... nothing. I was horrified and went to bed feeling ill at the hours of lost work I'd put in.

Fast forward to this morning and I decided to google data recovery and realised that there was help and a chance I could retrieve data from the dead HD. I downloaded a free trial which right away showed that it could read the drive so I paid the US$79 for the recovery. Not only have I been able to save the files (which don't appear to be nicely sorted any more) but it appears to have 'fixed' the non-responsive drive!

I'm now transferring all the data to a new EHD but boy am I relieved. I just wanted to let you all know that all is not necessarily lost if you find yourself in a similar position.

JoCee 06-06-2020 05:08 AM

yay so happy for you Kim. I will keep this in mind just in case... hope all well over in WA xx

biancka 06-06-2020 05:40 AM

That's great news !! may I ask the name of the software ? It's always good information to have, just in case.

KimGeling 06-06-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biancka (Post 1063009019)
That's great news !! may I ask the name of the software ? It's always good information to have, just in case.

I used Stellar Data Recovery. The recommendation came from the MacWorld website but the software has a windows version too. The old drive still seems to be fine tonight so I'm very impressed and glad I made the investment!

KimGeling 06-06-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoCee (Post 1063009018)
yay so happy for you Kim. I will keep this in mind just in case... hope all well over in WA xx

Thank you, yes all is good here even though we don't have a long weekend :thumbdown: We did get to go to our favourite restaurant for lunch today and that totally made my week!

Kiana 06-06-2020 07:48 AM

How awesome. Thanks for sharing the site too!!!

LynnZant 06-06-2020 10:00 AM

Hurray for happy endings! Glad you were able to save it.

icindi 06-06-2020 10:34 AM

So glad you were able to recover everything! Bummer about the time lost but the important thing is that the memories are not lost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcgal00 06-06-2020 12:10 PM

This is good to hear. I have a few failed EHD's and it might be worth the money to see if anything is salvageable on them.

Neverland Scraps 06-06-2020 03:06 PM

Wow that's awesome that you fixed it, but terrible that you had to go through that first! I'm glad you were able to fix the drive and get your photos back!!!

rach3975 06-06-2020 05:11 PM

So glad to hear you were lucky! I'm sorry about the wasted time. Hopefully organizing goes faster the second time around.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nietis 06-06-2020 11:12 PM

So relieved for you, Kim!

nesser1981 06-06-2020 11:19 PM

I had the same luck with this program a few months back. http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimGeling (Post 1063009014)
Hi everyone, I just thought I would share my latest scary experience with you and let you know that there is hope for crashed hard drives.

Yesterday I spent a heap of time sorting my thousands of photos on my computer and transferring them to an external drive (I have all images on other drives and off site but am trying to get them all sorted and in one place). Last night, just before I checked out to go to bed, my dog jumped near my laptop and unplugged the EHD without ejecting it. I plugged it back in again and... nothing... nothing... nothing. I was horrified and went to bed feeling ill at the hours of lost work I'd put in.

Fast forward to this morning and I decided to google data recovery and realised that there was help and a chance I could retrieve data from the dead HD. I downloaded a free trial which right away showed that it could read the drive so I paid the US$79 for the recovery. Not only have I been able to save the files (which don't appear to be nicely sorted any more) but it appears to have 'fixed' the non-responsive drive!

I'm now transferring all the data to a new EHD but boy am I relieved. I just wanted to let you all know that all is not necessarily lost if you find yourself in a similar position.

aussiegirl 06-06-2020 11:21 PM

Yay! Glad you were able to recover everything! Good to know for future references too!

craftytam 06-08-2020 02:26 PM

That is so scary! I'm so glad that you were able to retrieve your photos!! I'm definitely keeping this information...just in case.

stephc777 06-08-2020 02:48 PM

That is great news! Definitely keeping this info on file. I keep all my digi stuff & pictures backed up on multiple EHDs instead of the cloud, so may need it some day.

MegCreations 06-09-2020 04:08 PM

yay! So happy for you!