Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Something to make you go Hmmmm..... (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19968)

wildblueeyez 12-04-2008 12:44 AM

Something to make you go Hmmmm.....

Ok, so late last night I was working on my Grinch dust which was just sugar and green food coloring. Our sugar supply was REALLY low and I knew we needed what was left for our morning coffee. I was in my Jammies and didn't want to go back out. So, I decided to substitute in a box of Splenda that we had taking up space in my pantry. After all, Splenda claims that "It's made from sugar. It tastes like sugar. but it's not sugar"

So, I pour some Splenda in a bowl and proceed to add about 5 drops of green food coloring. And much to my amazement, the reaction could only be compared to putting drops of acid on styrofoam. the food coloring looked like it was eating it's way down through the pile of Splenda. And then I stirred it, trying to mix the color. The food coloring drops all made their way together and met to make one big ball of green food coloring. and the Splenda stayed white. no amount of mixing was going to get the Splenda to turn green LOL....

So, with that in mind... I couldn't help but think "people actually consume this stuff???" LOL

Oh, and I ended up driving to the store in my jammies and making my 15 year old run in for sugar LOL...

Kim 12-04-2008 12:48 AM

weeeeirrrrrddddd
:blink:
I dont like splenda so dont eat it... but definitely food for thought

Jenn Barrette 12-04-2008 12:50 AM

Just found this:

"The sweetness of Splenda derives from a chlorocarbon chemical that contains three atoms of chlorine in every one of its molecules."

Yummy...

iJenny 12-04-2008 12:51 AM

yeah, splenda is definately *not* sugar. lol

DH uses it because he is diabetic and its funny how different it is. First, it weighs about 3 times less than sugar. A huge 5lb sack of sugar would only be, maybe 10 oz of Splenda. Also, it fizzes when you put it in most liquids. FIZZES!!

Splenda is certainly not equal to sugar. lol

meems 12-04-2008 12:52 AM

strange. i wonder how Nutrasweet would react?

Personally I don't like the taste of Splenda. Give me aspartame. :p

ditzyscrap 12-04-2008 12:52 AM

LOL...yikes.

SeattleSheri 12-04-2008 12:56 AM

Sounds like a science experiment, lol.

**Holly** 12-04-2008 01:35 AM

Lol I like Splenda...haha although I am not sure i will use it anymore... :blink:

Voodoo_Bryn 12-04-2008 02:10 AM

I adore Splenda. I have a big ragin' sweettooth so no diet in the world would have worked and along came Splenda. It's just the chemical makeup of the sweetness of sugar, if it were actual sugar, it would have calories and the naughty glucose that diabetics can't take. Aspartame scares the begeez outta me, so I'll pass on the blue or pink packages...
but Splenda... :wub:

Brooke W 12-04-2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo_Bryn (Post 313679)
I adore Splenda. I have a big ragin' sweettooth so no diet in the world would have worked and along came Splenda. It's just the chemical makeup of the sweetness of sugar, if it were actual sugar, it would have calories and the naughty glucose that diabetics can't take. Aspartame scares the begeez outta me, so I'll pass on the blue or pink packages...

I love it too. And i've yet to see it fizz when i put it in my tea or coffee,lol.

Amber1279 12-04-2008 02:56 AM

I have only had it "fizz" in hot liquid ... I just added some to my Iced Tea and it was fine

lhaslem 12-04-2008 09:24 AM

weird....and kinda creepy:)

~Julie~ 12-04-2008 09:49 AM

Hmmmm very interesting. My mom uses splenda all the time.

ColleenSwerb 12-04-2008 10:01 AM

Ew! That's freaking gross. I :wub: plain old sugar.

scarletsierra 12-04-2008 11:18 AM

The real question is what is this "grinch dust" you speak of? Did I miss the boat on this? What are you using it for?

kscwgirl 12-04-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarletsierra (Post 313871)
The real question is what is this "grinch dust" you speak of? Did I miss the boat on this? What are you using it for?

It's on Penny's blog... yesterday's post. :)

Shawna 12-04-2008 11:37 AM

That is just wierd! We go for the good ol' regular sugar here, but I know my Stepmom & Grandma both use Splenda since they're both diabetic.

wildblueeyez 12-04-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kscwgirl (Post 313872)
It's on Penny's blog... yesterday's post. :)

thanks Sara! :)

Jennifer 12-04-2008 12:29 PM

Yikes! That's soooooo cool!

Paula 12-04-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo_Bryn (Post 313679)

I love it too and what's in it doesn't bother me since there is trace elements in almost everything you eat. It's much healthier than sugar according to my doctor and there is nothing harmful about it unlike Sweet-n-low which has aspartame in it - a known carcinogen.

lizzyfizzy 12-04-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meems (Post 313634)
Give me aspartame. :p

teehee. :D preach it.

really is crazy, luann, how we put so many chemicals into our bodies. that is not good...the whole splenda/chlorine (wasn't it?!??) situation.