Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rest Towel? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65406)

lovely1m 07-22-2012 09:38 AM

Rest Towel?

We are going to buy my soon to be kindergartner's school supplies today. The list calls for a 'rest towel (beach towel size)'. Do they literally mean a beach towel or is there some product I don't know about for this?

Robin Carlton 07-22-2012 09:39 AM

They literally mean a beach towel. They'll spread them out on the classroom floor for quiet time and send them home once a week for you to wash.

lovely1m 07-22-2012 09:45 AM

Good to know. Thanks, Robin! It just seemed weird to buy a beach towel for school.

Happy Now 07-22-2012 10:01 AM

My son had "read, write, and rest" time in Kindergarten last year too. It may be a mandatory requirement for full-day programs...

Anyway, just a note... We bought a new beach towel for him as per the supply list, and his teacher (at Orientation) actually mentioned that she preferred nap mats to towels for cleanliness purposes... Easier for her to wipe down the mats periodically than to send the towels home to be laundered. We found a mat at a teacher store for $10, and later at Target once all of the school supplies craziness began. May be something you want to consider or ask about!

Sherri Tierney 07-22-2012 11:29 AM

Wow, you learn something new every day. I've never heard of such a thing!

We have full day kindergarten but there is definitely no 'rest' time. Walmart sold mats during back to school time but they must've been for kids in other surrounding districts because our kiddos don't use them. It's all so different from when I went to kindergarten where we only went half a day and STILL had 'nap' time. We also didn't learn a darn thing in kindergarten then and our kids are reading, writing and doing math problems that I didn't learn until 2nd grade.

nesser1981 07-22-2012 12:41 PM

There was rest time when I was in school, but Keira didn't have it. You can find mats at Target in the school supplies too. I bought one when Keira was starting school, but didn't need it.

Libby Pritchett 07-22-2012 12:57 PM

I bought a mat for my older daughter when she was in kindy (she's 14 now). The way they did it back then was that at the start of the year they had rest time. They gradually lessened the length, and by semester, they had done away with it altogether.

MamaBee 07-22-2012 01:11 PM

I still have my nap mat from kindy... haha.... my mom kept everything. :)

MommaTrish 07-22-2012 03:49 PM

They have these cot things (we use them at my PDO also) that they use at our elementary school, and the boys had to both take in two towels, one to lay on and one to cover up with.

lovely1m 07-22-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info, girls!

rachaelsscraps 07-22-2012 06:38 PM

I've never heard of this. But the preschools here had mats that they used and wiped down after each use. The kindergarteners here don't take naps.

rach3975 07-22-2012 07:22 PM

They do a 30 minute rest time in our full day K, and they gradually shorten it until there's no rest time by the spring. We use beach towels and they get sent home every Friday for washing. I'm guessing that if someone brought a mat in, they'd still send it home for the parents to clean.

kscwgirl 07-22-2012 08:16 PM

We sent towels too, they had rest time until the end of the first semester and then they didn't do it anymore.

cardinalskate 07-23-2012 08:31 AM

I guess for a lot of districts, a towel makes a lot more sense if they're going to ween the kids off of "rest time." At least it can be used after it's not needed at school anymore. Not sure what I'd use a nap mat for (unless it's big enough to put under my desk at work. THEN I'd know exactly what to do with it :))

chastml 07-23-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalskate (Post 1014616)
I guess for a lot of districts, a towel makes a lot more sense if they're going to ween the kids off of "rest time." At least it can be used after it's not needed at school anymore. Not sure what I'd use a nap mat for (unless it's big enough to put under my desk at work. THEN I'd know exactly what to do with it :))

My kids had destroyed their kindermats by the end of the year. So, it wasn't an issue. They just went in the trash.

Our school district has all day kindergarten with nap time all year. I thought that was weird. I went to all day kindergarten, but we stopped having nap time by the end of the first semester.

Sherri Tierney 07-23-2012 10:13 PM

I would love nap time every day. :) My kindergartener came home tired every single day. Like I said before, no nap or rest time for them and it showed. So often he pleaded with me, "can't I just go 3 days a week like I did in preschool?" LOL

mummytothree 07-23-2012 11:11 PM

I'll mention this but it may or may not help you!! :D For my last two kids that have needed towels for kindergarten, what I did was buy the LARGE bath towels at Wal Mart. I bought two so "just in case" I didn't get the one washed to go back to school on Monday I had an extra!!! :D :D Now grant it I have more kids and I had a newborn during both those rounds of kindergarten.....but they were only like $7 bucks and that extra towel saved my butt many a Monday mornings!!! :p

:D :D

Oh and both my kiddo's had "rest time" the whole year!!! :thumbup:

abm234 07-24-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mummytothree (Post 1014786)
I'll mention this but it may or may not help you!! :D For my last two kids that have needed towels for kindergarten, what I did was buy the LARGE bath towels at Wal Mart. I bought two so "just in case" I didn't get the one washed to go back to school on Monday I had an extra!!! :D :D Now grant it I have more kids and I had a newborn during both those rounds of kindergarten.....but they were only like $7 bucks and that extra towel saved my butt many a Monday mornings!!! :p

:D :D

Oh and both my kiddo's had "rest time" the whole year!!! :thumbup:

That is a brilliant idea! Why the heck didn't I do that? Mine had some obnoxiously colored precious to them beach towel and a second different one would not have worked! Definitely buy two!

melvinjoe 09-17-2020 03:49 AM

Beach towels size should be larger than normal towels. It would be the great exposure for us.

KristinCB 09-17-2020 09:43 AM

awwww mari.. it's been 8 years? have you found a towel yet LOL. If not the spammer can help :P

lovely1m 09-17-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinCB (Post 1063018316)
awwww mari.. it's been 8 years? have you found a towel yet LOL. If not the spammer can help :P

OMG. I saw this and was like wth is a rest towel. He's in 8th grade now. I think he's good. :D:D