Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Convince me (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91822)

hollyxann 12-28-2019 01:27 PM

Convince me

FINALLY got a new computer....mine has been on the fritz for a while and has prevented me from doing a lot things, including scrapbooking.

I am a kit hoarder! BAD! I refuse to get rid of SSD collabs, certain collections and certain theme specific kits, but convince to get rid of the other kits. PLEASE lol make my life easier :D

bcgal00 12-28-2019 02:13 PM

If you don't want to get rid of some products, maybe just move them onto a separate drive so you can put them away but pull them out if you decide you want to use them.

I purged a lot over the last 3-4 yrs but some oldies I kept and put them away. Every now and then I plug it in, check it out and use a few things, almost like getting new products b/c I forget what's in there LOL.

Gemma 12-28-2019 02:56 PM

Oh gosh, I need someone to convince me too. I have kits I know I won’t use and I still can’t delete them :D

Leablahblah 12-28-2019 03:41 PM

haha yes... we all need a bit of convincing! I like the idea of putting them aside on another hard drive "just in case"! lol

icindi 12-28-2019 06:55 PM

I can't help you here, I have the same problem! I did manage to purge two bins of Christmas decorations we no longer use, so maybe I can purge some scrap supplies too!

Kiana 12-28-2019 07:08 PM

Well I'm a purger.....if I know the kit doesn't fit my style any more or it's one of those "bad" freebies I picked up just because it was free....it has been deleted!
I'd much rather hoard kits I know I WILL use even if I don't use it right away.

PURGE AWAY! DELETE!!!

aussiegirl 12-28-2019 09:18 PM

I keep my kits on 1 EHD, labeled by designers or theme (Disney kits). I go through it every so often, and delete older kits that I know I won't use again (either because of theme or poor quality, change of style etc). BUT, since they are all on 1 EHD, I don't mind hoarding a 'little" bit! But it does feel good to clean them out once in a while! AND, it gives me a little extra space, AND I have an idea of a certain kit I might want to get now that there is that little extra space! It's a win win!

mrsashbaugh 12-28-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgal00 (Post 1062982669)
Every now and then I plug it in, check it out and use a few things, almost like getting new products b/c I forget what's in there LOL.

Haha, I like this! I could see how it would feel like it is getting new products again when you haven't used in awhile and forgot about them. :D

craftytam 12-28-2019 11:41 PM

I haven't purged any SSD kits. I have purged older kits from other designers as well as freebies that I'll never use.

nietis 12-29-2019 07:21 AM

I got rid of lots of old freebies, one time.
Nowadays, I just move the older kits into a separate EHD. I too have problems from purging those pretties :p

Saar 12-29-2019 07:36 AM

I keep ALL my SSD kits. I have templates from Cindy from 2010 and kits from Kristin from that time. I can't get rid of it.
I deleted a LOT of non SSD kits a year ago.

Kiana 12-29-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saar (Post 1062982743)
I keep ALL my SSD kits. I have templates from Cindy from 2010 and kits from Kristin from that time. I can't get rid of it.
I deleted a LOT of non SSD kits a year ago.

LOL.... I have ALL of my SSD kits too....those are the ones I haven't purged. :thumbup:

ChristineF 12-29-2019 06:35 PM

Only thing I've ever deleted from SSD has been freebies or a random free with purchase that didn't really fit my scrapping style to begin with. I have transfered everything to 2 EHDs, then I have two memory sticks near my computer with my templates, some of my most used kits and my must have kits that I use frequently.

Neverland Scraps 12-30-2019 12:11 PM

I don't purge products from stores that I'm active (which really is only ssd). But other stores from previous years, they are in a folder. In the new year, during January, I'll just go through each kit and say "will I ever use this kit?" and if the answer is no, I delete them. Then I'll look at a designer's name on their folder and think "did I like anything I ever scrapped or used from this designer?" and most times, it's no, so I delete it. I'm really good at deleting, and forgetting (that's the easiest part because my memory stinks!).

I just turn on the tv or music and go through each folder/product asking myself the same question--with the exception of templates. One can never have TOO many templates!

If you aren't sure about the above, take what you think you want to get rid of and put it somewhere. Come back in a week or a month and ask yourself the same question. It's kind of like the whole Marie Kondo stuff---if it makes you happy, keep it. If it doesn't and it's just taking space, get rid of it.

But I'm also not a hoarder in real life and like to get rid of things to make life more simpler, so I might have an easier time letting go of things.

Neverland Scraps 12-30-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristineF (Post 1062982784)
Only thing I've ever deleted from SSD has been freebies or a random free with purchase that didn't really fit my scrapping style to begin with. I have transfered everything to 2 EHDs, then I have two memory sticks near my computer with my templates, some of my most used kits and my must have kits that I use frequently.

gliltter paper----that's my bane and something I get rid of or don't even download. I don't like glitter in real life and I have a hard time with it digitally! :glare::mellow::D I know many like it, but that's the one thing that I never think twice about keeping. Glitter styles that Flergs includes, I'm good with that, because styles are easy and don't take up so much space. But glitter paper is not something I enjoy, digitally or in real life.

3BluEyedBabi 12-30-2019 03:09 PM

My HD is almost full and I have another portable one that is also full....I very rarely delete kits, either. I even have some from designers that have been retired for a while, but I just loved their style so I can't get rid of them!

Neverland Scraps 12-30-2019 04:34 PM

Here's another option---do you have the availability to burn dvd's?

I just recently discovered a dvd of Melissa B when I was on her creative team MANY years ago. I discovered 3 more dvd's of my purchases to Kay Miller's store (is she even around still??) Of course I went through and scratched the disks and threw them out--we're taking OLD SCHOOL products.

But maybe that's an option--to help you with hard drive, getting things off your computer?

Kiana 12-30-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062982824)
It's kind of like the whole Marie Kondo stuff---if it makes you happy, keep it. If it doesn't and it's just taking space, get rid of it.

But I'm also not a hoarder in real life and like to get rid of things to make life more simpler, so I might have an easier time letting go of things.

Totally Agree!!! and I'm the same. I'm not a hoarder in real life so it's pretty easy to let things go.

LivyBug 12-31-2019 01:09 AM

a few years ago i went through and was very honest with myself because so much wasn't getting used or wasn't up to quality with current designs (I had things from 2008 lol). I kept some older kits just because they have sentimental quality to me (like what I used to make my first LOs, or designers I CT'd for). maybe take a Marie Kondo approach?

kim21673 12-31-2019 01:42 AM

I have deleted SOME things but the majority of my stuff is sitting on EHD...collecting dust! I even have some of that horrible stuff from back in the day from other online stores.

I did purge A LOT when I went through them a few years ago, but not much from SSD. Mainly stuff I know I will NEVER use again because they are not my style and weren't when I got them. I have 6 or 7 EHDs sitting around (maybe more)....two are my main ones from SSD..retired and current stuff.

My goal is to get everything off my computer and just have current scrapping stuff on my computer.

GraceLee 12-31-2019 02:32 AM

I just did a big round of purging and it felt good! I purged kits I knew I would never use, even if I'd bought them with money. And freebies too, of course. It's easier for me to purge kits that I've used once before as well. I remind myself as I go that there will be many more awesome kits coming out and I'll never be able to use them all in my lifetime! :D

bands321 12-31-2019 10:20 AM

I purge once a year. Typically over the Christmas/New Years break. I can see what files have been accessed over the year by looking at the dates and i purge everything that is over 2 years old. I don’t delete anything though �� it all goes on a separate external drive and typically just sits there. It is organized and I have had to go grab a specific kit for a school project for my son.

Since I scrap 100% on my iPad, iCloud storage organization/purge is a must!

Kiana 12-31-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraceLee (Post 1062982913)
I remind myself as I go that there will be many more awesome kits coming out and I'll never be able to use them all in my lifetime! :D

Yasssssss:w00t:

JillW 12-31-2019 11:48 AM

I have kits dating back to 2006 - lol! They are on an EHD so not taking up space on my hard drive … someday I might delete them, but I can't find it in me to do it now! IF these were physical kits I'd have had to gotten rid of them long ago, because I hate clutter!! Ha ha - thus the reason I love DIGI so much!

Txcorey 12-31-2019 05:56 PM

I purge a couple of times a year. If I know that I won't use a kit again, or if it's out of date, I purge it-even my SSD kits. I keep my current stash on my computer (I have a big storage drive) but I still purge to keep my computer running fast. I say just do it. You will be glad you did and won't miss those old kits.

lizziej 01-11-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ (Post 1062982719)
...or it's one of those "bad" freebies I picked up just because it was free....it has been deleted!

I'm laughing so hard, because I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that picked up freebies just because they were free! I have no problem deleting those.

I have some kits since I started digi scrapping back in 2006 that I have never used. I look at them and wonder WHY I purchased them. I can usually delete those. However, with kits I have used, especially recent ones, I cannot delete them, because I tell myself that I may need to change the layout(s) I did with them and will still need them. :rolleyes:

I thought I would never be a collector of digi products like I collected paper supplies, but I was wrong! I need help, too. :D

I have digi stuff on CDs, flash drives, and on an EHD, in addition to my hard drive and another drive on my computer.