Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   QOTW 02/22 Photo manipulation (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93780)

bcgal00 02-22-2021 04:51 PM

QOTW 02/22 Photo manipulation

Do you scrap with mostly color or b/w photos? Do you like to apply filters or blend modes to your images?

Do you use them straight out of the camera?

What do you do with your images? Any software/filters/programs you use that you really like?

bcgal00 02-22-2021 04:59 PM

I do it all. I predominantly scrap color photos but do b/w conversions a fair amount too. With my phone pics, I usually leave them as is but may brighten them a bit. I have an old action from Radlab called Clairify that I love that adds a bit of brightness but I don't think it is available anymore.

I like quick and easy for editing, so use a few action sets from Florabella and Paint The Moon, that are easily adjustable and can lower the opacity. I sometimes will add a blend mode layer mask to a photo, brushing on parts of it. Other than that, I like it quick and easy so don't spend much time on the photos.

My fave software used to be from Radlab but they switched to MAC users only so I still miss it (it's been a few yrs since they stopped a windows platform). I have topaz which I use a bit for artsy manipulations but don't use it much b/c it's too time consuming.

AmieN1 02-22-2021 05:40 PM

It really depends on how much time I have lately. I love to play around with filters & fun stuff. I do use b/w a lot & typically I just use the gradient map filter in photoshop for that. I am totally known by my family to head swap pictures too! You rarely get one where all the kids & dogs are looking at the same time! ;) ;)

Kimberly27 02-22-2021 06:01 PM

***I rarely use them right out of the camera since I am using a 3 yr old Samsung phone as a camera. It is a good one but still...I like to edit. I use mostly color but sometimes will edit to b/w or sepia depending on the mood

I have a set of filters I got from Pioneer Woman's website that I use. I run Fresh and Colorful on them it basically sharpens them and lifts the colors. Sometimes I mess with the color balance if the color seems too yellow or too red. I am known to swap heads occasionally or whole bodies if needed LOL

I also using the healing tool to edit photos if there are blemishes like graffiti on a sign we were posing in front of that shouldn't have been there...

StacyLynn 02-22-2021 09:33 PM

I do a little of everything. Most photos are color that I scrap. I usually tweak them at least a little, brightness and such.

Sometimes I like to blend a color photo with a black & white photo.

I do also edit photo shoots in Lightroom and use some presets on them.

rach3975 02-22-2021 09:58 PM

I almost always scrap color photos. My brain likes color--I love the artistry of other people's black and white photos, but when I make my own B&W the lack of color makes me feel like I'm missing part of the memory. I don't use filters or effects, but I do basic editing on most photos (curves or levels and sharpness). Two of my kids are teens, so on most photos I have to work on their skin. And yes, on group photos I swap heads as necessary. That's been the one (and only!) good thing about family photos being Zoom screenshots this year--it's so easy to use the best shot of each family!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Neverland Scraps 02-23-2021 11:31 AM

I'm hit or miss....some days I like them straight out of the camera, some days I like them black/white/sepia, and other days I play with the different effects in my RadLab program. I was so sad when they discontinued the Windows version, but was thankful that I bought the program when I did because it's my go-to for when I want to edit my photos within Photoshop.

Dalis 02-23-2021 11:48 AM

If they are too dark I will use some of my actions to play with it.

TraceyM 02-23-2021 12:21 PM

I almost always scrap with color photos because I want to remember all the details including the colors. I will fix what needs fixing in Photoshop if I can - usually just simple things like lightening a photo, sharpening, whitening a smile just a wee bit, making eyes sparkle just a touch more - though I haven't actually done the latter in a long time. These days I spend more time designing then scrapping but I still have a ton of pics to scrap that await me.

just_jo 02-23-2021 01:33 PM

Depends on how I've taken the photo. If I'm using my camera then it's Lightroom as I always shoot in RAW. Sometimes I use presets but 9 times out of 10 I do "my thing" to them.

Everyday photos on my phone? I rarely adjust unless it's some tweaking with light.

If I'm going to use BW photos then I'm probably going to use my camera and Lr.

HavaDrPepper 02-23-2021 01:34 PM

I scrap 98% of the time with color photos although I have edited them to b/w or sepia if that works better for the layout. I don't use filters or blend modes on images.

Digital photos, yes to straight out of the camera since I am a diehard camera girl and not a phone camera user. Phone photos usually end up blurry as my hands shake when I use it. I need the weight of a regular camera and something I can grip tightly with both hands.

With scanned images (from photos or negatives) from 40 to 50 years ago, I will use a fade correction adjustment (I use Paint Shop Pro) to brighten them up. If that doesn't work then I will resort to using other adjustments (curves, levels, brightness/contrast) until I find something I like. I will also use an automatic scratch removal on these if needed. For some I will use the scratch removal tool and zoom in to fix them. Just fixed a couple the other day this way... also had to do the red eye adjustment on them!

Still, my photos aren't perfect and I prefer them that way. Life isn't perfect either. I take photos because I enjoy it and documenting life, not to win awards.

lovely1m 02-24-2021 01:58 PM

The only thing I do is run a quick brighten and white balance filter on mine.

joelsgirl 02-24-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly27 (Post 1063038575)
I have a set of filters I got from Pioneer Woman's website that I use. I run Fresh and Colorful on them it basically sharpens them and lifts the colors.

Me, too! I got those at least a decade ago, and I use them on all of my photos.

Sometimes I just use the filter from my phone, too, but I almost never scrap in B&W anymore.

MamaBee 02-24-2021 10:22 PM

I used to add filters to my photos, but now it's rare. I guess to me, the colors is part of the page's story. If I use filters in photoshop, they are always Pioneer Woman's - I've had them for as long as I've been scrappin... haha.