Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   School's Out, where did my scrapping time go!? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90944)

aussiegirl 06-19-2019 05:14 PM

School's Out, where did my scrapping time go!?

the girls are officially out of school (as of this past Friday)!! I love having them home for the summer, but WOW! I have yet to really find "me" time. The 2nd oldest is currently in Driver's Training, so we actually do more running around with her now than we did during the school year!

My calendar for June has 3 full dates with NOTHING on them! Out of a full month! I feel it has been go, go, go since school got out!

I know things will calm down after this month (there's hardly anything on the calendar for July).

I just need to figure out a schedule where I get computer time! :)

bcgal00 06-19-2019 06:22 PM

I think a lot of us are busier over the summer and not scrapping quite as much. I I know that I get outdoors more, go away on wkends and slow down my scrapping time a bit for a few months.

Kiana 06-19-2019 06:35 PM

I feel you. It feels like summer always is so go-go-go

nietis 06-19-2019 10:05 PM

School is not out yet for my little man until the middle of next month, but the heat is slowing me down... The ridiculous humidity is knocking me out all the time!!

LeeAndra 06-20-2019 12:13 AM

This month has been and will be go-go-go but in a different way for us.

During the school year, I was taking them to 2 different schools, helping my daughter with her school work and extra-currics, and trying to participate in my volunteer and church commitments while finding childcare for one or both kids. Her extra-currics all take the summer off & having them at one place 5 minutes from our house (as opposed to their schools that were 20+ minutes away) has made things less chaotic.

The kids have had camp all week from 5:30 pm until 8:45 pm so it's been a lot of work getting them there (have to go directly from work to babysitter's to camp) & remembering to bring their dinner to eat in the car + their camp teeshirts but the couple hours I get kid-free have been great. ;)

This weekend they're off to their grandparents until Friday and then going to the lake over Fourth of July weekend. I'm not sure what I'll do with myself! Maybe I'll get lots of scrapping & home projects & friend stuff done so that when they're back in July, I can take a couple days off work & hang with them.

LynnZant 06-20-2019 06:51 AM

It used to be up by 5 am and the kids were on the bus by 6:30. Now, I'm lucky to be out of bed by 6:30. I'm on turtle mode without the schedule, so I don't get much done.

aussiegirl 06-20-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nietis (Post 1062963294)
School is not out yet for my little man until the middle of next month, but the heat is slowing me down... The ridiculous humidity is knocking me out all the time!!

Yuck for humidity! Our temps seem a little off so far this summer. We've had more rainy days than hot. I'm not complaining, I know the heat and humidity are out there...just around the corner!

Praying you find some relief from the heat!

aussiegirl 06-20-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeAndra (Post 1062963296)
This month has been and will be go-go-go but in a different way for us.

During the school year, I was taking them to 2 different schools, helping my daughter with her school work and extra-currics, and trying to participate in my volunteer and church commitments while finding childcare for one or both kids. Her extra-currics all take the summer off & having them at one place 5 minutes from our house (as opposed to their schools that were 20+ minutes away) has made things less chaotic.

The kids have had camp all week from 5:30 pm until 8:45 pm so it's been a lot of work getting them there (have to go directly from work to babysitter's to camp) & remembering to bring their dinner to eat in the car + their camp teeshirts but the couple hours I get kid-free have been great. ;)

This weekend they're off to their grandparents until Friday and then going to the lake over Fourth of July weekend. I'm not sure what I'll do with myself! Maybe I'll get lots of scrapping & home projects & friend stuff done so that when they're back in July, I can take a couple days off work & hang with them.

So glad you have less running to do! Enjoy your time to yourself! I vote for sleep in, binge watch a couple shows/movies, and then scrap!

aussiegirl 06-20-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnZant (Post 1062963310)
It used to be up by 5 am and the kids were on the bus by 6:30. Now, I'm lucky to be out of bed by 6:30. I'm on turtle mode without the schedule, so I don't get much done.

I know! During the school year, I get up at 5:30am to get the High Schooler's ready and on the bus by 6:35am. Now, we are sleeping in some...but Driver's Training is in the morning, so we are still having to get up, just not as early.

By the time we're picking her up from her class, the younger 2 are rolling out of bed! It's like we're all on different schedules still and trying to figure out how to fit into each others. I look forward to Julyl when Driver's Training is over and we can sleep in...until like 9 or 10!

aussiegirl 06-20-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgal00 (Post 1062963290)
I think a lot of us are busier over the summer and not scrapping quite as much. I I know that I get outdoors more, go away on wkends and slow down my scrapping time a bit for a few months.

yes, summer is a good time to unwind, relax, and slow down! I look forward to all that either July or Aug (in time for school to start up again!) ;)

AmieN1 06-20-2019 01:17 PM

Seriously! TOtally agree! While it's nice to have chore helpers, sometimes they don't 'help' as much as I'd like! ;)

We were eager beavers signing kids up for camps to keep them busy, but of course that means we are transporting all over the place & it's driving me insane! ;) Pun intended! lol! AUGUST is looking REAL nice- NO camps, a family road trip to the beach & just a blank calendar!!!

aussiegirl 06-20-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ (Post 1062963291)
I feel you. It feels like summer always is so go-go-go

So, what I'm reading is, you don't want me to send my girls to your house for the summer?! They'd love a trip to Chicago!! ;)

We'll actually be in your area the end of this month for our cousin's Graduation Open House from her Master's Program! If it was going to be an extended time, I would try to meet up. But we are going from her party to my Dad's up in Grand Rapids!

icindi 06-20-2019 08:21 PM

Hope you can find some time Dawn! I am thankful I am beyond the chauffeur days!

Sherly, if your son gets out of school in another month, when does he go back in the fall?

I have three kids home this summer and we have traveled some. It's been busy, and it's about to get busier with hosting an exchange student from France. I have a feeling the summer is going to fly by!

aussiegirl 06-20-2019 09:52 PM

Amie- Aug is partly empty right now, but we also have 3 birthdays that month, so I know it gets busy! It's still a couple months away, so it's possible it will still fill up. It sounds like you have some fun things plan-ned! Take tons of photos!

Cindi- Good luck with the Exchange Student! Friends of ours had one, but they didn't go through any organization, and found out things are done differently. They weren't given money for food, clothes, or basic needs. Her family didn't send any gifts at Christmas (the host family bought things for her out of their own pocket). I really hope your experience is a much better one!

You have all boys correct? Is the Exchange Student also a boy?

nietis 06-20-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiegirl (Post 1062963335)
Yuck for humidity! Our temps seem a little off so far this summer. We've had more rainy days than hot. I'm not complaining, I know the heat and humidity are out there...just around the corner!

Praying you find some relief from the heat!

Thanks! I wish it would just rain here, too, instead, we have those sunny/cloudy but super humid days, where you think it should just rain instead. I am still thankful for the occasional breezes, though. Otherwise, it's too unbearable.

nietis 06-20-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icindi (Post 1062963364)
Sherly, if your son gets out of school in another month, when does he go back in the fall?

He won't start school again until the beginning of September, Cindi. He'll get approximately 6 weeks of summer holidays, if I am not wrong.

rach3975 06-21-2019 12:50 AM

Opposite is true for me--I'm off work for the summer, so even with the kids home I feel like I've had more scrapping time (and time for everything else) than I did all year. I only work part time, but the school year is much more go-go-go for us. It also helps so much that I'm not up at 6 am every day! I've always been a late-night scrapper, so the early wake ups needed to get the high schooler and middle schooler off on time do me in. I've been able to sleep until 7:30 or 8 every day this week, so I'm actually awake enough to get pages done at night. I love it!

School just ended (the 13th), so this week and next week are low key for us. I've planned a few home days, a few days when we're doing things like the pool or movies, and a few bigger outings. After that I'll get busier running kids to different activities, but I may end up with the same amount of free time since I'll be doing more drop offs whereas now I'm doing things with them. We'll see. I dreaded summer break when the kids were younger, but it's easier now that they're older and 2 of them can stay home without me.

JennNtheBoys 06-21-2019 10:08 AM

School isn't officially out until next Friday here, but I can say that the month of June has been BONKERS and I can't wait for that first week of summer vacay where everything slows down before it gets busy with summer fun. I haven't done much for scrapping this month so I am ready for a spare day or two to get some pages done.

Neverland Scraps 06-21-2019 11:54 AM

Yikes!! You were pretty busy when we were there visiting, I can only imagine with them all out of school how much more busier you've become!! I hope you are able to find time scrappy time and chatting time--especially in July because I'm sure we'll have so much catching up to do!! :wub:

Sherri Tierney 07-01-2019 12:19 AM

School has been out 6 weeks here. We have 6 weeks left until we go back. I'm off all summer so this is usually my scrappy time. Nope. I made the mistake of taking 4 summer courses. These are condensed courses so each week has 2 weeks worth of assignments. Its the equivalent of 8 classes and I am going crazy! I'm off this week for 4th of July and then THREE weeks left! I can do it! LOL

Anyway, summer is never peaceful anymore here. My oldest had 4 weeks of college classes out of town (stayed in the dorms during the week, came home on the weekends) and a week of camp. She also works at the movie theatre in her spare time. She doesn't have a license yet (SOON!) so I am driving her everywhere. I feel like there is never time to do anything!

icindi 07-01-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiegirl (Post 1062963369)

Cindi- Good luck with the Exchange Student! Friends of ours had one, but they didn't go through any organization, and found out things are done differently. They weren't given money for food, clothes, or basic needs. Her family didn't send any gifts at Christmas (the host family bought things for her out of their own pocket). I really hope your experience is a much better one!

You have all boys correct? Is the Exchange Student also a boy?

My sister had an exchange student for a school year and had a similar experience as your friends—the student had no money so she paid for everything. This is for a month over the summer with a family we know and we will do the same, pay for everything for the student. Their family did the same when my kids visited them in France, too. We will have a girl this summer! The previous two we hosted were boys. My son’s all met her when they were in France and my youngest has been texting her for months so she should be pretty comfortable here. He also has a lot of female friends so she will not be alone.
We decided to take her to the Grand Canyon, so that should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussiegirl 07-02-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icindi (Post 1062964302)
My sister had an exchange student for a school year and had a similar experience as your friends—the student had no money so she paid for everything. This is for a month over the summer with a family we know and we will do the same, pay for everything for the student. Their family did the same when my kids visited them in France, too. We will have a girl this summer! The previous two we hosted were boys. My son’s all met her when they were in France and my youngest has been texting her for months so she should be pretty comfortable here. He also has a lot of female friends so she will not be alone.
We decided to take her to the Grand Canyon, so that should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be fun for you to have a girl under foot! I hope you have a wonderful time at the Grand Canyon! It sounds like you have a plan, and have it all worked out! That's great! It was our friend's first experience, and they had no idea how it all worked. They now know that there experience wasn't the norm. I hope you all have a wonderful summer with her! That's great that you all kinda know her already! I bet that helps! :)

a84martin 07-03-2019 09:44 AM

My summer is booked for the most part, I think I have had 1 weekend where we didn't have anything planned. As I work full time, it has been really hard finding time to be creative. It's crazy how once kids are out of school, everything seems to get busier and busier!

aussiegirl 07-05-2019 09:09 AM

Well, I still haven't found much computer time! We are currently dog sitting, and they both woke up early this morning (way too early for summer vacation). So, I took advantage of everyone else being asleep to get on the computer!

Things haven't calmed down any, and July looked empty on the calendar, but the things that are planned will make this month fly by! there's always Aug!

Wishing you all many happy scrapping days, and wonderful summer memories (stay cool....I hate summer heat and humidity).

Oh, and if any of my CT designers are reading this, I am still alive....just haven't found time to scrap! Don't give up on me yet! ;)