Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What’s your scrapping super power? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97274)

nesser1981 06-15-2023 06:20 PM

What’s your scrapping super power?

We all have one, what’s that thing you know you feel like you do a great job at when it comes to scrapping?

I’ve always said, I’m not the strongest scrapper, I tend to be lazy when it comes to learning new techniques, but I think I do a good job at getting my memories organized to scrap. I try not to get too far “behind”.

Organizing my to scrap pile has always been one of the things I’ve always like I make a point of doing.

Brag on yourself, what is your super power! Do you kill it at challenges? I know a bunch of you do! I see the trackers every month. Are you great at shadowing, do you bring new people to the hobby?

allyanne 06-15-2023 06:49 PM

I can fit 13984035 photos on a single page!

tammybean04 06-15-2023 07:07 PM

I can rock a boy/man page with a girly kit, flowers and all. :)

jaye 06-15-2023 07:14 PM

single photo/clean pages.

SweetChar 06-15-2023 07:33 PM

I can usually make any style kit work with my boys' pictures or take a themed kit that I know I have no pictures that relate but find a twist to make it work with what I have.

Robin Carlton 06-15-2023 07:41 PM

I looove this question so much!

MamaBee 06-15-2023 07:53 PM

I pride myself on scrapping the very ordinary every day life events that looking back at will be extraordinary... trying to capture the tiny details that I'm for sure to forget - the price of things, how long things took, test scores, etc.

Kiana 06-15-2023 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBee (Post 1063136630)
I pride myself on scrapping the very ordinary every day life events that looking back at will be extraordinary... trying to capture the tiny details that I'm for sure to forget - the price of things, how long things took, test scores, etc.

TRUE~

Quote:

Originally Posted by allyanne (Post 1063136611)

TRUE

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammybean04 (Post 1063136613)
I can rock a boy/man page with a girly kit, flowers and all. :)

TRUE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaye (Post 1063136614)

YUP True

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetChar (Post 1063136618)
I can usually make any style kit work with my boys' pictures or take a themed kit that I know I have no pictures that relate but find a twist to make it work with what I have.

So true. You rock it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Carlton (Post 1063136625)
I looove this question so much!

TRUE :p

Kiana 06-15-2023 08:11 PM

I have a ton of scrapping super powers. lol
But the main one that I think is rare is that I can scrap FAST. Pages usually take me 30 mins or less, and really if I'm pushing it, I can get one done under 15 mins. I've been timed....lol

kristalund 06-15-2023 08:15 PM

I can rock a pocket page ;)

nesser1981 06-15-2023 08:19 PM

The other thing I always consider my claim to fame is printing. All of my layouts have been printed from May 2005 through December 2021. Plus other side projects.

This is so fun. I agree Robin, it's fun to see what everyone has to say.

nesser1981 06-15-2023 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristalund (Post 1063136643)

Yes ma'am, no one does it like you! :wub:

joelsgirl 06-15-2023 08:36 PM

I am really good at scrapping myself, including my thoughts and feelings. Of the 16 layouts on the front page of my gallery, only four are events. The rest are either about me or about me processing my feelings, particularly about parenting my children over the last year which has been exceptionally challenging. Scrapping is such good therapy for me!

JillW 06-15-2023 08:39 PM

Quote:

:D:D:D:D:D

nesser1981 06-15-2023 08:41 PM

That's great Kellie, I think this is something we could all probably do more of, especially those of us that are starting to feel like our kids are getting to the point they don't want to let us take photos anymore. LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1063136651)
I am really good at scrapping myself, including my thoughts and feelings. Of the 16 layouts on the front page of my gallery, only four are events. The rest are either about me or about me processing my feelings, particularly about parenting my children over the last year which has been exceptionally challenging. Scrapping is such good therapy for me!

JillW 06-15-2023 08:42 PM

I feel like I'm pretty versatile with kits, I can use themed kits for off themed pages. I also have worked really hard to get my cluster work and shadows the way that I'm pleased with.
Like Vanessa, I'm not the best at learning new techniques. Last week I discovered something new after using the same program (Corel PSP) for 17 years, so I guess never say never!

kristalund 06-15-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

I am SO NOT GOOD at this. Kudos to you!
I love Cindy's recent templates and hope to one day use them all.
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...gle24-prev.jpg

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...addon-prev.jpg

kristalund 06-15-2023 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063136646)
The other thing I always consider my claim to fame is printing. All of my layouts have been printed from May 2005 through December 2021. Plus other side projects.

That is freaking amazing!!
I have so many LOs that need to be printed but I want to print in 12x12 albums from Shutterfly and I can't do that until a year is complete. And since I don't scrap chronologically, who knows when that will be.
I do a pretty good job of creating and printing travel/themed albums though.

nietis 06-15-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

SO TRUE!

nietis 06-15-2023 10:39 PM

Quote:

You are THE ROCK STAR of pocket page, Krista!

nietis 06-15-2023 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaye (Post 1063136614)

I always admire your gorgeous clean pages, Jo! :wub:

nietis 06-15-2023 10:43 PM

I shadow my page until it looks like it's touchable. :p

AmieN1 06-15-2023 11:26 PM

I too feel like I'm a fast scrapper- I NEVER spend more than an hour on a page- usually more like 30 mins max! I also love using lighting & photo filters!

Kiana 06-16-2023 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmieN1 (Post 1063136686)
I too feel like I'm a fast scrapper- I NEVER spend more than an hour on a page- usually more like 30 mins max! I also love using lighting & photo filters!

you have always been one of my "sisters" in scrapping fast

Kiana 06-16-2023 08:06 AM

Quote:

:wub: and they are THE BEST...hands down

Kiana 06-16-2023 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063136646)

That's awesome. I've printed all of the ones I want to print...lol
I don't scrap chrono, so there's always some photos or moments I go back and find later that I haven't done.

Quote:

That's awesome. I really should make an all about me album just for my kids reference later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nietis (Post 1063136678)
I shadow my page until it looks like it's touchable. :p

Yes ma'am you do!

HeatherH 06-16-2023 09:13 AM

Original page designs. Sometimes I use templates but I feel my best pages (and the most fun to make) are when I go rogue and just start throwing stuff on the page and moving it around.

HavaDrPepper 06-16-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillW (Post 1063136654)
Like Vanessa, I'm not the best at learning new techniques. Last week I discovered something new after using the same program (Corel PSP) for 17 years, so I guess never say never!

I've learned a lot of things about PSP in the last 18 months that have made my scrapping a heck of a lot easier. And, now that I know how to use scripts... what a difference! May have to venture into learning how to write them but when there is a terrific script maker to get them from, it is easier to let her do it! I load up when she has store sales :)

As for my scrapping power, I agree with whoever said they print their pages. I print big orders from Persnickety at least once a year and if it has been a big year for scrapping I might print twice.

I also scrap the mundane stuff. I especially like to document the ups and downs of gas prices.

nesser1981 06-16-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherH (Post 1063136733)
Original page designs. Sometimes I use templates but I feel my best pages (and the most fun to make) are when I go rogue and just start throwing stuff on the page and moving it around.

I admire this Heather, I don't even try to create original layouts anymore. I always joke and say I don't think I could scrap without a template anymore, but I'm not sure I'm joking. LOL!

Plus, I think it would slow me down. I'd second guess everything, because I don't think I'm very good that that. Before templates were as available as they are now, I did a lot of one photo pages. LOL! Like a few others have said, I consider myself to be pretty quick, typically 30 minutes or less. I did our most recent Disney trip, 149 pages in just about a month. But without a templates, it might have been years. LOL!

nesser1981 06-16-2023 10:01 AM

Absolutely, find those tricks. I don't like learning new things, but I have the things that make my process quicker, like I have actions for my shadows, they're all pretty boring I'm sure at this point because I've been using the same ones for years, but it makes it so much easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper (Post 1063136734)
I've learned a lot of things about PSP in the last 18 months that have made my scrapping a heck of a lot easier. And, now that I know how to use scripts... what a difference! May have to venture into learning how to write them but when there is a terrific script maker to get them from, it is easier to let her do it! I load up when she has store sales :)

As for my scrapping power, I agree with whoever said they print their pages. I print big orders from Persnickety at least once a year and if it has been a big year for scrapping I might print twice.

I also scrap the mundane stuff. I especially like to document the ups and downs of gas prices.

~Cindy~ 06-16-2023 10:22 AM

I am a throw everything at the page scrapper. It usually takes me at least two hours to finish a layout. I have to come back and see what else needs to be added lol!

aussiegirl 06-16-2023 01:33 PM

I feel I am a good themed kit scrapper. Even if I don't necessarily have photos that match the theme, I can pick out a couple things and make a page that works.

My kryptonite, is the amount of layouts I don't post, because they are the ones where I pick and chose so many different kits and items, but start loosing track of what I used, so they don't get posted. But they sometimes are some of my favorite pages!

Kiana 06-16-2023 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiegirl (Post 1063136751)
I feel I am a good themed kit scrapper. Even if I don't necessarily have photos that match the theme, I can pick out a couple things and make a page that works.

My kryptonite, is the amount of layouts I don't post, because they are the ones where I pick and chose so many different kits and items, but start loosing track of what I used, so they don't get posted. But they sometimes are some of my favorite pages!

If they are mostly SSD designers, you should still post them here. We'd love to see them lol

Tree City 06-16-2023 03:19 PM

This thread makes my heart happy!

I'm not a fast scrapper, but I enjoy the process so I don't mind. :) I think I'm good at mixing styles. Like, I make minimalist AJ pages--not your typical AJ page lol. And I'm good about printing. I really want my kids to see my pages, and printing is the best way. Hard drives fail. Technology changes. (Floppy disc's, anyone? lol) Cloud-storage companies go out of business or raise prices. Having actual, physical copies of my pages for my kids/family to look through means a lot to me because as much as DS is a hobby for me, the final product is a love letter to them.

bienejen 06-16-2023 04:53 PM

This is a fun thread! And I think you've all assessed your powers quite accurately! My power is organization. All my template previews are tagged with the number of photo spots and then they are sorted into folders by those numbers so once I get my photos picked, I'm off to find a template that works with that number. I also keep spreadsheets of my layouts by year with the kit and template info and thumbnail of the page.

JillW 06-16-2023 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper (Post 1063136734)

I discovered scripts a few years ago and what a difference they do make! LOL! I have created my own for simple tasks, like shadows, layering, grouping, etc etc

jacinda 06-16-2023 06:18 PM

I think journalling is one of my strengths. Although not all of my pages have a lot of text, when I DO want to do a lot of journalling it comes easy, and they end up being my favourite pages.

https://i.imgur.com/KFkLVTp.jpg

jacinda 06-16-2023 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiana (Post 1063136640)
I have a ton of scrapping super powers. lol
But the main one that I think is rare is that I can scrap FAST. Pages usually take me 30 mins or less, and really if I'm pushing it, I can get one done under 15 mins. I've been timed....lol

I can't even choose background papers that fast :p. You're amazing with the speed in which you can scrap. My pages typically take hours, even using a template.

scrappinnewbie 06-16-2023 07:10 PM

I am lovin this thread! You guys are funny and those super powers are completely accurate.

I think I might have two super powers. One is a work in progress and the other I pretty much have it conquered.

The one I am still mastering is making a spot on Disney page. Between the great templates here at SSD and our amazing Designers, I can do a fair job at making a fun Disney creation.

The power that I have managed to rock for several years now is tricky and I am very proud of myself for doing it so well.

My real super power is drinking coffee, while drooling and gawking in the SSD gallery! Yes... I can drool and drink at the same time. Some might call that slobbering, but I call it amazement over the stunning pages in the gallery! You guys create such beautiful pages. I love love love looking in the gallery. It is one of my most favorite parts of this hobby.

joelsgirl 06-16-2023 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesser1981 (Post 1063136735)
I admire this Heather, I don't even try to create original layouts anymore. I always joke and say I don't think I could scrap without a template anymore, but I'm not sure I'm joking. LOL!

Plus, I think it would slow me down. I'd second guess everything, because I don't think I'm very good that that. Before templates were as available as they are now, I did a lot of one photo pages. LOL! Like a few others have said, I consider myself to be pretty quick, typically 30 minutes or less. I did our most recent Disney trip, 149 pages in just about a month. But without a templates, it might have been years. LOL!

This is me, exactly, Vanessa! I think I've tried to make like three original layouts in the last five years, and they never turn out like I envision and they take a trillion hours of overthinking. But I admire Heather's layouts SO MUCH! I've just learned over the years that there is a difference between layouts that really inspire me and my own layouts, and that's okay.

littlekiwi 06-16-2023 11:02 PM

A few months ago I would have said I don't really have a scrapping super power but after spending three months on a site CT as a guest I think I have a few

1) Mixing and matching products
2) Clean & simple layouts with an artsy twist
3) All about me layouts
4) Being able to use templates to springboard my own layouts - I would struggle without that design kickstart

Dalis 06-17-2023 02:06 AM

creating a page with a timer! When I am crunched in time I put a timer and scrap just with the timer time. The closer the timer is to run-off I know I need to WRAP IT!!!!

angels 06-17-2023 07:53 AM

My scrapping super power? I would say the use of patterned papers... I love it, I use a lot and I think I'm pretty good with clusters :rolleyes: