Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sweet Reads-Book Club (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   dystopian literature (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57597)

*Celeste* 10-03-2011 09:59 AM

dystopian literature

i loved hunger games and i'm wondering if any of you have read anything similar. i've been on a kick lately. i've read matched, divergent (which was very good), and unwind. and of course the giver is a great read. i'm currently reading maze runner which technically isn't dytopian but it kind of feels that way. have any recommendations?

Darcy Baldwin 10-03-2011 10:09 AM

Obviously things like 1984 (blech) fall into this...but I didn't that book LOL

Have you read Atlas Shrugged or Farenheit 451 or Brave New World? Or are you wanting to stay in more YA type novels?

I tend to more post apocalyptic reading, so Farenheit 451 and Alas, Babylon was right up my alley, but Brave New World was okay (though we read 1984 in 1982..and thought it was great to see the differences in 'what might be' and 'what actually was'.

Adding to post apocalyptic: The Ship, One Second After

Dytopian: Logan's Run, V for Vendetta (the graphic novel), Clockwork Orange (but to me, one of the worst books and movies ever..you cannot change my mind about this LOL).

Penny Springmann 10-03-2011 10:11 AM

Along with post apocalyptic: The Road

Otherwise my post would be identical to Darcy's. :)
Maybe: Lord of the Flies

Darcy Baldwin 10-03-2011 10:28 AM

The Road <shiver>

Lyd 10-03-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny Springmann (Post 881887)
Along with post apocalyptic: The Road

I was gonna suggest this one too. VERY interesting read.

Darcy Baldwin 10-03-2011 10:33 AM

So - of course I had to go off in search of more - because the two genres tend to overlap a little...and I wanted to see if I was missing any :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ian_literature

*Celeste* 10-03-2011 10:34 AM

I've read..
Atlas Shrugged
Farenheit 451
Brave New World
Clockwork Orange
Lord of the Flies

Will add: The Ship, One Second After, The Road, Logan's Run, V for Vendetta (the graphic novel) to my list!

*Celeste* 10-03-2011 10:38 AM

ooh great list darcy!

Darcy Baldwin 10-03-2011 10:49 AM

Sorry - it's the Last Ship, Celeste - I wrote it wrong. It's really more post-nuclear war than dytopian.

My library list just got huge after I read that wiki page, and I found another for post apocalyptic:

http://www.abebooks.com/books/apocal...-fiction.shtml

cardinalskate 10-03-2011 11:44 AM

How about The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's got zombie-like creatures, so I don't know how into it you'd be. It's a big honkin' book and I really liked it.

Oryx and Crake by Atwood
Feed by Anderson
The Dispossessed by Le Guin

dana 10-03-2011 01:46 PM

if you are in to YA dystopian novels - then you could check out the uglies trilogy - i didn't think they were as good as the hunger games, but i did enjoy them!

tanyiadeskins 10-03-2011 06:47 PM

Water Wars was a good

Enclave is in my to read list

Skinned trilogy

Incarceron

DawnMarch 10-03-2011 11:38 PM

The Passage was so good.

I just finished reading the Furnace series by Alexander Gordon Smith which was sort of dystopian although most of it take place in a prison which is really dystopian anyway. Anyhow, entertaining series.

adrianka 10-04-2011 09:08 AM

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Others came to mind, but they have been already mentioned.

ETA: I've remembered this: The Perdido Station by China Miéville (I loved it when I was reading it, but I would never read it again because it's too disturbing for my taste)

And Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (as a movie it was named Blade Runner). I didn't care for it much I admit, but I was very young then.

And Orwell's Animal Farm.

sczos911 10-04-2011 10:09 AM

The Passage was good! Interesting!
The Uglies was good, too.

eksteigmeier 10-04-2011 12:38 PM

I love this genre!!

There were some great suggestions. I really liked The Passage, Divergent, and The Maze Runner.

Here are a few I would suggest:

The 11th Plague by Jeff Hirsch
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Blood Red Road, by Moira Young
Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien
Ashes by Ilsa Bick (haven't read this one yet but it is my next in line)

I have a bunch more on my list. Hope that helps.

-actually most of the ones I have on my list were in the link that Darcy posted. I was also able to add a bunch for too....thanks Darcy!

Aimeemomof2+ 10-04-2011 02:34 PM

I loved Divergent and Matched. I thought Enclave was interesting. (the zombies in the mix was fun.)

Another good read is the Gone Series by Michael Grant
The City of Ember series is interesting...not my absolute fave, but OK
Has anyone mentioned Wither yet?? I like that one.....

adrianka 10-06-2011 11:53 AM

A colleague made me aware of this dystopian short story by Kurt Vonnegut - short, but very, very impressive: Harrison Bergeron.

eksteigmeier 10-14-2011 10:35 AM

I just finished reading Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick and I LOVED it! I would highly recommend it.

Kristin

Andrea G 10-15-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dana (Post 882006)
if you are in to YA dystopian novels - then you could check out the uglies trilogy - i didn't think they were as good as the hunger games, but i did enjoy them!

I also just read Matched and really liked it!

I was just going to suggest this series as well. It's by Scott Westerfield, I believe. They are also Young Adult. For me, they were like a lot of other series: Loved the first book, Really liked the second book, thought the third book was okay... there is a fourth book, but IMO it should not be included with this series since it's a whole new spin off story and the main characters from the first three books only moonlight in it. Just my 2¢

YepBrook 12-01-2011 10:04 PM

Oh wow! I'm so glad I ran into this thread. I'm also a huge fan of the Hunger Games and many of the books listed here. The Road was a favorite of mine... although it was depressing.

Another lesser known book I recently read is America Pacifica by Anna North. This is her first novel. It's a bit gritty and has some adult moments, but it's amazingly creative and I couldn't put it down. Check it out from the library, though, it gets mixed reviews.

:)

WendyBird 03-15-2012 11:30 AM

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my all time favorites, I re read it about once a year.

I also really enjoyed The Passage.

And World War Z - I listened to it on audiobook and enjoyed it, but not sure I would have been able to stick with it just reading it. (though the audio is also abridged)

Lots here to add to my reading list!

JulieB146 03-15-2012 04:05 PM

On The Beach---also a wonderful (erm) movie, starring Gregory Peck. CANNOT go wrong there. It also has Fred Astaire, Ava Gardener, Tony Perkins (god he was gorgeous when he wasn't playing a psycho). Wonderfully depressing movie, but it also started out as a book. Try the book first.

And if you don't mind Stephen King, try THe Stand and the Black Tower Series. They're both pretty dystopian. I think Darcy's link was a good one. Check on wikipedia. It's got an alphabetized page with tons of books listed.

Darcy Baldwin 03-15-2012 04:06 PM

Book was way better :)

JulieB146 03-15-2012 04:14 PM

You know, I don't think I've read the book. I'm into dystopian SF/F, but haven't gotten to that one! One of my all time favorites is Alas, Babylon, which is more of a novella than a full length novel. Earth Abides is good.

Darcy Baldwin 06-19-2012 11:25 AM

Not literature - but something interesting.....

I have to wonder if JJ Abrams read One Second After and a fan of Jericho? :D

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/revolution/1401464

sbpoet 11-24-2012 04:49 PM

Oh dear. Another list ...

Actually, I've read most of these.

But not all of them.

MissKim 11-24-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin (Post 1001267)
Not literature - but something interesting.....

I have to wonder if JJ Abrams read One Second After and a fan of Jericho? :D

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/revolution/1401464

I just picked up Dies the Fire, which is a book that I originally read was close to the TV show Revolution. I've read one chapter, which means it's not my thing.

My favorite book ever is The Stand by Stephen King. Not sure it fits in this genre, but it's about a virus that wipes out most of earth's population. I'm sort of rereading it for the 24th time...

Darcy Baldwin 11-24-2012 11:54 PM

The Stand is pretty classic in this kind of literature, Kim - I loved it, too!