Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Back up photos with Prime (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91035)

Leablahblah 07-07-2019 05:11 PM

Back up photos with Prime

Are any of you using Amazon Prime to back up your photos and files? Actually now I'm not sure if it's just for photos or if you can include files.

Just trying to consider my options for online backup and since I have Prime already... it might be a good option.

nesser1981 07-07-2019 06:55 PM

It's unlimited for photos, but there is a limit for files and videos.

KristinCB 07-07-2019 07:21 PM

Oh I didn't know that about prime. I do use google photos and love that!

rdjrneace 07-07-2019 07:34 PM

I use Amazon Photos, Google Photos and Shutterfly (overkill I know but I just can't stand to think I could lose all of my photos)

SeattleSheri 07-07-2019 07:53 PM

I use it. You have to pay a premium if you exceed a certain amount of storage for videos, but it's still super inexpensive ($1/month). The only issue I have is when I upload large TIFFs, it takes forever (probably because each one of my pages is the size of a kit, lol).

rdjrneace 07-07-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleSheri (Post 1062964903)
I use it. You have to pay a premium if you exceed a certain amount of storage for videos, but it's still super inexpensive ($1/month). The only issue I have is when I upload large TIFFs, it takes forever (probably because each one of my pages is the size of a kit, lol).

SeattleSheri, I never thought of saving my layouts to Amazon Photos -- you do this the same way you save photos?

SeattleSheri 07-07-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdjrneace (Post 1062964904)
SeattleSheri, I never thought of saving my layouts to Amazon Photos -- you do this the same way you save photos?

I do! I upload both the jpg and the TIFF. I'm too lazy to do all of my kits, but they upload too.

craftytam 07-07-2019 11:42 PM

I have Backblaze, and use Google Photos. We are Prime members. Maybe I should look into that, too!

britaneejean 07-08-2019 12:39 AM

I use Dropbox, Google Photos, Amazon Photo, & Backblaze. Also paid for iCloud storage.

joelsgirl 07-08-2019 02:41 AM

I don't have Amazon Prime, but I use Google Photos & Carbonite.

I recently had to pay my subsription to Carbonite, and I'm thinking that if my photos are on an EHD & backed up to Google Photos, and my files are backed up to Google Drive, is it really worth $110 a year to store my kits? I think that a backup EHD seems like a better investment than Carbonite. What do y'all think?

kristalund 07-08-2019 08:36 AM

I use EHD, SmugMug and Crashplan. I have Prime; I need to look into that!

scrap2day 07-08-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdjrneace (Post 1062964901)
I use Amazon Photos, Google Photos and Shutterfly (overkill I know but I just can't stand to think I could lose all of my photos)

Not overkill. I lost all of my photos on Winkflash when they changed owners. Luckily it wasn't ALL of my photos, and they may be burned to a CD somewhere, but it was a very upsetting experience. I read one heartbreaking story from another one of their customers where they had lost all of the photos of her husband with their kids and her husband had since passed. In my opinion, it pays to choose multiple back ups, including printing some hard copies.

carrie1977 07-08-2019 10:21 AM

I love my Amazon Prime photo storage. I have the app on my phone and it automatically uploads my photos from my phone.

Leablahblah 07-08-2019 04:33 PM

Alright!! I’m convinced! The only thing now is I probably have to be a Prime member for the rest of my life to keep my files lol

StacyLynn 08-07-2019 11:41 AM

Oh my goodness! So happy I found this thread! I had heard about Prime having unlimited photo storage! (We just started Prime in January) Just checked it out, and now my phone and desktop and backing pics up!! Thank you!!! Thank you!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

tamhuddle 08-07-2019 11:51 AM

I haven't investigated a lot of my prime benefits ... including photo storage. Currently I back up to two EHDs and Smugmug. I worry about free sites (seen too many of them disappear) and Google is just not who I want to give access to all my stuff to, so I choose to pay for Smugmug. They've been good stewards of my stuff for close to ten years and I've seen them actually host failed free sites for a time JUST to help people retrieve their photos before the failures. I update my externals periodically and replace them every once in a while (I'm afraid they will die from underuse lol).

tamhuddle 08-07-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdjrneace (Post 1062964901)

No such thing as overkill when it comes to protecting your photos, in my opinion. I paid around $1300 to recover photos about 15 years ago. Never ever gonna go through that pain again :(

bcgal00 08-07-2019 11:58 AM

I store LOs and jpegs at smugmug but have amazon prime (for Canada) and haven't really looked into the photo storage there. I should since I pay for Prime anyway. I store photos on 2 EHDs since losing 1000s a few yrs ago. Not going to let that happen again.