Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you enjoy going to museums? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95839)

Rikki 06-13-2022 12:52 PM

Do you enjoy going to museums?

Do you enjoy going to museums?

Ever since our trip to Munich in April I am totally crazy about going to museums on weekends (and I am dragging my son along who really is not interested in ANYTHING - trying to find something he does enjoy).

I am lucky because in our city there are plenty of museums with so many different things to see and learn about - it is insane. Do you have museums where you live? Do you like going there?

The absolute highlight was seeing some original paintings of Vincent van Gogh (that was in Munich). So far I only knew them from books or the internet and they are so much more beautiful in real life, I cried (the "Vincent" signature killed me! Now my plan is to go to Amsterdam to visit the van Gogh museum - and bring plenty of tissues.

Here are a few of the things I have seen lately (but there are tons more):

An art event in my city
https://i.postimg.cc/bv8T4LJv/20220506-204923sm.jpg

Old musical instruments
https://i.postimg.cc/SKrr482f/20220515-131320sm.jpg

at the medieval imperial castle
https://i.postimg.cc/k4Yv6myV/20220526-130837sm.jpg

Sunflowers
https://i.postimg.cc/B6nCn629/20220415-111000sm.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/YCQRXTtV/20220415-111013sm.jpg

Kjersti 06-13-2022 01:03 PM

Another museum lover here!!
I dragged my daughter to so many exhibits she became an art history major and wants to be a museum curator!! :)

HavaDrPepper 06-13-2022 02:23 PM

I would have to go elsewhere to go to museums. Well, I should clarify. There is one museum in my town. I played in the band at the dedication in 1972. My first visit to the museum was in 2009. I did a quick walk through when it was free to the public during the annual Moon Festival. So many people, it was hard to enjoy it or even see many things.

But I did another visit with my cousin and her 2 granddaughters in 2019 when they came to town for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. It wasn't as crowded since it was 2 weeks after the Moon Festival and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, especially with the 2 girls, ages 8 and 5.

There wasn't much there in the beginning but over the years more has been collected and added to the exhibitions. Just this week an airplane that Neil Armstrong set some records in was installed outside the museum. And, yes, there is a moon rock there. Small but there!

Sherri Tierney 06-13-2022 03:48 PM

I guess it would depend on what kind of museum. I'm not typically a huge fan of museums unless the content of the displays is something that is relevant to me. We have a museum here in town. I have been a few times and its mostly just old 'junk' in my eyes. I do like things like old photographs of the city though. We went to a Dukes of Hazard museum once, and I found it so cool, but the contents were relevant to me. We went to a toy museum that I loved too. It was so cool looking at it all and pointing out all the different ones that were like those I had. I've been to various art museums and such and while I might enjoy a piece here and there, I spend most of the time feeling like I have better things to do.

StacyLynn 06-13-2022 05:00 PM

I love love love museums. My hubby does not, so I don't get to go as often as I would like.
I love art and history and kid stuff and almost anything fun.
My grandmom used to always take me when I was little and I went to The Art Museum of Philadelphia a handful of times as a teen. As a mom I volunteered on every class trip to a museum.

StacyLynn 06-13-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney (Post 1063100687)
I guess it would depend on what kind of museum. I'm not typically a huge fan of museums unless the content of the displays is something that is relevant to me. We have a museum here in town. I have been a few times and its mostly just old 'junk' in my eyes. I do like things like old photographs of the city though. We went to a Dukes of Hazard museum once, and I found it so cool, but the contents were relevant to me. We went to a toy museum that I loved too. It was so cool looking at it all and pointing out all the different ones that were like those I had. I've been to various art museums and such and while I might enjoy a piece here and there, I spend most of the time feeling like I have better things to do.

Was the Dukes of Hazard one in Tennessee??? I went to the
one there about 10 years ago.

Cherylny 06-13-2022 06:56 PM

I adore going to museums! When we lived in the Detroit area, we went to The Detroit Institute of Art about once a month..They had "Brunch With Bach on Sundays" and of course, the music was Bach and they played in the center, open court. Our kids have fond memories of going there.

We also lived about an hour away from the Henry Fort Museum and Greenfield Village. It was wonderful to take the family there and spend a day going back in time.

In Florida, we had a Robert Rauschenberg Museum in Ft. Myers and that was fabulous! It was on the campus of the Barbara B. Mann Theater and that was THE place to go to watch live performances. If we wanted to drive for an hour, we had the Dahli Museum and there was a Museum of Photography near us, as well.

rach3975 06-13-2022 07:50 PM

I love history and science museums, but you couldn't drag me to an art museum! Living near Washington, DC we have the Smithsonian and a lot of smaller museums. We're spoiled by the Smithsonian because they're free to get into. Although we love visiting museums when we travel, they often seem so expensive!

joelsgirl 06-14-2022 07:12 AM

I love museums! We’re in DC right now, and I have boarded my family to death at the museum of natural history and the museum of American history because I want to read all the placards and see all the things, while my husband just wants to check off his list that he went to the museums.

The absolute best museum I’ve ever been to is the D-Day museum in New Orleans. It has letters that soldiers wrote home to their moms and girlfriends and families, and you really get a feeling for how terrible the war was. Plus, it feels like their stories deserve to be heard.

Even in our city in the Philippines we have a tiny city museum, and I learned so much about the history of the area from going there. I recommended it to a friend, and he said, “That was the most boring thing I’ve ever done!” So I don’t know if I just had a really good tour guide or if I’m just kind of a weirdo about museums, lol.

HavaDrPepper 06-14-2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 1063100701)
I love history and science museums, but you couldn't drag me to an art museum! Living near Washington, DC we have the Smithsonian and a lot of smaller museums. We're spoiled by the Smithsonian because they're free to get into. Although we love visiting museums when we travel, they often seem so expensive!

I went with my Dad to his Navy reunion in DC back in 1996. On the one free afternoon we had, we made it a point to go to the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. Mainly because of the history of the space program and how it is all around us in Wapak. But one of the other exhibitions caught Dad's eye and he actually had a tear coming from his eye because of it. It was where you could watch the newsreels that had been shown before movies in the old days. One selection was the "Battle of Leyte Gulf". He pressed the button and we watched. We were quiet and then he said "That's when Hank died". Hank was his brother that was killed during that battle when his ship was hit with debris from the carrier Princeton that was on fire. Then the tear came. Very powerful moment for me since I got to share it with my Dad.

bienejen 06-14-2022 08:42 AM

I generally enjoy them. Of course I find some exhibits more interesting than others. I really enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago but can breeze through the Field Museum pretty quickly. Our Public Museum in Grand Rapids has had some cool temporary exhibits including a toys through the decades exhibit that was really fun!

MamaBee 06-14-2022 10:04 AM

I love museums... and really only go to them when we are traveling - I drag my family to them all the time. haha. The odder the better! I was sad that I couldn't go to the museum about funerals in Houston when we were in Galveston over winter - we had decided to stay on the island for the whole trip.

Our town has a few museums and we have been to them a lot. My son is a docent for our local science center (used to be the paper discovery center - now more science related)... and my husband is the chair of their non-profit board.

Kimberly27 06-14-2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1063100720)
I love museums! We’re in DC right now, and I have boarded my family to death at the museum of natural history and the museum of American history because I want to read all the placards and see all the things, while my husband just wants to check off his list that he went to the museums.

The absolute best museum I’ve ever been to is the D-Day museum in New Orleans. It has letters that soldiers wrote home to their moms and girlfriends and families, and you really get a feeling for how terrible the war was. Plus, it feels like their stories deserve to be heard.

Even in our city in the Philippines we have a tiny city museum, and I learned so much about the history of the area from going there. I recommended it to a friend, and he said, “That was the most boring thing I’ve ever done!” So I don’t know if I just had a really good tour guide or if I’m just kind of a weirdo about museums, lol.

I love museums. DC is awesome...kids loved the spy museum! I enjoy being outdoors too but it is fun to hit the museums/visitor centers before we head out on a trail to know what animals or plants we might find too. I did a field trip in 7th grade with school. My Dad was a chaperone and it was art museums for us. He loves art and teaching us about it. 7th grade boys in an art museum...welp that was a different story. I love, love History. The history musuems, presidential library, Ford Theatre...love all that too. We try to visit historical monuments/sites as well as national parks

Ponytails 06-14-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjersti (Post 1063100680)
I dragged my daughter to so many exhibits she became an art history major and wants to be a museum curator!! :)

If I could do it all over again, this is what I would do too!

I actually prefer going to museums by myself because then I can take my time and read all the things. I studied English Lit and History in University, but took a couple of elective art history classes. That's where it all really came alive for me. They were my favourite classes!

I went to the Met in New York years ago on a high school trip and was amazed at the art I saw there.

Rikki 06-16-2022 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjersti (Post 1063100680)

Ha, this is my goal as well. Not necessarily that he becomes an art historian, but at least spark some interest.

Rikki 06-16-2022 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1063100720)

Tour guides make a big difference. I took a short tour the other day and that guide just LOVED his job. His enthusiasm was totally contagious.

Rikki 06-16-2022 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponytails (Post 1063100760)

I actually prefer going to museums by myself because then I can take my time and read all the things. I studied English Lit and History in University, but took a couple of elective art history classes. That's where it all really came alive for me. They were my favourite classes!

I went to the Met in New York years ago on a high school trip and was amazed at the art I saw there.

I agree, nothing is worse than having a bored teenager by your side. I speak from experience :)

bienejen 06-20-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBee (Post 1063100728)
Our town has a few museums and we have been to them a lot. My son is a docent for our local science center (used to be the paper discovery center - now more science related)... and my husband is the chair of their non-profit board.

Such a small world! My grandpa worked at a paper mill in Appleton back in the 50s/60s/70s.

lovely1m 06-20-2022 01:29 PM

We really enjoy museums. We don't have much here but we do go to the local art museum once a year or so. On vacation though, we often visit them. We just saw the museum and tar pits at La Brea.

cherrygutz 06-20-2022 06:37 PM

YES! Aside from it's quiet, I love everything old. I have an old soul, I love how things have a lot of stories to tell, either of that specific thing or of the place where the thing came from.

lizziej 07-04-2022 07:25 PM

I love museums! It stated off when I was in elementary school in San Antonio, and we would go to the McNay Art Museum as a field trip. I remember buying postcards of some of the paintings. As an adult, before I moved away, my parents and I went to the San Antonio Museum of Art. As I recall, they were having a special Egyptian exhibit where the artifacts were over 5,000 years old. That was so incredible to me. It was thrilling for me to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York - the Tiffany exhibit was fabulous! That was over 30 years ago.

My SIL and I like to go to the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth. It was there that we saw a special exhibit of Impressionist paintings (my favorites), especially Monet. We went another time and saw one of my favorite paintings, On the Terrace by Renoir. They roped it off so we could not get up close, but I was in such awe to see it in person! I think that's the time we saw some Van Gogh paintings - I was in awe as well.

We went to a fantastic Natural History Museum at University of Oklahoma. The dinosaurs exhibits was one of the best we've seen. My son loved dinosaurs, and I think he still does. We went to the Perot Museum in Dallas, and that was a great museum with another awesome dinosaur exhibit. It was better than the special dinosaurs exhibit that we went to see. I've been to other museums as well, including The Toy & Action Figure Museum in Oklahoma.

Due to COVID, I haven't been to any museum since before 2020.

Dalis 07-05-2022 01:16 AM

It's my favorite thing to do on trips!!!!!! Especially if they are art museums!

renatasluis 07-05-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 1063100701)

Same here.
And we visited the Walt Disney museum in San Fransisco.
Museums like that are ok for us.