Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coconut Oil users - give me your ideas (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77470)

julifish 05-19-2014 11:22 AM

Coconut Oil users - give me your ideas

I decided to give coconut oil a try for skin based yeast infections I tend to get once it gets hot (sorry, if that's TMI). Now that I have a honkin' big jar of coconut oil what else can I use it for? I tried using it to scramble eggs today and didn't notice a taste difference until the last bite, there was a tad bit of coconut flavor, but not bad. I'm just wondering what else I can use this for...

glumirk 05-19-2014 11:24 AM

We've been enjoying it in pancakes and waffles. Just melt it before mixing.

julifish 05-19-2014 11:26 AM

Megan -
I live in Florida and my coconut oil is liquid. We don't keep our house cooler than 77 in the summer. Is it okay that it's liquid in the container? It says not to refrigerate, but I wasn't sure because it was solid at the store, but liquid here.

Darcy Baldwin 05-19-2014 11:32 AM

It's fine for it to be in liquid form. If you refrigerate it, it will go back to a solid state.

I use it to make our deodorant, we do oil pulling (a teeth and gum cleansing regime), use it for lotion, use it to help my rough patches on my feet, use it to cook with in everything. It has a million uses:

http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

Jenn Barrette 05-19-2014 11:35 AM

For the skin infections, add a little tea tree oil to the coconut, it definitely helps.

For extra coconut oil, I use it for an all over moisturiser and for cooking. These biscuits are yum - http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/v...-oil-biscuits/

adrianka 05-19-2014 12:50 PM

It's a great eye make-up remover. :-)

I once used it for my hair, but had to de-grease it with a dish detergent after, because no amount of shampoo could do the trick. :-) I did get compliments on my hair that day, but there's no telling if it was the oil or the detergent. :-D

GraceLee 05-19-2014 04:28 PM

Coconut oil is great if you use it to dilute essential oils. As mentioned above, tea tree oil is really good for the skin. I use it to de-tangle my kids' hair also.

julifish 05-19-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianka (Post 1062671545)
It's a great eye make-up remover. :-)

I once used it for my hair, but had to de-grease it with a dish detergent after, because no amount of shampoo could do the trick. :-) I did get compliments on my hair that day, but there's no telling if it was the oil or the detergent. :-D

I was wondering about using it as a conditioning treatment. I have pretty fine hair - I'd be worried I'd have the same issue as you. Will have to try on a weekend when I'd have more than one day to wash it out if needed. LOL on the no telling if it was the oil or the detergent.

Also, I have read different blogs about what you can use coconut oil for - but knowing what really works and what people I "know" use it for (that works) is much better for me. I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to trying new things.

Jjriward 05-19-2014 06:51 PM

It's great as a moisturizer, oil pulling, eat a tbsp of it a day - it has a ton of health benefits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sherri Tierney 05-19-2014 10:24 PM

I use it for just about everything... oil pulling, deodorant, moisturizer, cooking with it, scalp treatment, for sunburns, etc. It works well for anything that needs lubrication too. ;)

adrianka 05-20-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julifish (Post 1062671603)
I was wondering about using it as a conditioning treatment. I have pretty fine hair - I'd be worried I'd have the same issue as you. Will have to try on a weekend when I'd have more than one day to wash it out if needed. LOL on the no telling if it was the oil or the detergent.

Yup, very fine hair here as well. :-)

annet83 05-20-2014 05:04 AM

Mix it with some oats, some peanutbutter, honey and peanuts to make your own peanut-bars in the fridge :)

dana 05-20-2014 06:18 AM

i use it for all of the above (although i haven't tried oil pulling yet - i want to :) ) ... i also like to use sugar rubs in the shower so i use it for that (along with raw sugar and essential oils). just using it as my main moisturizer (body and face) uses up a ton LOL!

KateD 05-20-2014 07:47 AM

I use coconut oil for tons of things, although I hardly ever cook with it! I use it to season my wooden cutting boards & cast iron cookware. I also use it for a moisturizer for my hair. I use a mild, pretty natural shampoo in the shower, then just enough coconut oil to get my hands slick with it (probably about 1/8 tsp).

hollyxann 05-20-2014 07:58 AM

I use it for all kinds of things...pretty much everything that has been said here. I've used it as a makeup remover...works great! And I always use it for a moisturizer. I did oil pulling for a while, I need to get back into it. I haven't cooked with it yet.

But a little coconut oil goes a LONG way.

When I use it on my hair, I use it for a deep conditioning treatment. I put it on my dry hair, then put a shower cap on or put it up and go about my business for about 20-30 minutes. The longer the better. Then shower as normal, shampoo (sometimes twice) and condition your hair. Again a little will go a long way. I have super thick hair so I use about a quarter size amount. But with thin hair you will probably only need to get your hands covered and that's it. Focus on your roots.