Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have you ever bought anything from online ads? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95479)

DawnMarch 03-14-2022 01:23 PM

Have you ever bought anything from online ads?

I mostly think that online ads are so off-base on what I would ever buy. And I resent them and don't want to encourage them. :D Mostly, I see ads for sort of ridiculously expensive shoes and clothes, neither of which I ever buy.

BUT, one think I did buy was Mopsy -- a lightweight mop that actually is fantastic. It has changed my mopping life. :D

Have you ever bought anything from an unsolicted online ad (Facebook, Insta, etc)? Was it a good buy or did you end up regretting it?

LJSDesigns 03-14-2022 01:46 PM

I have done so in the past. Archie's flip flops. They took forever to come and in the end, I didn't like them at all. Most expensive pair of flip flops ever, for arch support, and I regret the purchase.

AmieN1 03-14-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJSDesigns (Post 1063091436)
I have done so in the past. Archie's flip flops. They took forever to come and in the end, I didn't like them at all. Most expensive pair of flip flops ever, for arch support, and I regret the purchase.

I got those too & completely agree- at least my daughter liked them so they got some use! lol!

I got a cute tshirt and while it's okay & I have worn it- it's just a weird cut & super thin material. That's the thing I hate about online clothes- you can't touch/feel before purchasing! Now I really only purchase clothing online from somewhere I know the quality, or that I have locally for easy returns.

HavaDrPepper 03-14-2022 01:58 PM

Not directly. I tend to research things and talk to others about items I've seen in ads before I purchase.

I have an adblock program that works for most websites so I don't really see ads. I've had to turn it off for several so I can view them. But the ads that show up are for things that I've been researching on my own (mainly Amazon searches).

lovely1m 03-14-2022 02:16 PM

I have bought a few things. The two most recent was a huge manicure set and a set of covid vaccine holders that were cute.

MamaBee 03-14-2022 07:20 PM

yes - and I totally regretted them. The shoes looked nothing liked the photos, one shoe was bigger than the other. I filed a complaint with paypal and lost because the company gave me the option of sending them back (which would have costed me over $50) and they would give me $10 of the $60 I spent on them.

rach3975 03-14-2022 09:09 PM

I can't think of anything right now. Maybe a book that I saw on an ad on Goodreads, but that's probably about it. I have the ad personalization settings turned off and like Dawn, I don't want to do anything to encourage online ads. I have caved for some of the Amazon Lightning deals and things like that. Mostly they were things I was already in the market for or things I didn't know existed but had to have as soon as I discovered they did. My most recent purchases were for a hard boiled egg cooker (they peel SO much more easily when I make them in there!) and a pair of water shoes for a trip next month. The shoes will be here tomorrow.

joelsgirl 03-15-2022 01:02 AM

Yes! I'm so weak when it comes to ads.

Mostly, I try out skin care. The only skin care product I've ever regretted buying online was a retinol oil and some lip colors that I got sucked into buying with it. I've tried lots of things I didn't love, but I wouldn't say I regret buying them.

Recently, I bought some cloth menstrual pads that I LOVE. But I've bought clothes from ads enough times to know that I really need to try it on, no matter how awesome it looks.

I always feel like random ads give me the opportunity to try new things, so I'm really a fan. (Though I'm also really glad when the ads are way off so I'm not tempted, lol.)

KingsQueen82 03-15-2022 07:44 AM

Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. I saw an IG post about those Archie's sandals so I was thinking about ordering some. B/c yes, I am also easily influenced by online ads. Lol... They're expensive though and I don't seem to have good luck with shoe sizing for any of us so in-person really is best for us!

bienejen 03-15-2022 09:08 AM

I've bought a few things and been happy with them. I'm very picky on clothes/shoes so that would always be a pass for me. My favorite is the Plum Deluxe tea store I've been buying from. I saw an ad right at the start of Covid about their Tea of the Month club and I've been hooked ever since.

Karen_ 03-15-2022 10:08 AM

I can't say that I've ever bought something that I saw for the first time from and ad, but if I'm in the market for something and have been searching online and I see something similar pop up or something exactly like I have recently searched for, I have been know to click through and decide to buy then.

StacyLynn 03-15-2022 01:27 PM

I don't usually buy from ads online..... but two weeks ago I ordered some dresses from a FB ad....they haven't come in yet, so I don't know if I like them. lol. I think delivery was approx 4 weeks ...

YepBrook 03-15-2022 04:43 PM

I started seeing ads for cellphone cases because my husband said that I "needed a new case" to me several times and I think my phone is listening to me! Seriously! Despite my inner voice saying CREEPY NO - I clicked the ad for Casely after seeing it a few days and ended up buying 3 cases- one for me, my son and daughter. Super affordable and I really like the quality- my case before was a pop-socket OtterBox, so I'm not one for cheapy cases. I got the strawberry patterned one in the thicker version (I think they call it deluxe).

bienejen 03-15-2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YepBrook (Post 1063091578)
I started seeing ads for cellphone cases because my husband said that I "needed a new case" to me several times and I think my phone is listening to me! Seriously! Despite my inner voice saying CREEPY NO - I clicked the ad for Casely after seeing it a few days and ended up buying 3 cases- one for me, my son and daughter. Super affordable and I really like the quality- my case before was a pop-socket OtterBox, so I'm not one for cheapy cases. I got the strawberry patterned one in the thicker version (I think they call it deluxe).

I definitely believe my phone is listening. There are too many coincidences of ads popping up when something has been mentioned in my house! lol

flergs 03-17-2022 01:28 AM

I bought a huge bean bag (lovesac) from an Instagram ad. It never came, but I did get a very weird package from China with a lace doily in it. When I tried to dispute with Paypal that my RikiSunny order did not come, they showed me it did & closed the case... it was the lace doily & I was scammed. :cursing:

Sherri Tierney 03-17-2022 01:42 AM

I bought a dress at Christmas time that had a Grinch face on it. I ended up liking it and it arrived in time. I'll wear it at school each Christmas.

DaniW 03-25-2022 07:07 PM

I'm a sucker for ads and I've had some good experiences and some major fails lol!! Personalized shampoo, fail. Contraption for helping you take winter boots off, fail. Just bought a hoodie for my dog after seeing the ads on IG and it is adorable on her!! Also finally caved and bought some pricy bamboo pjs from This is J and I've been very happy with them.

I think my very best pandemic purchase, though I can't recall if I originally saw this in an ad, was Souper Cubes. They're amazing - they are silicone trays for freezing food in different portion sizes. They've completely changed the way I freeze leftovers and have been fantastic for lunches while working from home. Highly recommend them!!

SeattleSheri 03-25-2022 09:15 PM

It's probably happened before, but I can't actually remember a specific circumstance where I pulled the trigger. I will say that sometimes the ads prompt me to research a product and I end up going with another brand, lol.

Pachimac 03-26-2022 06:41 AM

A snuggly dog bed.