Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do your friends know you digiscrap? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17504)

SeattleSheri 10-22-2008 07:40 PM

Do your friends know you digiscrap?

This is probably been discussed before, so humor me because I must have missed the post. Do most of your real-life friends and/or extended family know you digiscrap? If so, what do they think about it? Do you show them your work?

ColleenSwerb 10-22-2008 07:42 PM

My friends and family all know that I scrap and digi scrap, etc.
My mom paper scraps, so she gets it.

Pretty much, no one else does. I've showed my friends and they're just like "oh that's nice". Jordan is useless and tells me I make useless crap. Etc etc.

Whatever though, I do what I want :)

SeattleSheri 10-22-2008 07:45 PM

Good for your Col! I do what I want too! I'm never shy about telling people. If I'm at work, I'll even pull up one of my galleries. Surprisingly, even some of the men I work with seem interested. I've gotten mixed reviews from friends. Some think it's cool, others give me the same courtesy reply "that's nice".

ditzyscrap 10-22-2008 07:47 PM

Yep, my friends all know and most of them are scrappers in their own way so they get it (except they don't get why I'd do it on the computer, but at least they aren't as judgemental as some people can be). My best friend doesn't really have an interest in scrapping or digi scrapping, but she's really supportive and whenever she sees something I've done she tells me how amazing it is, etc, lol. So, even though she doesn't "get" it, she knows it's important to me and makes me feel good about it. KWIM?

Trev actually likes what I do, and my parents do to. Actually, the only family members that don't like what I do is my brother, and he's young so he just doesn't "get it" at all, lol.

Leila 10-22-2008 07:50 PM

They know, and reap the benefits of it quite often, especially if they have daughters! :D Most of them really don't give a flying fig about it unless I've made a page for them. A couple are intrigued but cry laziness or "too many kids, too little time." DH completely encourages me because he wants me out of his hair so he can have the remote to himself. :D

Only my mother has issues with it. She says it's useless and a waste of time and good photographs. Ok, whatevs. I sense jealousy. :D

meems 10-22-2008 07:50 PM

hmm, most do since I have forced them to look at my shutterfly books. Once a friend and I were at the mall and I forced her to go to the Apple store so I could get online and show her the SSD staff page :D :o.

I don't think my non-digi friends are quite aware of HOW addicted I am though. And a lot of them give the "that's nice" reply.

Sarah8914 10-22-2008 07:53 PM

All of my family knows and they all think it's awesome.

A ton of my friends know and some have shown interest--but a handful are afraid of missing the "3D" with paper scrapping. And one I totally convinced but she has thousands of dollars worth of paper supplies she can't rationalize not using (although I'm sure she's still collecting!).

Leila 10-22-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah8914 (Post 271658)
All of my family knows and they all think it's awesome.

A ton of my friends know and some have shown interest--but a handful are afraid of missing the "3D" with paper scrapping. And one I totally convinced but she has thousands of dollars worth of paper supplies she can't rationalize not using (although I'm sure she's still collecting!).

Just throw hybrid at her. She'll get to use her supplies AND digi scrap. :D

ColleenSwerb 10-22-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leila (Post 271660)
Just throw hybrid at her. She'll get to use her supplies AND digi scrap. :D

Totally! That's what I'm like now! LOL

scrappychic 10-22-2008 08:04 PM

tHEY DO (oops) they do...a lot of ppl i know paper scrap and i try to talk them into digi but they like to "feel" things. a friend just installed my PSE in her new laptop so hopefully she'll stop in soon. I send links to my pages if I feel like my family will appreciate looking at a page I just made, but it's not something I do after every page.

junebug 10-22-2008 08:05 PM

DH doesn't really care much, though once in awhile i'll catch him watching me, lol. my mom knows and i show her. but i don't think she is that impressed; not that she doesn't care, its just that i've alway been creative in one way or another, so she's not surprised, lol. she likes my pages and love to see new pics of the kids.

Tracyfish 10-22-2008 08:09 PM

Most of my friends do because they've seen my LOs on my blog or my Shutterfly books. DH thinks it's just a hobby, but doesn't really itch to see the LOs KWIM.

I made a scrapbook for my volunteer group's president last year with pics I had taken all year of various projects. They were all pretty impressed by it and it won 2nd place at the state level (would have one first but it didn't have a Table of Contents...that's a bunch of crap rule...who puts a TOC in a scrapbook?). Anyway, now the state level ladies want me to do a workshop on it. Like they can learn it in an hour BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

DawnMarch 10-22-2008 08:09 PM

My friends and family all know that I digiscrap. I've been paper scrapping with a group of friends for years now, and this was the first year I just brought my laptop to our scrap weekend. They all like the hands-on aspect of paper scrapbooking, but they were sure intrigued that I didn't have to lug all that stuff!

heatherdumas 10-22-2008 08:16 PM

My immediate family (hubby and kids) are well aware. They know it is my obsession. My oldest child climbs in bed with me on Saturday mornings to see the new releases and try to guess what I bought.
My mother has some idea of what I do, but little interest.
My friends have heard me talk, a few have checked out my gallery. But for the most part, they are just being polite. Sometimes I try to talk about something funny Lizzy said and they look at me like I have 5 heads. Or I say I wastalking to Chels and they are like "who?" Sometimes I think I like my digi friends more than my real life friends.
The important thing is that my kids love my pages, and my husband loves that I am happy. I get to have all this fun without ever leaving my house or making a mess. :o

amystoffel 10-22-2008 08:20 PM

They all know, though I've had to explain to most of them in GREAT detail how it's done, because it's like they thought everything is pre-made! But I'm always forwarding stuff to my mom, and to the mommies of my neices that I make LO's of.

newfiemountiewife 10-22-2008 08:23 PM

Most of mine know I suppose, but I don't send them gallery links, make them books, or do hybrid stuff for them. DH says "that's nice" when I show him a LO, which is fine. I just do it for me, no one else.

breakingbrie 10-22-2008 08:23 PM

Me and my sis used to be big into paper scrapping. 2 yrs ago for mothers day, we put together a 6x6 scrapbook for our mom using older pics from when us kids were little all the way up to pics of all us kids with our own kids. Then we all wrote little notes to her inside the cover-lol, she cried when we gave it to her.
My sis has seen someof my digi layouts, and she does like them, but I don't think she'd be too interested in doing digi herself. My mom hasn't seen any of my digi yet(she always liked my paper scrapping though). I hope she likes it, because I printed up 30 los for her that I'm putting in an album for her birthday next month.... lol, I'm hoping she'll appreciate it as much as she did the paper scrapped album.
Dh never really paid much attention(I thought) until I printed my first batch. He was really impressed, and actually wants me to frame some for the wall! THAT makes me feel good!

nesser1981 10-22-2008 08:24 PM

My husband loves my pages. I have all mine printed in Shutterfly books and he looks at all of them. My mom loves them, she's not a scrapper at all, but thinks they're great. My MIL is a paper scrapper and she thinks they're amazing, although she'd never switch because she has too much invested in paper scrapping.

My friends here in Alaska know I do it, my best friend here, Amber (amber76), she also does it. I got her hooked on it actually.

NettieB 10-22-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherdumas (Post 271687)
....my husband loves that I am happy. I get to have all this fun without ever leaving my house or making a mess. :o

Heather! Mind meld! Love that I can play with digi glitter and do not have to vaccum! and no piles and piles of paper scrap stuff to keep sorted.

Friends are somewhat aware, but immediate family all knows. Nana and my MIL are amazingly supportive. My MIL bought me a GC to SSD, Brundage's Book (not here yet), and is gifting me her Mac soon. They like to see everything in hard copy though.

Megan Turnidge 10-22-2008 08:40 PM

Well, my closest friends know because they check my blog... I have actually converted like 3 friends in the past 6 months without even asking them... they just loved my pages and thought it was so darn cool that they did research on their own and switched. :w00t: I still have like 6 or 7 people who keep asking me to help them learn and want to switch... I might even be starting a digi scrapping group at church. :thumbup:

My family thinks it's really cool too. My mom and Dad loooooooooove getting little mini albums or photobooks. The last book I sent my Dad he took to work and showed his coworkers and toted it to Utah when he visited family there. :) My Grandparents loved the books I sent them and my Grandma nearly cried over it. lol

DH doesn't really look at my pages on the computer, but he does like seeing them printed. He likes to see all my hybrids. He even came home and saw my Frankenbucket and actually said it was "cute"... lol. I love my family. :wub: They all think I'm amazingly creative. :D

Teresa 10-22-2008 08:43 PM

My family (including Jay) love that I digiscrap and actually "get it".

My friends...well, most I just don't share that part of my life with because I've gotten the "oh, that's nice" or "do you still do all that computer stuff?" or the "gosh, I wish I had all that extra time on my hands"-type comment. I mostly stick to sharing with online friends instead. :)

Mama-to-Elle 10-22-2008 08:50 PM

Everyone knows i do it, but no one gets it... :glare:
I just get the oh "thats nice" reply.. I wish they just got it, cause people understand paper scrapping, whats the diff??

Dottie 10-22-2008 08:55 PM

My husband loves that I digiscrap. He is always excited about seeing a new layout, or just to watch. My family knows, my sis gets it and has dabbled in it, but the rest of the family think it is nice. My MIL loves it!

My neighbour also digiscraps off and on, so she gets it. Friends know as well. One friend has tried to get me to come over to the darkside - paperscapping - but I hold firm. I like my ctrl-z too much.:wub:

Nikki Epperson 10-22-2008 08:59 PM

My friends know, but they don't get it.

stayawake 10-22-2008 09:46 PM

My family knows I do 'computer stuff' but they don't understand it at all... I have given mini albums, and all sorts of hybrid things to them though. They don't understand where I get stuff from, or how it works. My real life friends don't understnad the difference between what I do, and dropping photos into a pre-made book on shutterfly. So I don't bother discussing it with them. :)

digideb 10-22-2008 09:51 PM

Most people I know, know that I digiscrap! They all think I rock & I LOVE it!!! :) I've had people offer to pay me to scrap for them!

Winter Ivy 10-22-2008 10:08 PM

My friends and family know, lol, they all get to look at my stuff because I post all my LO's on facebook. They never leave me comments though :mad: , but when I see them IRL they say they liked this or that page. My DH is moderately interested in what I have been learning because he makes signs for a living and is interested in graphic design & digital photography, so he knows what goes into learning the programs, etc... so he gets on board with trying to get LO's printed out. So that is nice, plus I can talk to him about it and his eyes don't glaze over. I have been teaching him how to use Photoshop (he doesn't do a lot with rastor images) and he has been helping me learn Illustrator. So we are two peas in a pod I guess. :wub:

He is also always thinking of "hybrid" type projects (like a cute sign he made for our DD's door) and he is always like "do you think you could come up with something for such & such with any of your digiscrap stuff?" For example, he wants to detail DD's power wheels with sweet shop stuff :D :D :D The only problem with that is that it is about to be winter here and there isn't much time left for her to use it this year. But maybe we can have it ready for spring. :D

-Diana

scarletsierra 10-22-2008 10:16 PM

Everyone knows I digiscrap. DH is supportive, he knows how much I love it and he loves to see my pages. :) But I'd say most everyone "don't get it". They see my page and like them, but they don't know "get" how amazing the community is, the whole CT thing, or how I could spend so much time scrapping, etc.

momtutu 10-22-2008 10:17 PM

Several of my friends know and my family knows. I've been so excited about doing it that I'm trying to get everyone involved. Most people just say..."oh, that's too hard, I could never do that" or "I'm not smart enough on the computer". They don't know what they're missing!!

AmyM 10-22-2008 10:20 PM

They know I "scrap" and "do some stuff on the computer". They just think I'm a nerd who loves pictures. That's fine with me, and true. :D

Tracie Stroud 10-22-2008 10:22 PM

Yep, mine all do, and they love it. In fact, all my friends have been asking me to help them get started!

LibbysMommy 10-22-2008 10:29 PM

Pretty much everyone I know knows that I digi-scrap. They think it's awesome and love the pages I do. Most people though claim that they're not creative enough to do it, so I can't seem to get them to try it.

rach3975 10-22-2008 10:34 PM

My friends have seen and asked about birthday invitations, things I've done as room parent for DS's class, and my calendar. So they know, but they have no idea how obsessed I am and I don't talk to them about scrapping or show them my pages.

My family loves looking through the scrapbooks and marvels about how talented I am, how I should start a business scrapping for others, etc. (It makes me feel good, but clearly they have no realistic frame of reference, LOL.) But again, it isn't something I talk to them about, and I don't show them LOs as I finish them. They just see the completed books every year or so and don't ask about it in between.

No one I know even paper scraps--I wish I had some friends IRL who were into scrapping that I could talk about it with or crop with.

mrs_jb 10-22-2008 11:47 PM

My mom and my DH know that I scrap and whatever other family reads my blog. I don't know that they really "get it" though, LOL!

HeatherKS 10-23-2008 01:04 AM

Dh knows and "gets it." He's learning all about CT's and that there are designers out there that get paid to do all the stuff I love to do. :p And I have one good friend who is an awesome paper scrapper that is starting to dabble in digiscrapping too. She doesn't care how I scrap as long as I'm game to come on scrapping weekends with her! :)

Other than that, no one knows or really cares. I've talked about it to my mom & sister but they don't have any interest really. My mom loves the desktops I send her each month and likes to look at LO's I show her but that's pretty much it. She has no real idea how much time I put into it.

Sharon Kay 10-23-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleSheri (Post 271634)
This is probably been discussed before, so humor me because I must have missed the post. Do most of your real-life friends and/or extended family know you digiscrap? If so, what do they think about it? Do you show them your work?

ROTFLMTEO on this question...very few people DON'T know that I digiscrap...I carry my laptop almost everywhere I go! Basketball practice, robotics meetings, bowling league, in the van, on a trip, at mil's house, at my mom's house, at my sister's house. ...only the people at the grocery store don't know I think... GMBO :w00t:

Tonight I brought my robotics layouts to the meeting because my paper cutters were all THERE and I didn't have any way to trim my layouts before I put them in my son's scrapbook...I got asked if it would be okay to display his scrapbook in our competition booth this weekend!!! Well our robotic designers will have people seeing their kits this weekend! lol

crystalbella77 10-23-2008 01:08 AM

Nope not really..I have made a few things for my mom and sis and was just like "Oh how cute." Thy think scrapping is a waste of time.

pbumbaca 10-23-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 (Post 271638)
My friends and family all know that I scrap and digi scrap, etc. My mom paper scraps, so she gets it.

Pretty much, no one else does. I've showed my friends and they're just like "oh that's nice". Jordan is useless and tells me I make useless crap. Etc etc.

Whatever though, I do what I want :)

Dang, I can just substitute DH & Boys for Jordan here!

ColleenSwerb 10-23-2008 08:41 AM

LOL Pam!! You know that super cute groceries notebook I made? (It's in my galelery) I put it in the drawer where Jordan keeps the small craptastic pad of paper that he takes shopping with him. He refuses to stop using the little pad until it runs out of paper, and that the cute notebook I made is weird and unnecessary.

He's been putting up new blinds in the bedroom, and started the ones by my craft space last night. He said "You have TOO MUCH CRAP" no less than 9805434 times. I said "You play video games, I craft."

There are days when I want to smack him. :p

LeeAndra 10-23-2008 08:45 AM

I would say most of the people I encounter on a regular basis know that I love pictures and scrapbook/do something on the computer with them. I post most of my pages in albums on Facebook, so anyone on my Friends list can peruse them at their leisure, and there are a handful of ladies who do so regularly and leave me comments here and there.

My mom makes very plain and simple paper scrapbooks of my nephew, so she understands and appreciates the scrapping concept, but knows next to nothing about computers and has no idea what it takes to make the pages I make or has any interest in learning how or understanding more about digital scrapping specifically.

Jeff is similarly computer-challenged and doesn't understand how anyone could sit still for so long/be on the computer for so long as a hobby *lol*, but enjoys having his life chronicled and really digs the layouts once they've been printed into a book. I usually get a passing 'That's nice' if I'm just showing him a page on my lappy, but he's really good abt making and being a part of photo opportunities. He went on his son's field trip last Friday and took my camera along, at my request, and got SO MANY pictures while they were there. He took at least one shot at every different activity they participated in and even took some landscape pictures of the farm and pumpkin patch. I was so impressed and happy.

My BFF is not particularly creative or crafty, so she doesn't understand, either, but she's always up for a silly picture and usually comments on my pages on Facebook if they are of something we did together or a nice picture of Jeff and me. She is still really young, though, just married and a couple years away from babies, so I may change her mind yet once she has a cute lil' baby to scrap.

Stacey42 10-23-2008 08:53 AM

My friends & family know I scrap and they seem to like & appreciate it.

I have one friend who occasionally digi scraps, but she's usually too busywith knitting.

mommy2aria06 10-23-2008 08:58 AM

They know but are totally clueless and don't get why its exciting and fun for me

MelissaL88 10-23-2008 06:59 PM

My friends and family know. Dan thinks it's awesome - he's always asking to see what I've done lately. The boys are interested only if the LO is about them LOL! My Mom & my MIL both appreciate the LO's I do for them and they get it - although neither scrap. My SIL's are the ones that don't get it - I get a lot of "where do you find the time?" or "that's nice", so I don't talk that much about it in front of them.

I have converted my BFF to digi-scrapping (she never did anything crafty before). Now a second really close friend wants to learn - so I'm going to teach her what I can! That makes it all worth it - Dan's support and two of my closest friends being interested.

Paula 10-23-2008 09:23 PM

Yep, everyone I know is aware that I digiscrap.

sugarink 10-23-2008 11:42 PM

I think everyone I know, knows what I do but, I don't think it really interests them enough to keep up with my work. I sometimes wish I had someone else close by who also shares the same passion with me, but unfortunately not. :( I guess that's what makes meeting people all over the digi community wonderful! :D