Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sweet Reads-Book Club (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Kindle Unlimited!! (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78183)

nikkiARNGwife 07-18-2014 12:01 PM

Kindle Unlimited!!

Is here!! 9.99 a month and free trial for 30 days....I've browsed through the available books some and it seems totally worth it :)

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks..._s_kin_n8wxuo#

NeverendingJen 07-18-2014 12:53 PM

I'm going to be watching this one for sure. Definitely might be worth it!

MissKim 07-18-2014 01:23 PM

I don't know that I read enough to make it worthwhile (although I love to read) and I have this issue about wanting to own every book that I enjoy. I reread more often than I read something new. I may wait on this.... it may be something I do during the summer like Netflix.

Julie Billingsley 07-18-2014 01:34 PM

oooh, I'm really interested! sadly, with school, pleasure reading takes a very back burner. But as soon as I graduate, I'm all over this!

Libby Pritchett 07-18-2014 01:34 PM

Oh interesting! I only read about 2 books a month max, and between the hundreds I've already got on my device (unread), Kindle Prime lending, my local library lending, and Kindle First, I've got plenty to read. For $10 a month, I could just buy a book if I found one that I really wanted to read.

But I can definitely see where someone who reads more would find it to be a great deal. I'd definitely consider it if things slowed down for me at some point and I'm starting to read more again.

rach3975 07-18-2014 02:21 PM

I have to look into the specific books, but I'm probably in! I read about 8-10 books a month, and lots of them are self published books that may be included.

Lyd 07-18-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett (Post 1062687647)
Oh interesting! I only read about 2 books a month max, and between the hundreds I've already got on my device (unread), Kindle Prime lending, my local library lending, and Kindle First, I've got plenty to read. For $10 a month, I could just buy a book if I found one that I really wanted to read.

But I can definitely see where someone who reads more would find it to be a great deal. I'd definitely consider it if things slowed down for me at some point and I'm starting to read more again.

This is me too. It looks cool, but right now, I already have tons of books that I already paid for that I need to read, not to mention all the free ones waiting in line. But, if I was reading a lot every month, I would definitely want to do this. I'll be keeping an eye on it for the future.

navaja77 07-18-2014 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try it out but I doubt I'm gonna keep it. I borrow enough from my library and I'm thinking to buy a membership to a much bigger library (which is out of my area) in order to gain access to more e-books than my library provides.

tanyiadeskins 07-18-2014 08:50 PM

oh this is probably enough to make me cancel Oyster... which is basically the same deal but they have less available titles. I am going to have to compare, thanks for the info!

rach3975 07-18-2014 08:56 PM

Just signed up for the free trial. I'm excited! Looks like some audio books are included, too.

carrie1977 07-19-2014 12:14 AM

Will definitely be looking into this more!! Very cool!

origami 07-19-2014 09:58 AM

Also checking out the free trial. Oyster has a great app with excellent search features. Amazon's Kindle Unlimited seems a bit harder to navigate. It's not so easy to browse.

Stacey42 07-19-2014 11:46 AM

I've got it. Like the Kindle itself was back when it first came out there is a hit or miss quality to what is available but a decent selection is there.

A bunch of older titles, like pre-kindle existance older titles, that have only been recently appearing on the kindle are in the Unlimited. This is fine for me as I have read some of them when they were 99 cents but don't think they are worth $5.99 each and I don't have the patience to wait a whole month before I can borrow another book. I read 10-15 books a month and easily spend more than $10 doing it even though I stick to the library or spending under $3 for 95% of them.

But new titles or popular authors that I am willing to spend $10 a book for are not there. Yet anyway.

It meets my pages to cost ratio also and solves a problem for me there. I won't pay $5.99 for 130 pages of anything. Or even $2.99. I'm barely willing to pay 99 cents for that few pages. A bunch of books I'd like to read want $2.99 to $6.99 for 130-18 pages and I'm much too cheap to pay it, even though I want to read the books. Most of them are available on Unlimited. :)

I like that I can 'borrow' more than one book at a time. I can get all 5 books in a series downloaded and blow through them without pause. :) It is tricky online to just search for Unlimited books but from the kindle itself I find it easy. And if you are just searching for a book and that book happens to be an Unlimited one, then the "Read for Free" button just appears anyway.

And there are free Audible books! If you are a member already you get 3 free credits added to your account, if you aren't already an Audible member you get 3 free months.

I don't know if I will keep it long term, that depends on title availability, but I can see getting a couple months out of it right now

Shawna 07-19-2014 01:04 PM

I went ahead and did the 30 day free trial and I'm pretty excited about trying it out! Not sure if I'll keep it long-term but I think the price isn't too bad as long as I can find enough books from what's available that I want to read. I read a lot, like an average of 3-5 (or more) books in a week and because I read so quickly I rarely pay more than $.99 for a book on sale. So I was pretty excited to download all 8 books in a series with Kindle Unlimited that have been on my TBR list that would have cost me $2.99 each to buy since they've never been on sale for less than that. I think it's awesome that you can download as many books as you want at a time, I love reading through an entire series at once so that will make it super easy!

nikkiARNGwife 07-19-2014 02:38 PM

I read between 10-15 books a month usually so I'm all on it lol

rach3975 07-19-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawna (Post 1062687912)
I think it's awesome that you can download as many books as you want at a time, I love reading through an entire series at once so that will make it super easy!

I like to read the books in a series back to back like that too, and it's hard to do through my library. If they have a particular series at all, they may only have half the books, and with the e-book waiting lists I inevitably end up with some of the later books being due before I get some that came earlier in the series. My book choices for the past few years have been heavily influenced by what the library has and what I can buy inexpensively. I'm hoping Kindle Unlimited will solve all that. And since it only uses up half my book budget for the month, I can still buy some books that aren't available through it.

Shawna 07-19-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach3975 (Post 1062687943)
If they have a particular series at all, they may only have half the books, and with the e-book waiting lists I inevitably end up with some of the later books being due before I get some that came earlier in the series.

Yes this always happens to me too when I'm trying to read an entire series and it's very frustrating!!

rach3975 07-20-2014 10:11 AM

I was so excited about Kindle Unlimited, but I'm doing the free trial right now and probably won't be continuing afterward. The selection doesn't seem very good. Most of the books I've looked up (both self published and traditionally published) aren't available. When I browse I can find some things to read, but if they're part of a series often only 1 or 2 books from the series are on KU. I'm hoping the selection improves, but we'll see.

MissKim 07-20-2014 11:35 AM

I did read where new releases won't be on Kindle Unlimited (don't know if this is true, just read it in a review). Probably 90% of what I read is new releases from my favorite authors, so it won't help me much to have Unlimited. I'd rather put the $10 towards 1 new release, but that's how I read. I can understand if you read a lot of older books that it would be a great deal.

Lyd 07-20-2014 05:10 PM

Seems to me most of the KU titles are available in the lending library, so you're basically just paying for the ability to have more than one a month.

I'll be keeping an eye on it and hoping the selection improves.

origami 07-21-2014 12:28 PM

Oyster and Scribd have similar services via iOS and Android apps. The cost is comparable with a month trial. Oyster has a better selection of books than Amazon Unlimited. Amazon Unlimited includes many of their their independent titles. I imagine that Amazon is likely to improve their selection over time, like Oyster. I've noticed that our library's selection on the Overdrive app seems to have diminished over time. However, at the same time our library carries magazines for free on the Zinio app.

Stacey42 07-22-2014 12:54 PM

Right now the problem with Amazon Unlimited as far as book selection goes is they have to be exclusive to Amazon to be part of Unlimited & people making a decent sum with B&N, iBooks and others are naturally unwilling to participate.

But I've blown through 9 books (two whole series) in 4 days, which I've never been able to do with Overdrive due to waitlists & lack of selection & not being able to have more than 2 books out at a time. So this free trial is a total win for me to this point. :)

britaneejean 07-22-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey42 (Post 1062688285)
But I've blown through 9 books (two whole series) in 4 days, which I've never been able to do with Overdrive due to waitlists & lack of selection & not being able to have more than 2 books out at a time. So this free trial is a total win for me to this point. :)

me too! the free trial has been great so far :)

Shawna 07-22-2014 11:37 PM

I think it really just depends on what genres you read most for how good of a selection you'll find. I typically read books in the romance > new adult & college category & books by popular indie authors and so far I've been able to find lots of books available from more than 20 authors that I love. So the trial has been great for me so far, I'm already on book #4 in just a few days and have a list going of what I want to read next! Also I did notice that it caps you out at having 10 books out at a time.