Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   We got a Cricut! (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92361)

Neverland Scraps 03-24-2020 07:38 PM

We got a Cricut!

We bought a Cricut Maker and it should be here on Saturday!!
https://images.milled.com/2019-09-05...lUV9wy8I3c.gif

Originally we were going to get one later in the year as we've been slowly purchasing things here and there in anticipation for it as well as saving up since it's a costly purchase. But with the way the world has gone, the kids being cooped up in the house, we bumped up our timeline of buying a Cricut to give the kids something to do in their free time.

I'm a little nervous because the place where I was going to place it still has boxes of American Girls doll stuff that needs to be sold! :D:blink: I think for now it'll be take it out when we use it and put it back when it's not in use. But I'm SO nervous because it's not digital! :unsure: This is going to be a whole new learning thing for all of us.

https://media.giphy.com/media/idkAvz...vsIU/giphy.gif

Right now the older kids will be pocket scrapping photos from their phones. When I get a color printer (again, I need that space cleaned), we'll be able to print some of the stuff from the store to give them more products to use with their pocket pages!

I think I have enough stuff to get me started. Do you all have any suggestions of what else we need or what you found is necessary? Link me up if you have a certain place or item suggestion!!

https://media0.giphy.com/media/vxpa6...85z1/giphy.gif

craftytam 03-24-2020 07:40 PM

How fun!! It's great timing since the kids have to be home. I only have a (really) old Cricut, so I don't have any suggestions.
Have fun playing!!

mrsashbaugh 03-24-2020 08:49 PM

No suggestions as I'm a Silhouette user, but it should be so fun! I love playing and using my Silhouette when I get the chance. I know Cassie has one and she would be a source for information. :)

jaye 03-24-2020 08:50 PM

how awesome!!! I keep thinking I need a Cricut.......but then I buy something for my camera, lol.
Can't wait to see what you create and fill us in on all the details as I am very intrigued by these machines.

MamaBee 03-24-2020 09:02 PM

I have a first generation Silhouette and it's still in the box... haha. I think I've tried to use it twice. I really want to do t-shirts so I don't have to pay $20 for each one I get for my kiddo... haha. But I think I need a newer one.

mrsashbaugh 03-24-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBee (Post 1062997799)
I have a first generation Silhouette and it's still in the box... haha.

:blink: What?! You need to get that out!

Neverland Scraps 03-24-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh (Post 1062997796)
No suggestions as I'm a Silhouette user, but it should be so fun! I love playing and using my Silhouette when I get the chance. I know Cassie has one and she would be a source for information. :)

I've been asking her a million questions this entire year about the Maker!! She's been my go-to for information, what I need, what she recommends, etc. She's so knowledgeable! :wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaye (Post 1062997797)
how awesome!!! I keep thinking I need a Cricut.......but then I buy something for my camera, lol.
Can't wait to see what you create and fill us in on all the details as I am very intrigued by these machines.

That's tempting. . . .I'm not as active with my camera these days so maybe that's a good thing for us! :D

Depends on what it is, I'll post it here in the gallery (if I use SSD products). Otherwise it may/maynot get posted on my FB page--just depends on what the kiddos say about posting their work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBee (Post 1062997799)
I have a first generation Silhouette and it's still in the box... haha. I think I've tried to use it twice. I really want to do t-shirts so I don't have to pay $20 for each one I get for my kiddo... haha. But I think I need a newer one.

What?! Get that bad boy out of the box and learn yours with me!!!

angels 03-24-2020 09:53 PM

one day I’ll have a Silhouette!! :D

immaculeah 03-24-2020 10:01 PM

No suggestions here either but I just want to say have fun with your new tool! How exciting!!

biancka 03-25-2020 04:07 AM

That is such a great purchase at this very moment ! You are going to have so much fun making hybrid pages with your children :) I can't wait to see what you are going to create !

Saar 03-25-2020 04:52 AM

I have no advice for you, but I just wanted to say.... yay! Have fun! Can't wait to see what you and your children create. :wub:

JillW 03-25-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh (Post 1062997800)
:blink: What?! You need to get that out!

You read my mind! My Silhouette is super old (probably one of the 1st ones out), and I keep thinking I'd like a nice new shiny one, but the one I have works just fine ... I love creating goodies withit!

Have fun Wendy! Can't wait to see all of your creations!!

lorigaud 03-25-2020 08:26 AM

I have a Cricut Explore Air and LOVE it. I haven't actually used it to do hybrid stuff very much, although I've made some cards. I use it mostly to create vinyl stickers, do iron on stuff, and stencils for signs. I started my own little craft business with it to supplement my income. You're gonna love it!

StacyLynn 03-25-2020 11:07 AM

So exciting!!! I have the original Cricut Explore.

I used to take mine in and out of the box each time I used it in the beginning too! Then I got a cart on wheels and use the bag it came with upside down as a cover. The box is now in the attic in case I need to move/pack up or what ever.

There are several great FB groups for learning tips and tricks and to seach when you have a question. :)

Neverland Scraps 03-25-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorigaud (Post 1062997834)
I have a Cricut Explore Air and LOVE it. I haven't actually used it to do hybrid stuff very much, although I've made some cards. I use it mostly to create vinyl stickers, do iron on stuff, and stencils for signs. I started my own little craft business with it to supplement my income. You're gonna love it!

This is my biggest thing that I'LL be doing. We normally buy vinyl sayings to hang all over the wall--you know military, move every few years, don't want to invest in anything permanent. I've held off on buying new vinyl to hang in the wall knowing we'd eventually get a cricut! Now I can make and put up things on our walls!! :wub:

I also told my husband I'm going to make him a better Detroit Lions car decal. I bought him one for Christmas and it was awful!!! We were both disappointed with it so that might be one of the first things I do for him!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StacyLynn (Post 1062997841)
So exciting!!! I have the original Cricut Explore.

I used to take mine in and out of the box each time I used it in the beginning too! Then I got a cart on wheels and use the bag it came with upside down as a cover. The box is now in the attic in case I need to move/pack up or what ever.

There are several great FB groups for learning tips and tricks and to seach when you have a question. :)

Ooh I like that cart idea! Will have to see if I can find something on Amazon!!

I belong to SO many Cricut groups and have for the last year or so!!! They are SO informational and what helped me learn/understand the cutter! Do you have a favorite group?

MandaT 03-25-2020 12:15 PM

Hubby bought me one about this time last year, I love it, I just wish I had more space to keep it set up all the time so I would actually want to use it. Well that, and I need to upgrade my computer so that I can run the programs more effeciently. So I get frustrated, because I can't do what I want, as quickly as I want.
The kids love when I can make them sweatshirts and fun things like that. I haven't really tried using it for paper much, although, when I get my computer upgraded and can make a better space for it, I've thought about giving it a go.
They are lots of fun!!

Leablahblah 03-25-2020 02:10 PM

Yay!! Exciting!

My husband gave me one for Christmas or my bday... I can't even remember even though it wasn't long ago! I'm so bad.

I have used it a couple times. I made a birthday card with a cutout. I have made two shirts for my girls. And a stencil for a friend. But I can't say I'm good. I learn best when people show me directly how to use things. So that won't happen.

Please show us your creations!

3BluEyedBabi 03-25-2020 02:29 PM

How exciting, Wendy! It's been on my wish list for-ev-er!!

cherrygutz 03-25-2020 04:29 PM

Congratulations! How exciting that must be!

Neverland Scraps 03-25-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leablahblah (Post 1062997858)
Yay!! Exciting!

My husband gave me one for Christmas or my bday... I can't even remember even though it wasn't long ago! I'm so bad.

I have used it a couple times. I made a birthday card with a cutout. I have made two shirts for my girls. And a stencil for a friend. But I can't say I'm good. I learn best when people show me directly how to use things. So that won't happen.

Please show us your creations!

Me too!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi (Post 1062997860)
How exciting, Wendy! It's been on my wish list for-ev-er!!

Mine too!! I hope you get yours sometime and soon! :wub:

Dalis 03-25-2020 04:40 PM

I have my original cricut and still love it to pieces!!!!!!!

icindi 03-25-2020 04:45 PM

Sounds fun for the whole family! Enjoy!!!

Kiana 03-25-2020 05:12 PM

WOW so exciting

mmbstaley 03-25-2020 11:50 PM

Fun stuff! hope you love it and find lots of ways to use it.
I have a Silhouette - version 2?? I've had it for about 6 years now. I don't use it as much as I should. I mostly cut vinyl for car windows and other things you can stick it to, as well as lots of t-shirts. T-shirts are my very favorite thing to make. The HTV can get pricey though. Watch for sales at the craft stores, or buy it online.

mmbstaley 03-25-2020 11:53 PM

And being able to have a dedicated place to put it and leave it out once we moved here, instead of keeping it in the box and having to unpack it to use it all of the time, made a huge difference in how much I used it. So I highly recommend that if you have a space for it, or get a cart you can pull out easily.

Sherri Tierney 03-26-2020 12:19 AM

I have a Silhouette Portrait. I haven't used it at all as much as I thought I would. I did make myself a t-shirt to start school with this year. Then I made my husband an t-shirt he wanted. It was so tedious though that I lost patience for it quickly. This is the way things go with me. LOL It was like stamps all over again (bought a TON of those and never used 90% of them).

Here's my shirt from this year... I need to make my kids a quarantined shirt. ;)
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...d3&oe=5EA11CAD

Neverland Scraps 03-26-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbstaley (Post 1062997928)
Fun stuff! hope you love it and find lots of ways to use it.
I have a Silhouette - version 2?? I've had it for about 6 years now. I don't use it as much as I should. I mostly cut vinyl for car windows and other things you can stick it to, as well as lots of t-shirts. T-shirts are my very favorite thing to make. The HTV can get pricey though. Watch for sales at the craft stores, or buy it online.

I have been eyeing CraftVinyl.com for their vinyl. I ordered swatches a couple months ago. Just today I ordered a bunch of black and white vinyl for their Wednesday Black and White sale they have. I know it won't come quickly like some of the box stores, but the prices--you can't beat them!! If you do go there, just be mindful of the shipping. He WILL cancel your order if you don't read/follow their shipping rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbstaley (Post 1062997929)
And being able to have a dedicated place to put it and leave it out once we moved here, instead of keeping it in the box and having to unpack it to use it all of the time, made a huge difference in how much I used it. So I highly recommend that if you have a space for it, or get a cart you can pull out easily.

Originally I was going to work on getting rid of all this American Girl stuff that's sitting next to my desk. Once that was out, I was going to set up my crafting table - which is where the Cricut will go. BUT with the virus....that isn't happening. :( Once that passes and this AG stuff is sold, it'll have a space.

You are the second person to mention a cart. Do you have a specific cart that you use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney (Post 1062997932)
I have a Silhouette Portrait. I haven't used it at all as much as I thought I would. I did make myself a t-shirt to start school with this year. Then I made my husband an t-shirt he wanted. It was so tedious though that I lost patience for it quickly. This is the way things go with me. LOL It was like stamps all over again (bought a TON of those and never used 90% of them).

Here's my shirt from this year... I need to make my kids a quarantined shirt. ;)
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...d3&oe=5EA11CAD

LOVE that shirt!!! That's a good idea about making a quarantine shirt - - we should do something too!!!

I hear you on the stamping, except I actually used mine for YEARS and YEARS - until I found digi. Then I sold them all and never looked back. I don't think that will be the same with this cricut! There's so much I want to do with it!! Just a warning, every family member who has their ears pierced will be getting leather earrings or shirts :blink::D

knittingbec 03-26-2020 12:53 PM

How fun!!! That's a nice treat!
I love my Silhouette! I don't pull it out too often, but when I do, I don't know how I'd live without it! (I'm pretty sad, because we're leaving our post early & I can't stick it in my suitcase & I won't be see it again until after our official PCS in August! Maybe I'll buy one for my mom so I can use it while we're at her house ;) )
Most recently...
I made my daughter & her kindergarten teacher (me, lol!) shirts to wear for our 100th day. My principal couldn't believe I made them & then couldn't believe I hadn't taken orders ;) I made both of my kids & myself valentine's day shirts this year.
I used vinyl on battery-operated candles for Christmas & for name tags on our water bottles.
My son was really excited to use it to cut shapes & letters out for a poster for school!

StacyLynn 03-26-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062997846)

I belong to SO many Cricut groups and have for the last year or so!!! They are SO informational and what helped me learn/understand the cutter! Do you have a favorite group?

Cricut for Newbie and Pros is my go to group!