Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I require recipes. (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34172)

AnnieBananie 09-24-2009 11:37 AM

I require recipes.

I need some new freaking dinner/supper recipes. I'm bored with my standbys... so lay them on me. It just has to be husband AND kid-friendly... like DH probably won't eat hot dogs unless he HAS to and the kids won't eat... uh... stuff that's fancy. lol :D

I'm looking in Lena and Tab's direction but everyone should probably reply with something, k? Yes, even you there... the lurker... yes you, in the back row wearing the gray shirt. You. Now. *snortgiggle*

Thanks chicks (and dude)... I know we did a "kid-friendly" recipe thread a bit ago but I can't freaking find it so we should probably just do another one *nod* lol

ColleenSwerb 09-24-2009 12:06 PM

Do you guys like zucchini? I made a recipe from Real Simple the other day and I really liked it. It was sans tomato sauce, but a little bland for my taste, so next time I'll probably use some sauce. It's also the simplest ever.

Make pasta of choice.
Cut up some zucchini (the recipe also called for chick peas but I was too lazy to go out and get them) and in a little pan drizzle in some olive oil and some minced garlic. Throw in the zucc's, and saute them for a bit until tender and cooked. (I believe you add the chick peas to this too)
In a bowl (I like bowls better for pasta for some reason) or on a plate, dish out some pasta, add some sauce, and then add the zucc's (and chic peas if you made them too) on top. Toss on some parm cheese (or shredded mozz which I like better sometimes) and serve. If you're feeling saucy, make some garlic bread too :P

If you go sans sauce, reserve some of the pasta water, and then mix the veggies with the water, add a little oil to the pasta and toss, pour veggies over the pasta, then add parm.

Kat Stokes 09-24-2009 12:09 PM

Kraft foods dot com.

Tasty Kitchen

My standbys are Tacos, Baked Beef Burritos, Grilled Chicken with rice and a veggie, spaghetti, and chicken pesto pasta.

I'm making artichoke chicken with roasted potatoes tonight. If it's good, I'll post the recipe tomorrow. :)

Rae's World 09-24-2009 12:11 PM

ok FINE!!

Here is what I have. Last night I made Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole. Um, yeah, it was yum-o!!!

2lbs uncooked hamburger (93%**)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 can cream of soup (chicken, mushroom, broccoli, whatever you like, we do chicken)
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 - 1 cup of real bacon bits (not those hard things in the salad section, unless you like those!!)
1 bag of frozen tater tots

Preheat over to 375

Mix raw hamburger and spinach with salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl. The smaller the spinach is chopped the better it mixes and less noticeable.*** Press hamburger into a flat layer in a 9x13 pan. Spread the cream soup over top. (Add any desirable veggies here, sliced carrots, peas, corn, more spinach, whatever, just make it an even layer) Sprinkle cheese evenly over top than sprinkle the bacon over the cheese. Add the whole bag of tots. It will be one layer but you will probably have to rearrange them a bit to cover all the cheese. You can put a couple of dashes over Lawery's season salt on top if you wish or even a bit of salt and pepper. You are your discretion.

Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-15min. Eat with a salad. DH adds a bit of ketchup for dipping purposes. Yummy!!

**I say use 93% fat free meat because when it bakes the dripping from the hamburger stay in the pan. (3% has very little and is not notice able. If you choose to use anything less than 93% please cook and drain the meat first. Stir in the spinach, place in the bottom of the pan and proceed as directed. You will not have to cook as long. Probably only about 25-30 minutes total)

*** I always add spinach to any dinner I can. I call it Parsley in my house. You can kind of jumble the leaves all together and chop them up. They add absolutely no flavor to any dish. This dish is very versatile. Feel free to add any veggies you wish. It is up to you and what your family will eat. Enjoy!!!

AnnieBananie 09-24-2009 12:28 PM

Col, it's funny you should mention that recipe... the kids LOVE diced zucchini in their spaghetti sauce... I wonder if they'll go for chickpeas. I should just try it ninja-style and see what happens.

Kat... I love those sites! I just get too lazy to peruse through all of the recipes LMAO. YES! Please LMK if that chicken stuff is any good... I lurves me some artichokes!

Rachel! YUM! And good thinking on the spinach! I'd have to either chop the dickens out of it or something... DS is a veggie-a-phobe to the max... but the idea rocks. Thanks!

scrapperjade 09-24-2009 12:30 PM

No. I refuse... you can't make me! :p

AnnieBananie 09-24-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapperjade (Post 534522)
No. I refuse... you can't make me! :p

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/o.../shakefist.gif

Leila 09-24-2009 02:05 PM

Both of the boys love these:

Creamy Ranch Pork Chops & Rice just add a veggie of choice.
Kielbasa Casserole
Zesty Chicken Meatloaf
Salsa Chicken

Shepherd's Pie (I tweak this one--if you want to know how, let me know.)

They're also big fans of grilled swordfish served with cous cous and garlic peas.

rach3975 09-24-2009 02:14 PM

One of the few meals that ALL of us will eat is bean burritos. DH and I eat them as burritos, and the kids get litte piles of rice, beans, and corn along with cheese quesadillas. Works with leftover meat, too, but I'm a vegetarian so we usually stick to meatless on burrito night.

dana 09-24-2009 02:38 PM

a few of my college friends started this site - it is free to sign up, and you receive a weekly dinner menu each week with recipes (and a grocery list if you want) :) even if i don't use all the recipes in one week, there are usually a couple i want to try :)

Stacey42 09-24-2009 03:01 PM

we do a lot of soup and sandwiches this time of year. Homemade creamy insert veggie here soup. (Simmer copped veggies in broth with onions & a chopped potato until tender then puree in an blender, add cream if you wish). Or noodle soup made with broth, broken up spaghetti and grated carrots. The sandwiches are grilled cheese, grilled ham & cheese, grilled turkey and cheese, grilled leftover steak & zucchini with cheese, etc

DawnMarch 09-24-2009 04:24 PM

This:

Hot and Spicy Drumsticks

These are so easy and yummy. Even my son likes these and he hates everything. I make his without the hot sauce, and next time, I am going to use maybe chicken thighs instead.

Leah 09-24-2009 05:40 PM

Here's our staple-meals...

Homemade chicken fingers and french fries (last night we had sweet potato fries...interesting) - I make the chicken fingers with Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuit crackers - AWESOME!

Homemade meatloaf - Another awesome recipe (it'll make you a believer!) LOL

Fish sticks and fries

Homemade S&S meat sauce and rice

Tacos {big surprise} - but this is a treat at our house, we don't have it often enough

However...TACO Bake...a HUGE favorite of DH's (shocker) and it's awesome!

Can't think of the rest right now, but PM me if you want a recipe or catch me on Yahoo. :)

4noisyboys 09-24-2009 06:21 PM

We really don't do casseroles...I'm not a fan of cream type soup things and what not's all mixed together.

My boys most favorite meal though is parmesan baked chicken. I almost always use boneless skinless thighs...italian bread crumbs, fresh grated parmesan, drizzled with butter and baked. YUMMMM

I work 4 nights this week, so on those nights, I'll throw chicken in a marinade and they can bbq it when my dh gets home, and I buy the premade bagged salads for them.

I think my boys new fave though is salmon patties. I don't buy the cheap salmon (I actually had some home canned boneless skinless red salmon from my sil in Alaska) and found a fabulous recipe online for those. I bought some more red salmon from Costco too (canned) and omg...they were so delicious. I served them with the raspberry chipotle sauce from Costco. Add a salad...and again...yum!

It's still over 100 degrees here, so we still do salads for dinner, like Chinese Chicken Salad. My son in TX had to learn to make it because he missed it so much!

Ok, that's it for now. You know where to find me if you need a recipe! LOL!

so, as you can tell, I don't cook a lot!

and I wish my boys would eat meatloaf. I LOVE meatloaf and mashed potatoes smothered in ketchup. I think I'll make some just for my dh and me!

Priscilla 09-24-2009 06:24 PM

let me think :P

jessica31876 09-24-2009 06:24 PM

I love the grocery store near us (publix if you have one near you)

They have some super yummy recipes and will cook them up in store for you to taste them you get the recipe cards there free and can also print them up from the internet.

http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/SimpleMeals.do

jessica31876 09-24-2009 06:25 PM

and here is some for kid-approved on that site:

http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/C...peList.do#Kids

AnnieBananie 09-24-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4noisyboys (Post 534715)
Chinese Chicken Salad

I need this recipe!

nesser1981 09-24-2009 06:57 PM

These are some of my favorites that Keira eats.

Italian Casserole

Sloppy Joe Bake

BBQ Pork Sandwiches on Hawaiian Rolls

Bubble Up Pizza Casserole

Tamale Pie

Poppy Seed Chicken

4noisyboys 09-24-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieBananie (Post 534725)
I need this recipe!

Good thing I have it saved on my computer! I have to print it out or send it everytime I make it and bring it somewhere! It's a crowd pleaser!

I double this, and I buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco or anywhere really instead of cooking chicken up.

Chinese Chicken Salad
1 boneless chicken breast cooked and shredded
1 pound shredded cabbage (about 1/2 of a large packed head)
4 green onions
2 oz slivered almonds
2 T sesame seeds
1 package chicken ramen noodles (save the flavored packet for dressing)

Toast almonds and sesame seeds under broiler. Cool.
Chop onions and mix with cabbage and chicken. Add noodles, almonds and sesame seeds. Add dressing 1/2 hour before serving.

Dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt ( I don’t use this)
3 T red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pkg chicken flavor from noodles

Blessed 09-24-2009 08:15 PM

Taco Pizza

This is soooooo good.

Taco Pizza

• 20 small corn tortillas, approximately
• Olive Oil
• 1 lb. ground beef
• 1 package of taco seasoning
• 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 (8 oz.) package tube of crescent rolls (so you will need to buy two tubes)
• 16 oz. of sour cream
• 2 cups of taco cheese, shredded
• Ice berg lettuce, chopped
• 1 to 2 tomatoes, chopped
• Sliced olives (optional)

First, you need to cut the corn tortillas in thin strips. I cut the tortilla in half and then cut my strips. Then you fry them in small batches at a time in hot olive oil in a skillet or wok. You want them to turn out crispy…so you might need to experiment a little to figure out how long to cook them. It is important to lay them out on paper towels to drain…otherwise, they will turn out kind of soggy.

Next brown the ground beef and mix the taco seasoning according to package direction. On a pizza pan arrange crescent rolls to resemble a pizza crust. On top of the crescent rolls, put one layer of tortilla strips, then the ground beef mixture, dollops of sour cream over the pizza, shredded taco cheese, and then add the remaining tortilla strips. Bake at 325°F for 20-25 minutes.

Then after baking, you can add the chopped lettuce, tomatoes, sliced olives and more sour cream if desired.

AnnieBananie 09-24-2009 08:20 PM

Oh Debra that salad sounds so good and easy! Thanks!

Blessed 09-24-2009 08:30 PM

Bakes Ziti!

Here's another good one!

Baked Ziti
  • 1 lb ziti pasta
  • 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
  • ¾ lb. provolone cheese, sliced
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 16 oz. sour cream
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • ½ cup to 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.

Brown onion, garlic and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce and oregano, and simmer 15 minutes.

Layer as follows in buttered 8x12 inch baking dish; ½ of the ziti, salt, provolone cheese, sour cream, ½ spaghetti sauce, remaining ziti, salt, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

(Note: Add salt after each layer of pasta. To me it gives the dish a better flavor!)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cheeses are melted.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

4noisyboys 09-25-2009 01:35 AM

The baked ziti recipe is something I could have ready for my family to put into the oven if I have to work at night. They'd like that. They are ok with making spaghetti, but my dh works pretty far away from home right now and is pretty wiped out when he comes home. I hate for him to have to cook too.

I think I'm going to try the taco pizza. It is something they'll all eat (except for one that just moved back home, but he'll just have to buy all his own food....he's picky, and we don't do picky anymore here!)

Blessed 09-25-2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4noisyboys (Post 534887)
The baked ziti recipe is something I could have ready for my family to put into the oven if I have to work at night. They'd like that. They are ok with making spaghetti, but my dh works pretty far away from home right now and is pretty wiped out when he comes home. I hate for him to have to cook too.

I think I'm going to try the taco pizza. It is something they'll all eat (except for one that just moved back home, but he'll just have to buy all his own food....he's picky, and we don't do picky anymore here!)

I do that with the Baked Ziti too. I prepare it and freeze it for a later time. I also love the Taco Pizza...my kids devour both dishes. Let me know how you like it. :)

Priscilla 09-25-2009 06:41 PM

that pizza sounds reallyl good, hehe