Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Solid or Pattern? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91423)

Neverland Scraps 10-01-2019 09:52 PM

Solid or Pattern?

Earlier this weekend I tried scrapping a layout with a solid background paper and it didn't feel right to me. It looked "weird". So then I went to my gallery and you know what I found? I don't really use a lot of solid color papers, and almost ever for my background!

https://media.tenor.com/images/55e0b...1a90/tenor.gif

https://media1.giphy.com/media/bAlrNg99bIdCE/source.gif

Now I'm not talking woodgrain background papers or papers that almost look solid, but are embossed or have an outline of some sort, I'm talking single-colored kraft, construction, etc paper!

Here's the thing....prior to this revelation this weekend,
https://media1.giphy.com/media/l49JQ...SVbO/giphy.gif

I thought I ALWAYS used solid papers, not every layout, but maybe every second or third layout!
https://media1.giphy.com/media/pqxxZ...Rwet/giphy.gif
I think I can probably count on ONE HAND the layouts that I've used solid as my background paper (not including my recent ones because that's when I realized I haven't been using solid papers!)

So it got me thinking and wondering.

Are you a solid background paper because patterns don't look right scrapper?

or

Are you a pattern background paper because solid papers don't like right scrapper? (We'll classify woodgrain in this category)

There can't be a middle, because honestly until this revelation, I thought I was in the middle and that's so far from the truth!

https://media0.giphy.com/media/229Fa...JDFf/giphy.gif

KingsQueen82 10-01-2019 10:21 PM

I rarely use a solid background either. Or not a clean solid... it's too empty for me so if that's my only/best choice then I will throw whatever paints, splatters, scatters, etc on there to mess it up a bit!

Neverland Scraps 10-01-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 (Post 1062973981)
I rarely use a solid background either. Or not a clean solid... it's too empty for me so if that's my only/best choice then I will throw whatever paints, splatters, scatters, etc on there to mess it up a bit!

yes, yes, YES to all of this!!!

cherrygutz 10-01-2019 11:04 PM

Well, I use solid papers on my layouts, but when I do, I put paint splatters on it or I put the solid on top of a pattern and then use the eraser tool to subtly erase area/s of the solid papers like this one or this one. I have a page I made where I used a solid and I wasn't solved with the white space being literal. But there are times when I feel intimidated by bold pattern papers that I will save a copy using a pattern paper and a solid with paint, you know what I mean? :unsure:

jacinda 10-01-2019 11:08 PM

I'm the opposite. I love solid backgrounds. I use patterned backgrounds on occasion but I far prefer the cleaner look of solids. I find it draws the eye to the photos more easily. It's just my style though. I absolutely admire those who use patterns more, but for myself less is more.

YepBrook 10-01-2019 11:10 PM

I had to go look... haha. I like patterned solids for my backgrounds, usually. I tend to make sure I have some in every kit I've designed because I feel like they are essentials! Papers that from a distance seem solid but when you click to look closer there's a faint texture or pattern there. Those are my favorites. Tone on tone, or a simple pattern like a diagonal stripe, grid, woodgrain, etc. And like Cassie, if it's too plain I love dressing up the background with paint or overlaying with a busier paper with some transparency.

StacyLynn 10-02-2019 06:37 AM

I don't use solids too much as a main background cause it feels empty and I'm not so good with white space layouts. I will use a solid if I'm blending a large photo to it.... or adding lots of splatters n painty stuff. I do use lots of solids for matting the pics.

LynnZant 10-02-2019 06:43 AM

I had to look also. I was surprised at how many solids I've used. I would have thought that I was a pattern gal all the way. Now, I like to layer my background papers, so at least one of the layers is a solid most of the time. It just might not be the one that is on top.

Rubia Padilha 10-02-2019 06:44 AM

Patterned papers! :) Unless it is a pretty kraft/cardboard paper... I loooooooooooove some cardboard paper. I remember when that was a trend... such a good time. lol

Rubia Padilha 10-02-2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrygutz (Post 1062973986)
Well, I use solid papers on my layouts, but when I do, I put paint splatters on it or I put the solid on top of a pattern and then use the eraser tool to subtly erase area/s of the solid papers like this one or this one. I have a page I made where I used a solid and I wasn't solved with the white space being literal. But there are times when I feel intimidated by bold pattern papers that I will save a copy using a pattern paper and a solid with paint, you know what I mean? :unsure:

yes! to use solid papers, you must use all the paints! :D:wub:

Kiana 10-02-2019 06:51 AM

Like Brook I had to go look. So I'd say I was in the middle with a lean to patterns. I have at least one layout on each page of my gallery with a true solid background, albeit dressed with paint, splatters etc.
So I'm not totally adverse to them, but I lean toward at least a tone on tone pattern (or wood) more often than a solid. Unless I'm going bold and use a bold pattern.

KingsQueen82 10-02-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha (Post 1062974028)
Patterned papers! :) Unless it is a pretty kraft/cardboard paper... I loooooooooooove some cardboard paper. I remember when that was a trend... such a good time. lol

I just wish listed some cardboard papers (from another designer at a different store...don't kick me out!) yesterday! I thought they were so cool! They could totally make a comeback and I'd be okay with it! :P

kristalund 10-02-2019 08:00 AM

I love using pp and wood grain papers!

tanyiadeskins 10-02-2019 08:16 AM

I am guilty of the same thing lol I always feel like the solids are too plain so I prefer something with even a tone on tone pattern lol

Rubia Padilha 10-02-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 (Post 1062974031)
I just wish listed some cardboard papers (from another designer at a different store...don't kick me out!) yesterday! I thought they were so cool! They could totally make a comeback and I'd be okay with it! :P

https://media.giphy.com/media/ac7MA7r5IMYda/giphy.gif

:p:D:D:D

but, yes, I would be ok too! and acrylic alphas!!! I love transparent things!!!

jaye 10-02-2019 08:48 AM

I think I fluctuate, it really depends on the type of page I'm doing. I can say that if I do use a solid paper it is most likely, white or a neutral colour.

kendallt 10-02-2019 10:45 AM

I always love the look of solid backgrounds (SugarBabes Kim B. and Tronesia are two of my fave scrappers who rock the solid backgrounds), and I want to make the solids work for my pages, but like others have said, it feels so plain and empty when I do it. I find that when I do use solids for the background, I have to add some paint, borders, or stamps to make it look "right."

Neverland Scraps 10-02-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrygutz (Post 1062973986)

Those are beautiful layouts!! And yes! I know what you mean! I've done that a lot in the past because it felt like I was missing on a solid piece of paper!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacinda (Post 1062973987)
I'm the opposite. I love solid backgrounds. I use patterned backgrounds on occasion but I far prefer the cleaner look of solids. I find it draws the eye to the photos more easily. It's just my style though. I absolutely admire those who use patterns more, but for myself less is more.

I'm going to have to try this, after DSD of course!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnZant (Post 1062974027)
I had to look also. I was surprised at how many solids I've used. I would have thought that I was a pattern gal all the way. Now, I like to layer my background papers, so at least one of the layers is a solid most of the time. It just might not be the one that is on top.

It's an eye-opener, isn't it?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha (Post 1062974028)

Please bring cardboard and kraft back!! I miss those days!!

Neverland Scraps 10-02-2019 11:17 AM

It's been really interesting to see all the responses, where some were like me and had to go look only to realize differently!

Thank you all that have chimed in already. I really do appreciate it and loved reading your answers!! :wub:

Rubia Padilha 10-02-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062974080)

Please bring cardboard and kraft back!! I miss those days!!

hahaha hey. search at the store for "kraft studio basic" and you are going to see that I really try...

Like really really try.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/98c1...itemid=5383102

ChristineF 10-02-2019 12:40 PM

I very rarely use completely plain solid papers, there is usually a woodgrain or soft pattern in it. And if I don't find the perfect soft (barely there) pattern I make my own out of solid and ellies.

icindi 10-02-2019 02:39 PM

Plain solids seem to plain to me. Never thought of the subtle erasing trick! My favorites are woodgrains or subtle prints. If I use a bolder print its usually in smaller areas - a paper tucked behind a photo or something.

Neverland Scraps 10-02-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha (Post 1062974094)
hahaha hey. search at the store for "kraft studio basic" and you are going to see that I really try...

Like really really try.

You need to spread the word
*cough cough*
I think you did like four collabs this week . . . .
Get a few more designers on board and we got ourselves a mutiny.
I mean trend going on! :D

https://media1.tenor.com/images/722f...temid=12977056

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Jecm...9fhK/giphy.gif

Saar 10-04-2019 07:46 AM

I have a weakness for wood grain papers. I also LOVE tone on tone patterned papers. But I like solid ones too for a background, esp. when I want to add a lot of paint and splatters.

bcgal00 10-04-2019 11:55 AM

I like color and texture so most of my pages have patterned paper on the background or if I use a solid it's either textured or I add brushwork, paint, etc to mess it up. Looking at paper patterns and colors usually affects my kit purchase, if I'm not in love with at least a few of the patterns, I usually won't buy it.

JennNtheBoys 10-04-2019 01:40 PM

I have a really hard time using pattern papers. I typically stick with Wood, solid black, white or kraft, and very small pops of pattern. I have been trying to go outside the box this year and use bigger pieces of pattern paper, but I still cannot use a full pattern as a background (the very FEW times I have used a full pattern background I haven't loved the layout).

ellasspace 10-04-2019 02:16 PM

I rarely use solids, I like to make an impact and solid just doesn't do that for me.

MegCreations 10-05-2019 12:24 AM

I think as a beginner i used solids because I was scared of patterns! Lol once i learned how to make them look good I started using a lot of patterned backgrounds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

adi&co. 10-05-2019 09:14 PM

Whether I use pattern or not really depends on the kit I’m using haha! And the pic too, but it’s more the kit specifically. I love plain white backgrounds

Neverland Scraps 10-05-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgal00 (Post 1062974478)
I like color and texture so most of my pages have patterned paper on the background or if I use a solid it's either textured or I add brushwork, paint, etc to mess it up. Looking at paper patterns and colors usually affects my kit purchase, if I'm not in love with at least a few of the patterns, I usually won't buy it.

I agree on this one! I factor in the papers/patterns when I'm buying a kit--and how the example layouts use those pattern papers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys (Post 1062974491)
I have a really hard time using pattern papers. I typically stick with Wood, solid black, white or kraft, and very small pops of pattern. I have been trying to go outside the box this year and use bigger pieces of pattern paper, but I still cannot use a full pattern as a background (the very FEW times I have used a full pattern background I haven't loved the layout).

and I love that about your layouts! Your layouts draw me in because they are opposite of mine and I'm intrigued by your style! :wub: