Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about fruit..... (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43175)

Kat Stokes 06-07-2010 10:19 AM

Question about fruit.....

We love strawberries and cherries but they get moldy pretty much overnight when I buy them. Anyone have any ideas for storing them so they don't do this and actually last a couple of days?

Darcy Baldwin 06-07-2010 10:24 AM

Don't wash them immediately. Only wash as you use them. You might try taking them out of the plastic bins and storing them in paper towels to help absorb the moisture. Also, if you're buying them on deep discount, they're probably in their last days, so they mold more quickly.

nikkiARNGwife 06-07-2010 10:26 AM

I only wash as we use too and I take mine out of the containers and put them in a ziploc baggie with a couple of paper towels..the paper towels will absorb a lot of the moisture...I also squeeze as much air as I can out of the bag when I zip it up. I do this with lettuce too :)

taracotta7 06-07-2010 10:37 AM

Those produce green bags from the commercials also work. :)

nun69 06-07-2010 11:01 AM

this happens to me too! I am gonna try the plastic bag and paper towels :)

Milmomma 06-07-2010 11:03 AM

I do the paper towel in the plastic baggie or if in tupperware I put in a slice of bread, great for sucking up the moisture. :)

lauren grier 06-07-2010 11:07 AM

lol ce inhales all strawberries we buy within 2 minutes of returning home.. but these are good tips to try if i can ever keep any in my house :p

Gemma 06-07-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren grier (Post 666468)
lol ce inhales all strawberries we buy within 2 minutes of returning home.. but these are good tips to try if i can ever keep any in my house :p

Haha same here, I don't think strawberries have lasted more than 1 day in this house! :D

kristijoy 06-07-2010 11:22 AM

My mom just bought me 2 special yellow bags for storing fruit. We put the strawberries inside these bags and then put them in the refrigerator. Amazingly they keep a whole lot longer!! I'm not really sure how they work, it has something to do with the gases fruit puts off when it sits.

MandaT 06-07-2010 12:01 PM

They usually don't last all that long here & normally I leave the stawberries in the container they've come in, stored in the fridge. Usually I go through them when I get them home to make sure that none of them have soft spots, etc, because they seem to get bad faster if there's just 1 bad one.

I've tried the bags (Green Bags & Hefty has a stay fresh longer) & they do work well on most things. We like greenish bananas, & the bags keep them from ripening so quickly.

nikkiARNGwife 06-07-2010 01:40 PM

lol bananas don't last long at my house...Avery would eat 4-5 a day if I let him..there was even a "banana wrestling match" this morning when Ella stole Avery's half of the LAST one lol...I just picked up 6 more today and they'll probablb be gone within 2 days :)

Coila 06-07-2010 04:06 PM

I use Tupperware's Produce Saver containers. They have a little vent thing on the bottom so the juice drains to the bottom and your fruit doesn't soak in it. I love them and really noticed a difference in how long our fruit lasts!

lovely1m 06-07-2010 04:42 PM

Oh, the papertowel thing is smart.