Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hybrid Chatter (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   A Sweet Mail Exchange (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73015)

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 10:20 AM

A Sweet Mail Exchange

There's something so wonderful about the experience of sending and receiving handmade letters in the post. With all the different ways we can communicate, snail mail is a rarity. And, like photographic film, it'd likely be rendered obsolete, were it not for the sheer joy one gets from the experience.

I, myself, am so inspired by the beautiful examples of handcrafted letters and packages shared by people who have started mail exchanges. In fact, a few of us here at SSD will be exchanging our own letters at the end of the month and you're welcome to join us!

To participate in the Sweet Mail Exchange, just fill out your information in my contact book here and I'll match you up with another fellow paper lover. If you miss the July Sweet Mail Exchange, don't worry, August is just around the corner. Each month, is a whole new exchange with new snail mail buddies.

I hope you're as excited about this project as I am! Already my head is filling with ways I can translate my digi-stash into cute snail mail! I'll be sure to post some of these ideas in our gallery and here in the forum to help get you started.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to send me a PM or email me at analogpaper@gmail.com

Happy crafting ladies!!

Q&A:

Q: When is the mailing deadline?
A: Ideally, your pen pal should receive their letter during the first week of the month, but we understand transit times differ . . . maybe shoot your pen pal a PM to let them know their snail mail is on the way :)

Q: What should I include in my snail mail?
A: Try to keep everything letter sized, but other than that, the sky's the limit . . . anything that inspires you creatively :)

More suggestions/inspiration:

Any other links you guys want to add? Let me know and I'll update this thread :)

jumbbumble 06-04-2013 10:23 AM

oooh i love snailmail send mine in

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 10:41 AM

:D Got it Melanie . . . just sent you and email!
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumbbumble (Post 1130403)
oooh i love snailmail send mine in

Traci Reed 06-04-2013 03:09 PM

I sent mine in! Exciting!

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traci Reed (Post 1130447)
I sent mine in! Exciting!

Got it and sent you and email! I'm so excited you'll be playing along this month Traci:D I love looking at all your Project Life pages!!

Traci Reed 06-04-2013 04:21 PM

:wub:

dailydwellin 06-04-2013 04:36 PM

I love this idea!!! I'm signing up right now. :)

christellevandyk 06-04-2013 04:39 PM

Ooh I also LOVE snail mail! I just have no idea what type of mail we should send in an exchange like this?

NeverendingJen 06-04-2013 04:46 PM

I'm in!!

webseitler 06-04-2013 04:49 PM

Ooo, fun! I can use some of the things I've designed for the paper world. ::squee::

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christellevandyk (Post 1130468)
Ooh I also LOVE snail mail! I just have no idea what type of mail we should send in an exchange like this?

Yay! So excited you guys are on board :)

Christelle - I'll try to post something this week with ideas to help get you started, but in the meantime, I have a pinterest board with stuff currently inspiring me and The Happy Mail Project is suuuuper cute

NeverendingJen 06-04-2013 05:21 PM

Do we have any suggestions on things to add? Mailing deadline? (though not sure I will mail mine, might have to blackmail my partner into meeting for lunch instead lol)

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 05:28 PM

Ideally, your pen pal would receive their letter the first week of July :) I would also limit your snail mail to something letter sized, but other than that, I would do anything that you think is fun and that inspires you!

Natascha 06-04-2013 05:38 PM

Just sent mine :) What a great idea!!

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1130480)
Do we have any suggestions on things to add? Mailing deadline? (though not sure I will mail mine, might have to blackmail my partner into meeting for lunch instead lol)

LOL the lunch thing didn't register at first . . . maybe this is kismet?

Glad you'll be playing along Natascha :)

dailydwellin 06-04-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1130480)

I don't think blackmail would be required. :)

NeverendingJen 06-04-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydwellin (Post 1130485)
I don't think blackmail would be required. :)

neither do I, but it was amusing to suggest! after all, I am bribing you to drive all the way to my house this weekend with promises of yummy treats

mpatry 06-04-2013 08:00 PM

Just so you know timing mail to arrive at a certain time is hard when your mailing internationally... I just sent a pkg to Spain and I was told it could take 2 months... my letters going to Portugal and the Philippines could take a couple weeks, up to a month to get there.

Another letter I sent a month ago to Spain got there in a week... international mail is REALLY unpredictable... lol.

Can't wait to get started :)

mpatry 06-04-2013 08:09 PM

Here's my Pinterest Mailart board if you're looking for ideas. :)

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info Monique!! Glad to have you on board!

all6kings 06-04-2013 08:28 PM

Yea!

I added my contact info. What a fun thing to look forward to!

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all6kings (Post 1130517)
I added my contact info. What a fun thing to look forward to!

Yes I just got it Carmen :D and I sent you an email!

misfitinmn 06-04-2013 09:46 PM

Alright, I'm gonna give it a shot! I don't know what I'll do, but we'll see. :)

AnalogPaper 06-04-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfitinmn (Post 1130548)
Alright, I'm gonna give it a shot! I don't know what I'll do, but we'll see. :)

Yup! Just got it :)

calinat 06-05-2013 12:21 AM

sooo in!

I'm in. This is exciting. I already know exactly what I'm sending :-)
Thanks for starting this. I've been inspired to send some happy mail to family in Canada. Facebook is just not personal enough even if it does provide instant gratification. :w00t:

tanyiadeskins 06-05-2013 09:25 AM

I have penpalled for years and love keeping the art of snail mail alive. I am busy this month, but I will definitely look for it next time!

jumbbumble 06-05-2013 10:07 AM

whaha how fun i am on swap-bot and my partner for this mail 2 :) and i just have send here a package from a swap lol it.s a small world

AnalogPaper 06-05-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumbbumble (Post 1130654)
whaha how fun i am on swap-bot and my partner for this mail 2 :) and i just have send here a package from a swap lol it.s a small world

That's too funny!

Natalia and Sara--Glad to have to you guys on board :)

Mari Koegelenberg 06-05-2013 11:23 AM

ok added my details...loooove happy mail! ;)

AnalogPaper 06-05-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari Koegelenberg (Post 1130682)
ok added my details...loooove happy mail! ;)

So awesome Mari!! Just sent you an email :)

AnalogPaper 06-05-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins (Post 1130640)
I have penpalled for years and love keeping the art of snail mail alive. I am busy this month, but I will definitely look for it next time!

That's great Tanya :)

heathergw 06-05-2013 01:25 PM

just added my info... so very excited!!!

AnalogPaper 06-05-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathergw (Post 1130709)
just added my info... so very excited!!!

I'm so excited to see what you make Heather--did I ever tell you how much I love that white and brown LO you made with the feather?

christellevandyk 06-06-2013 02:59 AM

:w00t: I'm in, added my details. I'll mail mine as soon as possible, but I really can't guarantee the delivery time from South Africa. :o

kim517 06-08-2013 01:47 PM

We're in the process of moving and my 4-year-old daughter's friends from preschool are all talking about writing letters and sending pictures they've colored to each other (they are so sweet and we are so sad to leave them). I was just thinking because of that "what happened to getting anything FUN in the mail?" All I get is bills and advertisements. So although I'm frankly nervous that my offering of happy mail may not be as awesome as some of yours, I'd love to give it a try. It would be a fun project that my daughter would get into too :)

AnalogPaper 06-08-2013 02:58 PM

Awesome! I'm so glad you decided to play along Kim :) I just sent you an email . . .

I'm also going to post images of some of my own snail mail (a parcel to my cousin) in the forum later today. I love how it turned out and most of it is comprised of bits of ephemera and my digi-stash . . . really easy and fun to put together! And I think definitely think this project would be so much fun with your daughter . . . I'm going to see my nieces and nephews at the end of the month and I'm so excited to get crafty with them!!!

mpatry 06-10-2013 05:52 PM

On Swapbot when they do swaps that aren't through the "system" but done through a forum like this they have a thread for Sent/Received to help people keep track of when their partner(s) send/receive.

Just posting to say I got mine in the mail today for jumbbumble <3

jumbbumble 06-11-2013 04:21 AM

oooh exciting yours is going on the mail tomorrow or thursday monique :) whe had a weekend at the beach so it took me some more day,s but i am almost finished

mpatry 06-11-2013 11:52 AM

I blogged about a few tips/tricks for doing mail art along with a little inspiration if anyone wants to check it out!

http://kristincbdesigns.com/archives/2982

AnalogPaper 06-11-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpatry (Post 1132050)
I blogged about a few tips/tricks for doing mail art along with a little inspiration if anyone wants to check it out!

http://kristincbdesigns.com/archives/2982

Yay! I'll definitely check it out Monique! Here is mine

kaycee__ 06-12-2013 03:37 AM

sign me up too!! Just found your blog the other day and I fell in love!!! I've been seeing all this happy mail going around and I was gonna start my own little thing here in Canada amongst my scrapbook friends and family, but never really got around to it. I am definitely inspired by your post!!

mpatry 06-12-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogPaper (Post 1132187)
Yay! I'll definitely check it out Monique! Here is mine

Already checked it out! :thumbup:

christellevandyk 06-13-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim517 (Post 1131548)
So although I'm frankly nervous that my offering of happy mail may not be as awesome as some of yours, I'd love to give it a try.

Kim, we're in this together! This will also be my first attempt at anything happy-mail related, so it should be interesting at least! :o

jumbbumble 06-13-2013 09:51 AM

https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/812/img2557h.jpg

I got my happy mail today from mpatry :) it has traveld really fast and i whas really happy with it !!
She is on swapbot just like me and took the time to read my profile , she found out i love to cook and had put in some awesome home made scrapbooked recipe cards such a good idea ! i need to make those from my favoriete recipe,s ....some disney stickers for in my disney smashbook !! and i am in love with fairy,s she put''s in 2 awesome cards of them ... and then the envelope so girlie and sweet i just loved everything ... sorry the photo is not really sharp !!!

Thanx you sweety !!!

AnalogPaper 06-13-2013 09:54 AM

Aww yes that envelope is super cute :) :)

cyranoscrap 06-15-2013 02:33 AM

I LOVE this idea and had heard about it elsewhere, but didn't know of any groups that were doing it. I wanna play!

caroline1989 06-15-2013 04:08 AM

I added myself too. I think the idea is really great!

Andrea Gourley 06-15-2013 04:25 AM

Please can I play? Long time no see in the sweet shoppe but my job is finally settling down and I've got a little more time on my hands now.

zakirahzakaria 06-15-2013 06:10 AM

What a fun idea! I'd love to join but I'm in Malaysia...mails would take longer to arrive. Maybe 1-2 weeks? Is it ok?

AnalogPaper 06-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea Gourley (Post 1133200)
Please can I play? Long time no see in the sweet shoppe but my job is finally settling down and I've got a little more time on my hands now.

Of course!! So excited you're joining in and just sent you an email :)