Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does Santa bring 1 gift or all of them? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69113)

nesser1981 12-22-2012 09:29 PM

Does Santa bring 1 gift or all of them?

How does it work at your house?

nesser1981 12-22-2012 09:33 PM

Santa always brought everything at our house except for the gifts from other relatives, so thats how we do it with our kids. We buy them pj's and give them those on Christmas eve.

Jennilyn 12-22-2012 09:35 PM

We give a few from us, but most of the gifts and stockings are from Santa.

[michele] 12-22-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1072694)
Santa always brought everything at our house except for the gifts from other relatives, so thats how we do it with our kids. We buy them pj's and give them those on Christmas eve.

Same here.

taracotta7 12-22-2012 09:53 PM

He does stockings and one gift. I am greedy though........I don't let Santa take credit for the big stuff. LOL

mariewilcox 12-22-2012 09:58 PM

In our house Santa has always filled the stockings and left 2 gifts. When DS was young DH and I decided on this because we didn't want them to think that Santa could bring tons of stuff, especially when they got older and wanted pricier things... Santa has so many kids to give presents to that we didn't want our kids to be greedy and ask for a lot of things or ask for expensive things "because he's Santa and Santa can bring anything!" (My cousin ran into this with her kids so I took a cue from her - LOL). It has been a good thing because I could tell Cheyanne during a lean year that she would get her couple gifts from Santa but that mommy couldn't afford to give much and she was always good with that.

nesser1981 12-22-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taracotta7 (Post 1072701)
He does stockings and one gift. I am greedy though........I don't let Santa take credit for the big stuff. LOL

Lol, DH asked mw, when do we get credit for this stuff, lol! Its the first year he has had to put anything together.

carriesmom 12-22-2012 10:22 PM

Santa brings one gift and the stockings. DH and I had the argument about whether Santa should bring the big gift and we were going to have him bring Leapster but my girls decided two weeks ago they wanted Santa to bring them a different toy, so that is what Santa is bringing.

emmasmommy 12-22-2012 10:31 PM

santa just brings one (or two) gifts. we buy everything else...and stockings are us also.

NeverendingJen 12-22-2012 10:34 PM

stockings are santa, one or two small gifts as well, but mostly just stockings. everything else is from us

Jenn Barrette 12-22-2012 10:36 PM

This year we decided that Santa would only bring 1 gift and do stockings. We used to have Santa bring most of the gifts...but decided we wanted the credit. LOL

KristinCB 12-22-2012 10:39 PM

one gift and the stockings :)

mummytothree 12-22-2012 10:40 PM

I voted ALL but it's not quite true! We buy the kids pajamas and slippers for Christmas Eve. Then the last few years we have been getting the kids 1 or 2 gifts from us for Christmas day. Usually a group gift for all the kids/whole family. This year it's the Wii U!! :thumbup:

Libby Pritchett 12-22-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmasmommy (Post 1072709)
santa just brings one (or two) gifts. we buy everything else...and stockings are us also.

this is how I always did for Kendra, too.

Not sure yet what we'll do for Chloe. Stockings are always us, and Santa will prob bring 1 or 2 things for her. I don't want her to think that Santa will just bring her as much as she wants. Plus, while I want the magic of Santa to be fun, I don't want to put all the focus on Santa either. We really want to focus on Jesus and just let the Santa thing be a fun little aside, AND I don't want to give Santa all the credit for the good gifts either. LOL

misfitinmn 12-22-2012 10:49 PM

We do Christmas weird.

*I* buy one Santa gift for each child, whatever he has asked Santa for (obviously my 18 month old is not yet asking Santa for specific things so he got what I thought he would like) - Ben has grown to ask for just whatever thing he wants the MOST from Santa.

Santa comes on Christmas eve to my grandma's house where we all are - so sometimes other Santas bring presents for the boys, too. But that's where they get the Santa presents that I got them. And then Christmas morning Santa comes to our house and fills our stockings.

YepBrook 12-22-2012 10:51 PM

Santa brings one unwrapped gift and the stockings. But.... We scaled back on gifts this year and I kind of feel like Santa is wrapping this year. Or just filling the stockings.. not sure. We aren't big into Santa and the kids don't seem to care either way. ;)

Lyd 12-22-2012 10:52 PM

We have an ambiguous relationship with Santa here at our house. So, I don't even know how to answer this question. Our kids just get presents. Who it is exactly that "gifts" them? . . . I may have to ask the kids this year and see what they say. Lol.

MamaBee 12-22-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltarbox (Post 1072726)
We have an ambiguous relationship with Santa here at our house. So, I don't even know how to answer this question. Our kids just get presents. Who it is exactly that "gifts" them? . . . I may have to ask the kids this year and see what they say. Lol.

This is kind of us too... we open our gifts on christmas eve... and the stockings come on Christmas Day and usually a toy or two... so I guess that would be Santa. This year the "big" gift is his swing set that is sitting out in the back yard that he got this fall... I ain't wrapping that... haha :D

Darcy Baldwin 12-22-2012 10:57 PM

Only stockings - Mom and Dad do the gifts :)

Shawna 12-22-2012 11:07 PM

Santa brings one unwrapped gift (usually the one thing they really really want) and fills their stockings.

nun69 12-23-2012 12:04 AM

We do exactly what you guys do Vanessa :) and it has been a tradition for 7+ years that my mil buys all the grandkids pj's and a small gift and that is what they open on Christmas eve :)

LibbysMommy 12-23-2012 12:34 AM

This year it's just the stockings that Santa is doing...that was the only way it could really work with the gifts that my girls are getting. In the past it has been stockings and one big present.

Julie Billingsley 12-23-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

exactly! :)

kim21673 12-23-2012 12:42 AM

We have never really discussed it with the boys......DH and I just had this conversation as we were wrapping stuff tonight. This is the first year that WE are actually giving the boys a present....we want the credit for their iPads!!!! LOL

In the past, it was just thought that Santa brought everything but we had to give him $$$ to pay for some of the things. I guess I will have to ask the boys and see what they say!!

Traci Reed 12-23-2012 01:13 AM

Stockings/1 pressie they asked him for

MandaT 12-23-2012 01:39 AM

Usually stockings and a gift for each kid and a family gift.

And he doesn't get to bring the coolest gifts. ;)

nikkiARNGwife 12-23-2012 07:31 AM

The kids open one gift from us on Christmas Eve...Santa brings the big haul Christmas morning..that's just how it was done by my parents and wouldn't feel right to me if we did it any other way.

Tracyfish 12-23-2012 07:43 AM

The older L.J. gets the less Santa brings and the more we give him. Everything from Santa is unwrapped and ours are wrapped. He's getting 4 things from Santa this year. One bigger thing and a few littles.

Stacey42 12-23-2012 08:17 AM

Santa does the stockings and 1 or 2 gifts. They are in his own wrapping paper.

Mom & Dad are lazy & the rest of the gifts come in the same cloth bags year after year. :)

LeeAndra 12-23-2012 09:39 AM

Santa does one present and stockings at our house. I think we've told my SS in the past that we also put some things in the stockings, too, but I can't remember.

HOWEVER, 'Santa' insists on bringing several presents to my parents' house for DD even though 'he' knows I would prefer 'he' didn't + a stocking + several presents from Grandma and Grandpa. :p

mummyd 12-23-2012 09:46 AM

Santa brings the kiddies a stocking filled with sweetie and a couple of small nic nac toys and fruit etc, xmas eve santas elf comes and brings the children a new pair of xmas PJ's and a xmas story to be read at bedtime, the rest of the pressies are from us and family

kscwgirl 12-23-2012 10:33 AM

Santa brings one requested gift and one item for their stockings. Rest is us, including the big gift.

NatalieKW 12-23-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Exactly this!

Lizzy257 12-23-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Exactly the same here!

Sherri Tierney 12-23-2012 01:12 PM

At our house, Santa brings 3 gifts for the kids because baby Jesus got 3 gifts when he was born. It is our way of combining the magic and fun of Santa with the story of Jesus' birth. Anyway, Santa also fills the stockings for the kids. We fill the stockings for the adults.

Santa doesn't bring anything expensive. The kids' Santa wish lists are typically items that cost $5-$30. He does bring stuff that Mom and Dad won't bring though. He got my daughter a LaLaLoopsy a few years back, for example, and I think they are UGLY so I refused to buy one. Santa came through though.

For us, it isn't that we want 'credit' for the big (expensive) stuff, it is that we want to ensure our kids Santa gifts each year are similar. If the kids get something expensive, it's because Mom and Dad can afford more that year... simple as that. Growing up we had very little and several times we were adopted by various families or given toys from Toys for Tots. I remember one of my brothers crying one year because he didn't get very much from Santa and had gotten quite a bit the year before. He asked if he was bad this year. It broke my heart. I was old enough at that point to understand what was going on and I swore my kids would NEVER feel that way. From early on we wanted to start a tradition we can, for sure, stick with every year regardless of the economy and our financial constraints.

It works out well though. The kids always love what Santa brings and they are thrilled because these are things they know we wouldn't buy them, so they feel like they are getting one over on Mom and Dad. Then they get the gifts from us and get to be surprised all over again. :)

Andrea Gourley 12-23-2012 01:34 PM

Santa Claus always brought everything (apart from gifts from other family members) when I was little and this is what I will do if I have a child.

kelley 12-23-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

I'm like Tara - I don't want him getting credit for the stuff I get the kids LOL! I'd rather not do santa at all, but Chris insists on it. So I fill the stocking and set out a couple things from him.

pewtertm 12-23-2012 03:03 PM

None of the above...he brings her one gift. The rest is from mommy and daddy.

pewtertm 12-23-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney (Post 1072839)
I remember one of my brothers crying one year because he didn't get very much from Santa and had gotten quite a bit the year before. He asked if he was bad this year. It broke my heart. I was old enough at that point to understand what was going on and I swore my kids would NEVER feel that way. From early on we wanted to start a tradition we can, for sure, stick with every year regardless of the economy and our financial constraints.

That's one of my big issues with the Santa thing...we try to help others at Christmas, and at church and dance we have adopt-a-child programs. When she hears that if someone doesn't help the families, the children will have no gifts...then does that mean that those poor kids have been bad? I hate that the Santa thing ties a child's behavior with what they get, because I would NEVER want my kid to come to the conclusion that we are helping kids get gifts because Santa won't bring them anything.

LJSDesigns 12-23-2012 06:21 PM

In our house, Santa always brought just one gift.

Now that my son is grown, I want to go to the four gifts a piece idea; something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read. I hate to say it, but it seems silly for me to be buying a lot of presents for the adults that make up my family. They can all buy anything they want at any given time, just like me. I didn't ask for a thing for Christmas because I really can't think of one thing I want.

I wanted to exchange names this year, but my brother balked at only buying one gift for one person. He always goes all out at Christmas time, bless his heart.

maryinaz 12-23-2012 10:23 PM

We never had a rule on how many gifts Santa brought, it was just certain things that the boys asked Santa to bring. And stockings were definitely always Santa. I didn't mind sharing the credit with Santa...we get all of it now, like it or not. :/

jaylensmom 12-23-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

This is sort of how we do it...We do buy some gifts but Santa brings most of them and he brings all the big gifts...I figure eventually we'll get all the credit :p

chastml 12-23-2012 10:56 PM

Santa brings 1 gift for each of the children. It doesn't even have to be a big gift, just something they asked him for. We've never discussed who the stockings were from, but the children insist it's Santa who fills all of them.

Their Daddy got nothing in his stocking last year, so they were convinced he was bad! This year, my 6yo bought something to put in her Daddy's stocking because she doesn't think he's been bad and wants to make sure he gets something. :)

Sarah8914 12-24-2012 10:26 AM

Santa only fills the stockings... and not with anything super expensive or anything. I actually have a hard time with Santa so this is a really good way for me to help him exist but not too much. We don't talk up Santa much at all (but they know from school, friends, etc). Santa was huge in our house and brought tons and we loved it, but it doesn't come as naturally for me.

clearskies 12-24-2012 02:58 PM

He fills the stockings and brings one gift the kids have requested.

lovely1m 12-25-2012 11:09 AM

He brings whatever big gift nick asks for and stocking stuffers.

ETA, I didn't mean big as in expensive, but big as in what he asked Santa to give him. This year it was a Dino Lego set and a toy Santa, elf and reindeer.

Amber1279 12-25-2012 01:34 PM

We do the 4 gifts from us (want/need/wear/read) usually the most expensive is the want. Santa brings one unwrapped gift that is always something hard to wrap - a bike, a couch, a kitchen set, ect. He also fills the kids stockings.