Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which camera? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30348)

Mandy 06-22-2009 10:12 AM

Which camera?

My oldest daughter's birthday is coming up and she's wanting her own P&S camera.
She had a Sanyo (before the dog ate it :thumbdown: ) or something equally as crummy from Walmart but she's really started taking an interest in photography and so I thought I'd get her something a little more advanced than the Sanyo, something portable and something somewhat cheap. I'm thinking of upgrading my SLR next year so she'd inherit my Rebel 300D and I want to prepare her and let her get some practice in before that.

So I'm deciding on three cameras.
The Sony Cybershot, the Nikon Coolpix and the Canon Powershot. All 3 are 10mp and cost around the same amt.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these?
I'd like to hear what people think.
Thanks!

meganmecrazy 06-22-2009 10:17 AM

My two cousins both have a Nikon Coolpix and hate it! I haven't used it before but I know they hate it. My neighbor has a Sony Cybershot and has had it for such a long time and LOVES it. And the Canon Powershot was always a P&S I wanted to buy but ended up never getting one because my aunt bought me a Olympus Stylus P&S 2 or 3 years ago. But just IMO I'd go with either the Cybershot or Powershot.

Leila 06-22-2009 10:21 AM

I had a Coolpix 5700 in 2003, that I finally gave to a friend a couple years back. Great camera, easy to use--loved it. My friend replaced it recently, but only because her husband dropped it and crushed the lens (it was a semi-SLR) to where it couldn't be used.

DH has a Powershot G1 (yes, I know it's ancient) that still works. We don't use it since it's only 3.3MP, but it does work well.

I have no experience with Cybershots. I'd lean towards a Coolpix or Powershot based on my personal experience.

ditzyscrap 06-22-2009 10:23 AM

I've got a PowerShot (S3IS) and I love it...I'm assuming you're looking at something smaller, but I really like my Canon!

KristinCB 06-22-2009 10:38 AM

I am a nikon girl for DSLR but canon powershots are the best for P&S.

HeatherKS 06-22-2009 10:56 AM

Canon Powershot definitely! I've had three (camera whore ;) ) and I've loved every one of them! :thumbup: My most recent was a Canon G6 and I still use it when I don't want to lug my Rebel around. It takes great pictures and is super easy to use! :thumbup:

krystalhartley 06-22-2009 11:30 AM

Powershot bandwagon here. I think it's hard to go wrong with that choice.

ZaCola3 06-22-2009 12:12 PM

I love my little Fuji Fine Pix-It is the third Fuji PnS I have owned and if I ever buy another it will be a Fuji as well-I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the quality of my pictures-the ease of use and the price tag isn't so bad either!

Megan Turnidge 06-22-2009 12:41 PM

I *heart* my Canon Powershot!!

Jennilyn 06-22-2009 09:29 PM

I have this Canon Powershot and love it! It gets the best results in outdoor lighting, which is usually when I use it because I keep it in my purse.

crystalbella77 06-22-2009 10:33 PM

I have been doing tons of research on cameras and the Canon Powershots are usually the most recommended. I have the S3IS and it's a fine camera but it's dead after having it only 2 years. :( My sister LOVES her Nikon Coolpix and my Mom has a Powershot in the mail actually because everything she could find said that the Powershots were better.... :D :D :D :D

suze 06-22-2009 11:19 PM

I Heart my Sony Cybershot!

takes fantastic photos and very simple to use. Also they allow for some fun colors.