Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Dreaded Downloads Foder (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76124)

marlathrall 02-05-2014 04:01 PM

The Dreaded Downloads Foder

Please tell me that I'm not the only one out there with a cluttered downloads folder? Mine is the biggest wreck and I spent several hours organizing back in December, yet it's a mess again!

How do you keep yours organized? Any tips?

Luckily, I'm on a mac so my downloads automatically unzip, but that's the only good thing I've got going for me.

NeverendingJen 02-05-2014 04:09 PM

lets not talk about it, k? because its bad.

coopert 02-05-2014 04:33 PM

Same here. I cleaned mine out in October and it's a wreck again.

MamaBee 02-05-2014 04:40 PM

Mine is a mess too... Sad thing is that I need to clean off the hard drive so I have room to unzip and organize! I'm in the red zone of space left on my hard drive... *sigh*

MissKim 02-05-2014 04:41 PM

Hmm... I feel like the downloads folder is the one place I can easily keep organized without my entire family getting in an messing it up, so mine usually looks pretty darn good. I have a folder full of stuff I've used and need to move to my EHD but otherwise it's clean.

jacinda 02-05-2014 04:45 PM

I just tidied my downoads folder yesterday. I don't have any real tips though. I keep the items zipped until I'm ready to use them. Once I've used them I delete the zip and then I'm supposed to file them in their proper areas, but that often doesn't happen till my folder gets so full I can't find anything. LOL.

adrianka 02-05-2014 07:06 PM

As much as disorganised I am in RL, my computer is organised almost too much. I extract and tag immediately upon download. But my household is another story!

rach3975 02-05-2014 09:11 PM

I was in pretty good shape until all the designers here released new freebies the same week and I indulged myself with the last of my monthly SR coupons! Not that I'm complaining about either one, but yeah, mine is a mess right now. I'll get to it soon! My current project is taking 100+ little notes on post-its and paper scraps that I scribbled scrapbook-worthy quotes and stories on before I switched to doing it all on my phone a year ago. Almost done getting those all onto my computer, and I'm so glad they're there and neatly organized now!

littlekiwi 02-05-2014 09:29 PM

my downloads folder is a total disaster - no time to sort through it, though everything is unzipped so I guess that is progress. Honestly I haven't sorted through it cause I don't know how I want it organized now that I am doing project life.

rach3975 02-05-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlekiwi (Post 1193460)
I don't know how I want it organized now that I am doing project life.

I mostly stuck with the same system I'd been using. I added a Project Life folder where I keep previews of supplies I might want to use for PL and duplicates of the supplies that I know I'll use the most. (For example, the stitched grid templates by Traci that I use every week are in both my Template folder and my PL folder, and my filler card templates by Cindy are in PL and Word Art. But kits would only have a preview in the PL folder.) It works for me because there's a relatively small set of products that I use often enough to keep in my PL folder.

Nettio 02-05-2014 10:29 PM

When mine gets out of hand, I usually just make a To Sort folder within it and drag everything in there. :D Once the Downloads folder starts getting too big, I go through and delete stuff. I'm pretty good about unzipping and moving digi products though so it's mostly random other files I've downloaded in there.

crecia27 02-06-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverendingJen (Post 1193394)
lets not talk about it, k? because its bad.

Agree!! But the auto unzip thing might talk me into the expense of a Mac!

NeverendingJen 02-06-2014 11:48 AM

Mine is actually sorted out, it's more so the to be sorted folder that is a complete disaster lol.

marlathrall 02-06-2014 11:51 AM

I worked on mine for a little bit yesterday! Hopefully I will spend some time on it again today! Need to get a few things sorted before new stuff comes out this week! :)

fifilur 02-06-2014 11:55 AM

I always unzip and sort right after I download, so mine's fine :p

Jengerbread88 02-06-2014 11:30 PM

Blech, don't even ask. The ONLY time that I really strictly weed out that folder is when I notice my laptop is getting a bit full or slow. It's always the biggest, and the one with documents I download once and never return to, so it's the easiest to clean out. That said, I am not diligent about cleaning it out regularly!

ricslady 02-07-2014 04:42 AM

I don't use the downloads folder. I download everything to my desktop and I can't stand that to be messy.

lorryfach 02-07-2014 05:32 AM

I was soooo proud of myself for getting everything organized. All my previews were tagged and everything. I was doing a little jig. Then I started guesting on 2 new CTs and joined a 3rd all in the same month. OMG. Downloads folder is ok, but my 'unsorted' (where 7zip moves everything I extract) folder is DYING. DYYYYYING.